facebook

cost of dues

by: Lee

How much are dues ? And do freshman live in house ?

Posted By: Lee
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: UD   

for fraternities or sororities?

By: UD
by: LeeAug 12, 2013 7:36:13 PM

Sororities

By: Lee
#2  by: sister   

There is a range usually given in recruitment book you get when you get to rush orientation in the winter. From what I know its usually in the range of 1000 to 1500 for the YEAR. please keep in mind, most chapters have a higher "new member dues" payment and this is because there are some fees you only have to pay for once like for for administrative stuff.
As for housing, no freshmen do not live in the houses of the chapters for 2 reasons. 1 being rush isnt til winter so you have already paid to live in a dorm for the whole year and the houses already have upper classmen living in them. The second being that most houses on campus do not have room for all their new members to live in. The only house big enough for that is alpha phi. Gamma phi and sigma kappa fit only 4, chi o, theta and asa and now adpi I suppose (they just got a house) fit 15 and are in a little sorority complex on laird campus, azd fits 14, and dg fits 11. Not all sororities have houses, although I think the only ones left without a hiuse now are AEPhi and phi sig.

By: sister
by: LeeAug 13, 2013 2:52:01 AM

How do they decide who gets to live in the houses ? Is it only for members that hold a chair ? And thank you for being so helpful (:

By: Lee
by: sisterAug 13, 2013 1:41:44 PM

No problem. I figure it helps to have a voice of reason in this mess of lies and pointless cattiness.
Again every chapter has a different system but from what I have gathered from friends in other chapters they are all pretty similar. Certain executive positions such as the president or a vp are required to live in the house together. It just makes it easier for these essential positions to conduct business with each other. After that there is sort of a hierarchy to who gets to live there next. This is where some chapters differ. Some may do girls with "lower" positions can have first dibs next or they might have it be by age or GPA. The only one that is super different is alpha phi. They REQUIRE that every menber in their chapter live in the house at some point. Most do it their sophomore year from what I have seen.
I know the houses are a nice perk but make sure you are looking at the chapters personalities during recruitment. Getting to live in a cute house isnt so much fun if you dont like the girls in it! Haha
There will be 2 nights of open houses scheduled in the fall for all Potential New members (PNMs, aka you) to get a chance to meet the chapters either in their own houses or in some other location on campus if they do not have a house. You will get a chance to see all of these great houses as well as get a preview of the wonderful sorority women of UD!

By: sister
by: CorrectionAug 18, 2013 1:34:24 PM

Sorry just a minor correction... 15 girls live in AXiD's house and 12 live in DG's. that's all :)

By: Correction
#3  by: H   

For most houses the executive board (or some positions) are required to live in house. The APhi house "requires" you to live in but from what I've seen, most people can get out of it as long as their house is full. If the house you get is big (ie on sorority row or alpha phi house) then I highly recommend it. It's a great experience.

By: H
#4  by: Dues   

New members dues are more expensive like it was said above, but i know mine included the cost of my pin! some chapters dont order your pin for you and you pay for it yourself later.

By: Dues
#5  by: hey   

Is there anything like financial aid for a sorority or like loans you can take? My parents said i could join one but I may need to pay for some of it myself.

By: hey
by: financesSep 23, 2013 5:18:39 PM

Once you join the sorority there are often payment plans in case you are unable to pay the whole semester's dues upfront, and there are also scholarships available through your national organization :)

By: finances
#6  by: openhouse   

This is the first post about sororities that isn't completely negative and doesn't make me feel embarassed to be a part of greek life... To go off of what the person above said about going to open house, I think it will be really great for those of you interested in living in a house and rushing to see what the houses look like inside and ask questions about dues and costs and such. As a freshman I went to every open house and I really enjoyed it! You get an idea of who you think you may want to join before recruitment, a little practice before recruitment of what it will be like (you can see what it will be like and if it's for you), and it's the only time you will really get to see every sorority house! I think going to these was helpful because it was before I knew any of the stereotypes so I made my own mind up about each of them as well as got to ask any questions, like the ones everyone is posting above, before paying the 65 dollars to rush in the spring

By: openhouse
#7  by: more info   

I completely agree that checking out the Open Houses is a great way to start figuring out your plans for during Rush. Each chapter has a local website as well that can give you an initial impression and more information too!

Just to add on finances... I personally paid a ONE time fee of (much) less that 1000 as my new member dues. From then on it has been a little over 400 a semester... and I have heard this is a normal fee but it can range up to 700 dollars. Many chapters have a scholarship fund that can be applied for, but these are questions you can ask each individual chapter during rush or at the Open Houses. Don't feel weird taking the initiative to ask questions, especially during Open House that is supposed to be a more laid back informal get to know you.

As most girls in Greek Life at UD will agree, the bottom line is to RUSH and the rest will work itself out.

By: more info

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.