facebook

rec letters

by: Stressing

So I have been debating to rush or not, and it's almost July so I need to know if I should register or not. I am not knowledgable whatsoever about the process and dates and times so is it too late to be sending letters of recommendation to the sororities? Are recommendation letters extremely necessary? Oh my I just wish I knew more August is so soon :(

Posted By: Stressing
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: GoGreek   

It's July. If you're not knowledgable about the Rush process and don't have any recs lined up (yes, you need them & will get cut by most houses for not having one), I would not recommend going through rush this year.

Enjoy your freshman year. Make good grades (3.0 GPA at the minimum), get involved on campus (freshman leadership organizations are well thought-of), and meet sorority women in your dorm, classes, and activities. If you want to go through rush as a sophomore, plan ahead next spring for Fall 2016 rush and you should be able to have a successful one! All houses take sophomores.

By: GoGreek
by: I disagreeJul 1, 2015 8:08:00 AM

You still have time. Just contact the local sorority alum chapters or go to the sorority websites for info on how to get rec letters. It is not too late. I sent all my stuff in last year at the end of July and got into a so-called "top house".

Yes, all houses take sophomores...but not many. They would rather have freshman. You need to be a super stand out sophomore to get into a good house. Half the girls going through recruitment don't know anything about the process either. You're not the only one. Sit down one day, do your research at home, and just get the rec letters done.

By: I disagree
by: Also disagreeJul 1, 2015 12:37:07 PM

Getting in to sororities at A&M is much much more difficult as a sophomore. It can be done, but you will need to be a full package in terms of looks, grades, and connections. Obviously you will need rec letters as a sophomore as well. But rushing as a freshman, I only had a few letters and I got a bid to my top choice because I had good grades, lots of HS involvement, I made sure my clothes and makeup looked good, and I practiced conversation a lot.

You might be cut from chapters with a lot of legacies, but if you are a "complete package" PNM then you will definitely have choices on pref night.

By: Also disagree
#2  by: GoGreek   

Rushing for the first time as a sophomore usually yields good results. Those are the sophomores we want: involved & great grades!

Sophomore rush has a bad rap because of the large number of girls who go through for a second time expecting different results. Newsflash: if Kappa didn't want you as a freshman and you think you're too good for the so called "bottom" houses that did want you, you're 99.99% guaranteed to not be wanted by Kappa as a sophomore. Yet, every year a good number of sophomores who dropped out try again.

By: GoGreek
#3  by: Okay   

As a member of a competitive house (I hate using ranks) which also has a number of legacies, I can say that we did offer bids to girls who had not previously sent in a rec letter. The girls we offer bids to are often pretty, have good grades and activities, and their personalities match. While it is common to cut "average" PNMs with no recs the first round, if you have good qualities then we'll find a way to offer you a bid. Without going too much into member selection, I can tell you that some houses are more academic while others are more face and socially oriented. Usually we can tell that about PNMs after the first round and make cuts accordingly. If you're in-state, then there will probably be someone who knows your high school, knows an alumna who knows you, or knows someone who knows of you, and we can try to make a judgement on that.

Bottom line: try to get those recs in ASAP, and go through rush this year. If you feel like you weren't given a fair chance because you didn't have recs, then try again next year. You never know what could happen this year.

By: Okay

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.