facebook

could be better

by: Go4It

We should take a page from University of Alabama or University of Missouri on how to run a Greek System more efficiently. Granted there are differences between their Greek Life and ours bit there's a ton of potential in increasing our numbers on campus. I'm guessing that there are between 2,500 - 4,000 students affiliated with all fraternities and sororities but if it's managed properly, it can grow to 6,000 - 8,500 strong. That's 18% - 25% of SDSU's 33,500 students. The growth will enable us to bring back dormant fraternities and sororities and invite new ones too.

Posted By: Go4It
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: bruh   

That sounds nice and all, the only problem is the school is trying to get rid of greek life if you haven't noticed. They want the exact opposite of what you want. The school is trying to change it's image from a party school to being an academic school, and since greeks have the biggest and best parties, if you chop the head off the snake the rest will die with it.

By: bruh
by: IssueFeb 24, 2015 12:01:58 PM

That seems to be the consensus belief. Everyone I know says that. The funny thing is our school has been trying to do that for probably 3+ decades now and guess what? There are more Greek organizations on campus. In fact, more students than ever are joining fraternities and sororities nationwide. The admin should know that their most loyal alumni are Greek members. In fact, when it comes to donors, the majority of SDSU Greeks donate more to our school than non-Greeks.

By: Issue
#2  by: The difference   

Look at what the top houses at Alabama and Mizzou have. Successful alumni, deep pockets, political influence, and insular recruiting.

Look at what the top houses at SDSU have. Parties. Until that is fixed, never compare SDSU to the others. Just enjoy the party, and enjoy your mediocre post-grad years. The top houses at SDSU are the biggest joke. Nothing more than a gaggle of CSB.

By: The difference
by: The OP is rightFeb 25, 2015 5:40:42 PM

We have what 'Bama and Mizzou has too - successful alumni, deep pockets, and political influence. I work part time for the SDSU Admin and Alumni Assoc. I've seen many documents that's probably confidential pertaining to our big donors. You seem to underestimate the influence of our wealthy alumni coz they have a strong pull on where and how certain projects are funded. Just coz SDSU isn't a traditional academic or athletic powerhouse doesn't mean we don't have what other more well-known schools have.

Every campus with Greek life has parties. In fact, Greek parties at schools with large Greek systems have bigger parties than SDSU. It's not the parties that's stopping the Greek system at SDSU from growing. It's the lack of partnership between our administration and the Greek system. All the negative news caused by Greeks overshadows all the positive things we've done and continue to do. 'Bama's Greek membership started growing significantly after the school decided to partner with its Greek system. All its freshman students with minimum 3.0 GPA are encouraged to rush. Girls who don't meet the minimum aren't allowed. Greek Life officials would even meet the families of potential students and talk to them about the benefits of joining a fraternity/sorority. Faculty members would also send recommendations to the Greek Affairs' office about some of their students who they think would be beneficial to fraternities/sororities.

By: The OP is right
by: @The differenceFeb 26, 2015 2:27:21 PM

Seriously? That’s your argument? I don’t know what cave you’ve been living in but every school with Greek life have tons of parties even at prestigious universities like Stanford, Johns Hopkins, Duke, Northwestern and the Ivy League schools. You make it sound as if Greek parties are exclusive to SDSU. The partying isn’t the problem but rather the anti-Greek atmosphere on campus. And that stems from the constant negative news generated by some fraternities/sororities. I think the majority of our professors don’t know how much of our Greek alum donates to school. If our Greek alumni decide to withhold their donation to SDSU, the percentage of donors would drop more than 60%. And the amount donated would also significantly decrease. That’s how much power and influence our Greek alumni have. Like I said in my initial comment, there’s a lot we can learn from Alabama and Mizzou and other schools with big Greek system so we can develop ours.

By: @The difference

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.