facebook

heathen girl

by: Christian Houses

Are there any sororities that are known to be more "Christian" than others? I realize at A&M there will be a lot of religious people, but I personally am not. I'm good friends with people who are religious so that doesn't bother me, but I would feel uncomfortable if people try to pressure me into going to Breakaway or start chapter meetings with a prayer or give me advice/inspiration via Bible verses. I know we're not supposed to talk Bible during our recruitment parties, but I kind of want to know where each house stands. Are there any non-religious sorority girls out there who can talk about their experience? Thanks in advance for your advice!

Posted By: Christian Houses
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Whoops   

I totally switched up the nickname and topic, sorry!

By: Whoops
#2  by: A&M Greek   

Honestly, I think you'll have a tough time finding a sorority that doesn't have some religious tendencies. Being in the south, a lot of us tend to support Christianity as a whole so sororities tie in bible verses, prayer groups, etc. That's just my opinions on what I've seen.

By: A&M Greek
#3  by: yep   

I think all sororities...mine for sure.... all over the country probably open meetings/ceremonies, etc with Bible verses. Sororities were started by Christian women and based on Christian values. That doesn't mean anyone will beat you over the head with it. Most of us are not into cramming it down anyone's throat. On the other hand, most of us don't want someone coming in who is planning to try to beat us over the head with their non-Christian values either. Works both ways

By: yep
#4  by: True Dat   

Spot on. Each and every one of the 12 major national sororities at A&M is bible-based/ Christian or based on Judeo-Christian teachings. Most evident during initiation/ rituals etc. Scripture is the basis of the founding of these exclusive groups of "like minded" friends who support each other and care for each other.
It's a great honor to be invited to join one of these sisterhoods and there is is a life-long bond that develops when you live the creeds and teachings of the groups.
If you don't respect that history and don't like it please please join another club or group and not a sorority!!! It's not for everyone.

By: True Dat
#5  by: Please listen   

all houses have all kinds of girls

By: Please listen
#6  by: Agnostic and In a House   

There are houses known to be a little more religious than others. While I'm not in a house known for being overly religious, most girls in my house are religious and we do have bible study as a sisterhood event- but the sorority experience is generally focused on being social and making friends. Yes girls are going to go to Breakaway and church together, but its not a big deal if you don't. Your sisters will love you either way, and you will find like-minded sisters who share your beliefs! I will say is that ritual usually does involve the Bible, but its nothing major.

By: Agnostic and In a House
#7  by: OP   

Thank you all for taking the time to answer my question (and with no sarcasm too, that must be a first for this site!) I'm actually attending a Christian private school now so I'm not a stranger to institutions with Christian roots. I'm totally cool with the Bible being used in rituals and initiation, it doesn't bother me at all. What I'm a little more worried about are the day to day interactions with potential future sisters. I wouldn't dream of making fun of anyone's beliefs or try to convert them, but I will get annoyed if people I've known for months try to get me to go to bible study or church or take part in a mandatory prayer circle. I also don't want to feel left out or pitied or have someone "pray for me" because I have differing beliefs. However some of what y'all have said assuaged my fears a bit, thanks!

Also, I know to take everything on this site with a grain of salt, but could y'all answer one more question for me? Which houses are known for having a higher number of religious girls and which ones are more, say, progressively minded? I know membership demographics is something sororities will go over during recruitment but I was told explicitly to not talk about religion of any kind during conversations. Thanks again for your insight!

By: OP
by: well...May 1, 2015 6:48:31 AM

I would actually encourage you to ask about chapter Bible studies and opportunities like that. The answer you get might lead you to your answer about which houses have more religious girls based on the size of their Bible study program. Keep in mind that this is Texas A&M and most girls are going to come from Christian backgrounds but there are different kinds of girls in every chapter and no matter what house you join you will find girls you get along with and respect your beliefs and values just as you respect theirs.

By: well...
by: Not sure I would bring itMay 1, 2015 5:57:55 PM

up. No one is going to cram it down your throat, bu personally, I think Theta is very religious and Chi O is behind them on the spectrum.

By: Not sure I would bring it
#8  by: Hey girl   

I am kind of like a semi-agnostic/Christmas & Easter church/still believe in God but not cray cray religious or anything, and I'm in one of the more religious sororities here. I will be honest with you, at first there is kind of a pressure to join the bible studies but that would be the same in any sorority, and the pressure doesn't come from the sorority, it's more like you want to make friends and meet people so you will want to join whatever is available to you. However, there are girls just like me in my chapter and we go out a lot together, but I also have friends and roommates who are very Christian and there's no friction between us either. I've liked it because I can ask questions about Christianity/scripture whenever I have one but I also have never felt as if people thought any less of me when I didn't go to church with them or when I stopped going to bible study. You might feel as if you're generally in the minority, but you won't ever be penalized for it. Hope that helps!

By: Hey girl

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.