facebook

new attitude

by: @merry

We’ve all done it: logged onto GreekRank.com, typed in our school name found our own sorority/fraternity and then read the comments underneath that tell us exactly how we are perceived on campus, where we stand, what we look like and how hard we rage or don’t rage at mixers. It’s only natural to want to know what other people are saying about you and your entire organization. Representation goes a long way in Greek life, after all.

What is not natural, however, is girls ranking their top houses during rush based off of Greek Rank. It is not natural for a frat to deny a mixer with a sorority strictly based off how they are ranked on this website. And it most certainly is not justified for girls to go and bash an entire sorority in the comments just because they may not like one girl in it. Greek Rank is detrimental to us as a community. But it’s not just this; this website is only one aspect of the problem that is making us compete against one another as opposed to uniting us.

Greek politics, or the tier system, contradicts everything that we stand for as organizations on campus. What was meant to bring individuals together has instead pitted us against one another, seeing who can have the most attractive girls in their new pledge class or how many fraternities ask them to be homecoming partners.

We attend a school where frat boys play games like “guess what sorority she’s in” based solely off of what a girl looks like. It’s wrong that girls feel they are punished for choosing a home for themselves that is not considered “top tier.” Looking down on others because they chose a different path than you is not why you joined a sorority. Just because the Greek letters you wear on your sweatshirt are different from mine, doesn’t mean you’re better. And more importantly, who you mix with does not determine your worth.

Come graduation, when we all must leave behind our days of attending things like Theme parties and participating in Homecoming,employers won’t care that you mix with a top tier fraternity/sorority or that your house has a five star ranking on Greek Rank.

Don’t get me wrong. Having pride in your sorority and repping the letters individual to you and your sisters is something that made me want to join Greek life in the first place. There’s something about the exclusivity of being in a sorority unique to your sisterhood that really stands true to the phrase “the house chooses you.” There’s nothing wrong with thinking your house is the best. I would hope that’s the case if you joined it.

But thinking your house is the best at the expense of others on campus - or in turn feeling inadequate when compared to others - is not what Greek life stands for. There are over thousands of students in Greek life, all with the potential to make a difference. I say we focus more on making connections with each other and changing the Greek life stigma rather than self-ranking ourselves the hottest on a website that features articles chronicling Kim Kardashian’s crying face.

Posted By: @merry
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 4
#1  by: Stupid OU    

This all makes sense but OU greek cannot help the bashing. Its like the song "baby I was born this way".
It's all I know how to do that is why I'm at O U!!

By: Stupid OU
#2  by: @merry   

Good post

By: @merry
#3  by: @8 that great    

Their are some who just can't stop pointing fingers and making negative assumptions. Their addictive.

By: @8 that great
#4  by: @rankersanonymous    

Bump

By: @rankersanonymous
#5  by: @they are at it again   

I wish the madness would stop

By: @they are at it again
#6  by: ^^^   

So true!

By: ^^^
#7  by: @sotrue   

The crazies will never read and get what this article is saying. It does not fit their agenda.

By: @sotrue
#8  by: @growingup   

I agree with the post.

By: @growingup
#9  by: @youdon'tgetit   

This is a great piece to discuss

By: @youdon'tgetit
#10  by: @spotbias    

Not biased

By: @spotbias

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.