facebook

what are the real sorority rankings here?

by: Haylie

What are the real sorority rankings here? Top tier? Mid Tier? Bottom Tier?

Posted By: Haylie
Post Reply Report
Page 7 of 18
#61  by: ClassyGreek   

Kappa/Theta
Pi Phi/Tri Delt/Zeta
XO/AXO/DG
ADPi/A Phi
KD/AXiD
SDT (could get better when they start participating in formal recruitment)
And AEPhi rush different girls, but they are sweet ladies.

I'm not in a "Big 6" sorority, but I found girls that I am incredibly close with. I have truly met my best friends and know I made the right choice for me. That's what formal recruitment is all about. If you love a Big 6, perfect! Most of them seems like classy, beautiful ladies, but don't choose only based on that. UT's greek system is all top notch compared with other universities. Pledge based on who you want to spend the best four years of your life with.

By: ClassyGreek
by: ClassyGreekFeb 12, 2013 11:20:03 PM

Also, this is what I gather to be the general consensus around campus, not necessarily my personal opinion. Of course personally I would rank my sisters higher than everyone else:)

by: WellFeb 12, 2013 11:36:15 PM

To ClassyGreek, your sorority is lucky to have you.

By: Well
by: AgreeFeb 13, 2013 12:02:44 AM

with almost everything you said, except based on consensus around campus I'd switch XO and Zeta.

By: Agree
by: OrFeb 13, 2013 9:38:45 AM

No, it's common knowledge. Either leave it the way it is or move Pi Phi to first line and ChiO to second line.

By: Or
by: ItFeb 13, 2013 11:27:12 AM

May be tradition for pi phi to be top but recent pledge classes have not kept that the case... XO and Zeta have been able to get much better girls.

By: It
by: TriDeltFeb 13, 2013 12:24:40 PM

has been doing better than at least Zeta and probably at least on par with ChiO. Kappa gave out a lot of snap bids last year from what I recall, so the only one in the PKT who seems to be doing relatively ok is Theta.

By: TriDelt
#62  by: Feb 13   

UT has a wonderful Greek Community. The ying and yang of this site and all the others are typically a hand full of girls that feel left out, bitter, or just pissed off. Ten of the 13 houses are strong. You can chat "Big 6" all day long, this are strong houses, but they are not the only choice. The reality is with PKT, these houses have target girls they go after. So if you come here wondering if you can be a PKT, then the answer is no because girls that are destined to be PKTs know the are going to be PKTs and don't have to come her validations. Then there is Tri-Delt and Chi O. These houses go after the same girls as PKT and have their own target girls too. Chi O has a huge amount of dance team/Cheer in their houses and by nature that these girls cheer all summer together, the trend tends to continue. Chi O also has a large young life population. Zeta is a bit weird in that they are big 6 but they in my opinion suffer from a bit on an identity crisis. They go after top girls, have the skills to get them, but it is as if they go after them just for the challenge and not to build a sisterhood. DG & AXO go after top girls too but GPA is important and your high school 3.4 won't fly here. Sisterhood is extremely important in these two houses and they pledge a groups of cohesive girls so even if you are a "top" girl, if they don't think you are a good fit, they will show you the door. KD and Alpha Phi are very different, but very much the same as they try very hard

By: Feb 13
by: It's Feb 13, 2013 3:00:32 PM

not 10 strong of 13, I'd say it's 13 strong of 14. There are definitely differences between the top and bottom houses in there, but even the bottom of the sororities doing formal rush primarily associate with middle/lower middle tier fraternities. There are more and less relevant sororities, but none qualify as irrelevant or bad.

By: It's
#63  by: Feb 13 continued   

to land top girls, their round up gear is typically cute, but they just don't seem to hit the mark and end up with a weird assortment of girls...unusual might be a good work. ADPi also find themselves trying to get above average girls and this happens but many slip through their hands.

By: Feb 13 continued
#64  by: ClassyGreek   

@post 66- yes this is what I gather to be true. If you have a different opinion, you are more than welcome to share it. But saying rude things about other sororities makes you, and in turn your sisters, look bad. While you are obviously not one of the classy, beautiful ladies I was speaking of, your sisters might be. And I'm sure they don't want to be judged along side you and our snarky attitude.

#65  by: Sooo   

Like it or not, I think what separates the highest tiers from the others is they can afford to not even give 90% of the PNMs as much as a look. They are in a position to get who they want and most PNMs will have no chance of getting in there. They are unattainable by almost all PNMs and only go for those on their RTP list. Until a sorority is able to be in that position, they are not in the top tier, no matter how much better they have become over the years.

By: Sooo
by: MaybeFeb 16, 2013 2:32:15 AM

but I've seen a lot of the top sororities, especially the PKT throw a lot of bids to sub-par legacies, not necessarily the best rushees. Even if some are off limits to 90% of rushees doesn't mean they really get all of the top rushees by any means.

By: Maybe
by: 2013Feb 16, 2013 5:23:40 PM

all this arguing is nice and all but these are the groups competing for the same girls:

Kappa/Theta/Pi Phi/
Tri Delt/Zeta/ChiO
All the girls that ended up here wanted to be PKT. Tridelt, ZTA and Chi O get the left overs with maybe a few legacies thrown in..and the rest of girls that wanted a top 6 and didn't get it dropped out.

