facebook

snap bids?

by: newbie

What is a snap bid? I've seen some comments about how certain sororities give out snap bids during rush and I'm just curious what that means? Thanks!

Posted By: newbie
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: K   

If they don't make quota, they have to offer bids to additional girls like ones that dropped out or got dropped completely early in the recruitment process. It's the sign of a weak recruitment. It's not anything you should worry about (or count on and drop out because you think you'll get a snap bid to a desirable sorority. That doesn't happen.)

By: K
by: TCU SmartsJul 24, 2014 11:07:25 PM

Great explaination. A strong house does not need to snap bid because they have more than enough girls to fill their pledge class. Even if someone gets an offer of a snap bid you should take it as a warning sign that this may not be a house that is in its prime.

By: TCU Smarts
by: actually 2.0Jul 25, 2014 11:00:11 AM

Chapters can also snap to total too. You might take quota, but if you are still off from chapter total by a few, you can snap for those spots too. Doesn't always mean a weak recruitment. People transfer and life sometimes gets in the way and people have to withdraw from school completely. Sometimes people have to quit/resign/go inactive/move and it's for reasons completely out of the chapter's hands.

AND--you don't HAVE to offer bids to the ones that dropped out. Those are just the ones you call b/c you know they at least have an interest and you have their contact info, and hopefully someone in the chapter has talked to them and rated them at some point (depending on when they withdrew). Panhellenic isn't standing over you forcing you to call every single PNM that dropped out until you fill your spots.

By: actually 2.0
by: Crusty Old AlumnaAug 20, 2016 1:39:43 PM

Snap bidding is not always a function of a weak recruitment. It is frequently caused by the formula for invites being a little off. A chapter is forced to invite at a level that is slightly lower than the number it will take to get them to quota. This is particularly true with strong in-demand houses.

Obviously I'm not talking about chapters that are 10 or 20 plus off of quota, but more about the ones who are just a couple. Happens much more frequently than you'd believe.

By: Crusty Old Alumna
#2  by: actually   

I know someone who got a snap bid to a top four house.

By: actually
by: yepAug 20, 2016 11:04:23 AM

happens all the time

By: yep
#3  by: truth   

You shouldn't be worried about snap bids, but if for some reason you find yourself in a position to take one then you should be open to the process. I've seen it work out really well for some girls - they actually got into really good houses that way.

By: truth
#4  by: Tex   

That is not true. All houses have spots that open from people who decide sorority life is not their thing or they were hoping for their friends house and didn't get it or whatever the reason or transfer or something else. It doesn't mean a house is not desirable. In a house of 300 girls you have all kinds of girls.

By: Tex
by: Crusty Old AlumnaAug 20, 2016 1:42:06 PM

That situation is not really a snap bid. Snap bids are given out between preference and bid day activities. What you're describing is a COB bid.

By: Crusty Old Alumna
#5  by: Freshfroggy   

Bump

By: Freshfroggy
#6  by: Fish   

Did any chapters give out snap bids this time?

By: Fish
#7  by: Purple   

What houses offered snap bids this year?

By: Purple

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.