facebook

looking ahead

by: FSF3

I don't want to seem over zealous, but what happens after my four years are done? I come from a very middle class upbringing and college is a financial strain on my family so academic mediocrity is not an option for me. I waited a year to rush because it took me that long to convince my parents that I can play intercollegiate sports, keep my grades up AND join a fraternity. I spent some time in the career center last spring and I am convinced that place isn't going to help me professionally. I went to a few rush events last year with teammates / suite mates and had enlightened conversations with a few smart guys. So my question is which house is going to help me professionally? Who is going to help me land summer internships this year and next? Which house has a track record of graduating successful alums that I can reach out to for advice? The social benefits of joining a fraternity are undeniable, but I need more than that. My brothers were at top houses at universities with more established Greek systems and they keep telling me to join a house with like-minded guys who will push you socially, academically and professionally. So I'm going into this with my eyes wide open and looking for intelligent feedback, thanks.

Posted By: FSF3
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: hmm   

you don't join a fraternity for the social or professional benefits. While those may be factors, they should never be deciding factors. You join a fraternity for self-improvement. You join it for, as you said, the men that will push you to be better. All the chapters at our school have a national impact. Sigma Chi is one of the biggest nationally. SAE is the same size or bigger. It depends on what you want. You join the fraternity for the values they represent and the men you would want to call brothers. If you want professional benefits then rush a professional fraternity. I'm not too sure you understand what it means to be in a fraternity.

By: hmm
#2  by: professional   

If you're really looking to improve yourself/network you should just join a fraternity in PFC (Professional Fraternity Council). They are just as fun, have parties, go on retreats, drink, socialize, but have a huge network base, host seminars, and will push you to get your career where it needs to go.

If you're looking for
Business: Alpha Kappa Psi, Delta Sigma Pi
Engineering: Theta Tau
Medical: Phi Delta Epsilon
Law: Phi Alpha Delta

Seriously consider checking these guys out! They have cheaper dues too!

By: professional

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.