facebook

Sorority Housing

by: Me

Okay so what is y’all’s genuine thoughts on sorority’s not having houses at Auburn?

Posted By: Me
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: yeah   

I wish we had houses!!! it would be so cool!

By: yeah
#2  by: sorry but   

This has gotten asked every year or so. Here's the deal:

First, every sorority will have to be willing and able to build one or it won't happen for any of them. Otherwise it would be a death sentence for any sorority not building. So panhellenic can't let that happen. Also, from then on any new sorority coming on would have to also commit to building a house, or they would fail.

Second, there has to be the land available for each house and locations need to be fairly equitable. Where is all that land?

Then, and this is a big one, building a house costs millions, no exageration, so you have to have national and local alumnae support who would lead a huge fundraising campaign for the initial capital before you can get a loan for construction. National sororities don't pay for houses, the chapter is completely financially responsible.

After that, chapter dues would about double to cover the increased cost. You've got to have staff to run and maintain the house (house mother, kitchen staff, cleaning service, outside maintenance, etc.), and the chapter has to pay the mortgage, so dues would sky rocket.

And it would take a few years for all this to get rolling so you as a chapter member would have to start paying for it in your dues but you would never get to see it happen as an active.

So yeah, sorority houses would be so cool, very much agreed, but you don't just get a hand out from your nationals and plunk one down.

By: sorry but

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.