facebook

gamma phi beta

by: ?

Im confused on how exactly formal works for new chapters. i guess my main questions are who will we talk to during recruitment? and how will we get a feel for if we like the house/our future sisters?

Posted By: ?
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 2
#1  by: Gamma phi   

Sometimes they will hold a "Preference round". It's not quite like the preference round that you would go through in formal recruitment Where the chapter members try to get you to cry. They will do ceremonies and you will get to see other girls who are Thinking about joining the sorority also.

By: Gamma phi
#2  by: GPB   

I hope some of the girls that are doing COR consider Gamma Phi Beta. A lot of middle and upper tier chapters are trying only to focus on Freshmen girls this year and transfers/sophomores might not have an opportunity to get a bid from one of the standing houses. I hope also there are Juniors and Seniors that look at the new chapter.

By: GPB
#3  by: PHA Insight   

Gamma Phi will participate in the first recruitment round this winter, but afterwards, they are to be entirely silent until after Bid Day for the other chapters. After Bid Day, they'll start their recruitment, which will include meetings, philanthropy, and a preference ceremony.

I slightly disagree with GPB, I think that at least middle tier chapters (IE: below and possibly including KD) are open to sophomores as well as freshmen. Last year, so many sophomores rushed that we saw plenty of them in top houses. So, if you're older, don't let that discourage you!

I think GPhi is a great option for upperclassmen, legacies, affiliates, and other women interested in colonizing a chapter. You must register for formal recruitment to participate in their recruitment, but keep in mind that dropping from formal recruitment does not guarantee a Bid with Gamma Phi.

By: PHA Insight
#4  by: ???   

i know this is a long shot and kind of a stupid what if? but i'm asking you anyways...say you go through formal and you're lucky enough to receive a bid. what do you do if you are torn between the chapter that gave you a bid and saying no to that bid to try for gphi...i personally think that'd be pretty exciting to be a member of a chapter that is recolonizing, but is it better to just take the bid (especially being a sophomore)?

By: ???
by: Re ???Sep 16, 2013 7:55:59 AM

Scenarios:
If you receive a Bid during FR and you don't pledge, you can go through Gamma Phi's recruitment.
If you receive a Bid during FR and pledge, you can't rerush any NPC chapter for 1 year.
If you receive a Bid and are initiated, you never can join another NPC chapter.

By: Re ???
#5  by: ?   

the first one is what i'm talking about...if you were in that situation would you take a bid during fr or decide not to pledge and go through gphi's recruitment? also, do you have to sign up for formal to participate in gphi's recruitment?

By: ?
by: ??Sep 20, 2013 7:00:10 AM

We can't make that decision for you. It depends on your connection with the house that was KIND ENOUGH to give you a bid. Obvi they want you.

I have heard you need to go through FR to participate in Gamma Phi's initial recruitment. Since they might not take quota, they will prob be doing COR after that for girls that didn't go through Formal.

By: ??
by: truthfullySep 20, 2013 7:44:34 AM

If you get a bid from any of the top, or top of the middle tier sororities I wouldnt risk it on GPhi which is going to struggle for awhile and not give you the typical sorority experience.

If you end up in one of the lower houses youre going not going to have that cliche experience either so it would be up to you if you wanted to switch.

If youre interested in an alternative experience (starting a chapter, working on finding a house, building up a pr image) then you shouldnt waste any chapter's bid during formal and should just work towards GPhi

By: truthfully
by: PHASep 20, 2013 1:25:01 PM

You have to register for formal recruitment and at least attend the first Friday and Saturday (the meet the chapters house tour round). If you accept a Bid from an existing chapter, you cannot rush Gamma Phi until the following formal recruitment season. It works the same way as dropping our of any other chapter after receiving a Bid but before being initiated. You can join another chapter, but you must wait until the following year to do so.

I would suggest keeping your options open. If you like Gamma Phi and you're excited by the concept of creating a chapter, go for it! If the stability, house, reputation, and having older OSU students within your chapter to mentor you is appealing, go with one of the fourteen existing houses.

By: PHA
#6  by: Double Edge Sword   

Typically at Pref, you want to follow your heart. This is a situation where you need to also follow your head. If you privileged enough to receive a bid, it's a sure thing. Going through a colony recruitment is a crap shoot: you might not get a bid, you might get a bid and love it, you might get a bid and not like the work you need to put into it, etc.

If you are a Freshman, you have more options. You could give up a bid during FR and you might/might not decide if Gamma Phi works for you. As long as you don't sign the card, you could do COR in the fall to whichever chapters participated. But we all know what a Cluster COR was this year -- few option and lots of girls. Sophomores and Juniors will have fewer options because not many houses will take a Junior next fall and forget it if you are a senior.

By: Double Edge Sword
#7  by: Upperclassmen   

I know there has been a lot of talk about what houses will take Juniors and which will take Sophomores. I am not in what is considered a top tier house. We are somewhere in the middle depending on who cares.
We are not taking Juniors this year for reasons I can't disclose and are limiting our Sophomores to a specific number. I don't want upperclassmen PNMs to get false hopes and think they will get even mid tier houses. We had a really good recruitments last year and have in mind what we are after (not who they are and what they look like). Unless quota is raised so much that we have so many more spaces, UC choices may end up being very limited.

By: Upperclassmen
#8  by: ^   

back to truthfully^ "If you end up in one of the lower houses youre going not going to have that cliche experience either" ..What would make you say this? Obviously there are tiers but aren't all chapters at osu supposed to be good?

By: ^
#9  by: UH...   

I know multiple people that rushed as sophomore and rush and much more competitive houses as sophomores and get into top tier houses. So.... I'm not exactly sure what you're saying. I know people also in house at OSU- i.e Pi Phi and AGD that it's not really all that different/harder for a sophomore to go through recruitment as a freshman. There are always multiple soph's that rush every year

By: UH...
by: UhhhSep 20, 2013 6:44:01 PM

Each year its getting harder. If you have a huge Sophomore class, why would you take so many Sophomores when it will be tougher to replace them when they all go alum at once? I' m not saying you can't get a bid, some chapters will decide not to take so many Sophs and Jrs.

OSU Greek system is changing quite a bit. Girls used to be able to get bids with low GPAs. I don't think there is a house that will take someone under a 2.7 and most wont look at you if your GPA is under a 3.0 anymore regardless of what they publish.

Quota used to be 25 and chapters couldn't hit it. Guess what, most hit the 45 last year. Many chapters couldn't hit the 100 total for years. What was quota last year? 142 and at least half were over total.

A lot of chapter are over total right now and didn't need to do COR. They can be choosier and not care.

Those that still need numbers (you can figure that one out) will be happy to fill their slots with upperclassmen. I wouldn't be too sure of those who have the largest total.

By: Uhhh
#10  by: ...   

the point is, it's dumb to say that it's basicaly impossible for a sohomore (not junior or senior-way different standings) that they won't get bids in top houses. My previous university, IU, has one of the most competitive formal recruitment's in the country and even those top houses take multiple sophomores. Just saying. yeah it's a little harder but to the level people on this site are making it out to be. And i think hearing things from actual active members is more valuable than randoms on here.

By: ...

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.