facebook

Understanding the word "TOP"

by: UofA

Everyone needs to understand the timeline of each sorority's established date at UofA to understand this whole "top" thing, aka hardest to get into. "Top" in reality means, been at UofA longer and as a result has that much more alumni support and has built many more connections. Rush at UofA can be VERY HUMBLING especially for OOS girls, but understand the longer the sorority has been at UofA the more UofA legacies/connections exist to fill their spots. This is why sometimes you'll see some girls that don't fit a sorority's mold, well they are most likely a UofA legacy or STRONGLY connected to that particular sorority and just like that they're in. Then you are left feeling like, what is wrong with me? NOTHING! Nothing at all! You could be amazing but when there are not enough spots there's just not enough spots. Hope this makes sense. Keep an open mind and remember this experience DOES NOT DEFINE YOU!

Chi Omega - 1895
Zeta Tau Alpha - 1903
Pi Beta Phi - 1909
Tri Delta - 1913
Kappa Kappa Gamma - 1925
Alpha Delta Pi - 1957
Kappa Delta - 1989
Phi Mu - 1923 re-established in 2012
Delta Gamma - 1930 re-established in 2016
Alpha Chi Omega - 1961 re-established in 2012
Alpha Omicron Pi - 2006

Kappa Alpha Theta - 1966 left UofA 1989

Posted By: UofA
Post Reply Report
Page 2 of 7
#11  by: @UofA   

It’s a loyalty thing based on how long the sorority has been at UofA.

By: @UofA
by: AlumniAug 21, 2023 10:20:12 PM

You can call it loyalty but it’s just more alumni $$$$$

By: Alumni
#12  by: ?   

KD started the same year Theta left?

By: ?
#13  by: reform   

I really do believe it’s time to reform the rush process. I know a lot more sororities did well this year because numbers were a bit down so the older houses couldn’t take as many of “their” connected people. A lot of the bigger SEC schools are experiencing the same thing with the large amount of pnms each year.

By: reform
#14  by: Jill   

I would love it if we ditched the words top/bottom for old/new. It’s so disheartening trying to stand up for your house when it’s always being talked down on. A simple change like this would at the least sound better.

By: Jill
by: Yes!Aug 26, 2023 12:15:37 AM

Agreeeee!

By: Yes!
#15  by: jill   

Niño! More into on years of houses.

By: jill
#16  by: WPS   

This is so true! Kd, AOII, DG, and Phi Mu are so strong nationally. They are just newer at Ark.

By: WPS
#17  by: new    

Newer does not mean worse. It’s so annoying being called “bottom”. Some of us had a “top” house also for pref but just didn’t have enough connections.

By: new
by: And…Aug 29, 2023 3:36:44 PM

Some of us had a top house but didn’t want it because the newer houses traditionally have a better sisterhood and are more welcoming

By: And…
by: @newSep 6, 2023 6:34:14 AM

I would not take a one of the oldest 3 houses to pref unless I knew I was getting in because your basically only giving yourself the other 1 pref option and you may not necessarily want that other choice. It’s super rare to get in if you don’t know the right girls.

By: @new
#18  by: truth   

Bump!

By: truth
#19  by: factual   

Info found on each sororities national websites.

By: factual
#20  by: freshman    

Idky we can’t just say new & old :(

By: freshman

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.