AXO/DG/ADPi/A Phi
These are the strong rushees that were not into the big six scene

The rest...
less than perfect rushees but still great girls looking for a sisterhood

By: 2013
by: YesFeb 16, 2013 8:49:03 PM

@maybe
It means those groups get their choice of who they want which isn't necessarily always the most perfect PNM (such as not so attractive legacies.) Those groups get the ones they want and can completely ignore everyone else. That's why Pi Phi has the dance party first round. They're just more honest about not even going through the motions of having conversations with girls they wouldn't even consider.

The further down in the tiers, the fewer choices a chapter has. They fight it out for the PNMs that were passed over by the chapters higher in the hierarchy. There's not anything wrong with those PNMs but they never even had a chance to go to a higher house. The big six miss out on a lot of great girls by operating that way, but it all comes back to it being their choice which is a luxury the lower groups don't have.

By: Yes
by: Ahh yesFeb 16, 2013 10:17:28 PM

The infamous dance party. I heard Panhellenic were implementing a feet on the ground rule next year because of that. A lot of girls basically drop Pi Phi immediately because more so than everyone else they give PNMs the vibe that they don't care about them if they aren't a legacy. The lower tiers actually get some really fun/attractive girls by virtue of the fact that some of the top chapters have huge blind spots.

By: Ahh yes
by: sorrynotsorryFeb 17, 2013 12:08:48 AM

"Like it or not, I think what separates the highest tiers from the others is they can afford to not even give 90% of the PNMs as much as a look."

If that's what you mean by top tier then Pi Phi and Kappa are definitely not top tier anymore. They gave out sorry ass snap bids for the past two years because they thought they can still "afford" to do that. If that's what you think is top tier, then that makes them at the BOTTOM

By: sorrynotsorry
by: SorryFeb 17, 2013 6:23:16 PM

Thats a complete fabrication made up by lower tier sororities and probably Thetas to make themselves feel better. People repeat that lie every year. Nice try though. Stop repeating untrue gossip.

By: Sorry
by: HahaFeb 17, 2013 6:38:14 PM

If it's a conspiracy it's the other PKTs doing it to each other. The lower tiers aren't fabricating you guy's snap bidding.

By: Haha
by: TruthFeb 21, 2013 6:32:14 PM

Oh please. The reason a third of rushees don't get a bid is because most of them drop out when they're left with choices like KD, AXiD, Zeta, APhi etc. once the best sororities have dropped them. Don't make it sound harder than it is. If girls would keep their minds open, a lot more would receive bids and the bottom houses would be much stronger.

By: Truth
#66  by: Honestly   

WHO CARES about ranks? It's ridiculous for everyone to be so concerned where their sorority falls... During rush, every girl was super nice to each other and became really good friends so WHY is it that once bid night is over, barriers have come up? Rankings do not matter at all! I have seen gorgeous girls with great personalities in the likes of KD and AXiD that are on par with girls in PKT. So why care what the letters are? It really is who the girls are and what they can bring to UT Greek life. Stop this hate speech against each other. Plus, it's so much harder to even get into a sorority here than it is most other colleges in the nation.

By: Honestly
by: Great pointFeb 17, 2013 7:12:25 PM

UT has one of the most competitive sorority rushes in the nation with over a third of the rushees not even getting a house. There are lots of great girls in all the houses.

By: Great point
by: ProudFeb 20, 2013 7:30:10 PM

Anyone who makes it into any decent sorority - period at UT is a step above any other Texas university// college sorority member Wherever!

By: Proud
by: sororitytyFeb 20, 2013 9:53:12 PM

Oh please. The reason a third of rushees don't get a bid is because most of them drop out when they're left with choices like KD, AXiD, DG, AChiO etc. once the best sororities have dropped them. Don't make it sound harder than it is. If girls would keep their minds open, a lot more would receive bids and the bottom houses would be much stronger.

By: sororityty
#67  by: Uhhhhh   

We all know AXiD, KD are the true top houses here! Screw PKT!!

By: Uhhhhh
by: Seriously?Feb 20, 2013 11:05:30 PM

I question whether a third of the rushees really drop out. It can't be that many. You do have a point, though. If everyone would just stick it out, the groups might be a little more even.

By: Seriously?
by: honestlyFeb 20, 2013 11:57:34 PM

I respect the girls who stick it out way more than the entitled prima donnas who drop when they don't get in a big 6 sorority or whatever. They don't look like they were too good to be in whatever middle or lower tier sorority to me, they look like they weren't good enough to be in any sorority, and it becomes obvious why the top ones cut them.

By: honestly
#68  by: Above   

Well said.

By: Above
#69  by: People talk   

And dropping to have a chance at "better" letters is a method that doesn't usually work. It just makes you look bad. And honestly, I wouldn't want you as a sister anyway.

By: People talk
#70  by: And TBH   

I love my letters and am so glad that the Lord closed doors so that other doors could be open to the sorority that was right for me. Sad, sad day when young ladies feel like they can't make their own choices in life for fear they will be rejected from their social network.

By: And TBH

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.