facebook

Best frat HOUSES

by: Wondering

We have talked about some of the beautiful and historically significant sorority houses on campus (PiPhi, ADPi, etc.) But what are some of the most significant/attractive frat houses? There is a rich history on this campus related to fraternities, but you don't hear much about the houses themselves. Besides Beta, which is its own entity, which frat houses stand apart? And which are dumps?

Posted By: Wondering
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: In the past   

There is a fraternity house on Stewart Road that was an old military hospital but I don't know which one. It is on the National Register of Historic Places. Does anyone know?

By: In the past
by: ToborSep 23, 2020 6:58:38 PM

It is most often the SAE house when Sigma Alpha Epsilon is chartered and not suspended/expelled.

By: Tobor
by: ClariceSep 24, 2020 11:08:47 AM

That would be Alpha Sigma Phi and Welch Hall (1820 and a Civil War hospital). Last year (2019) Alpha Sigma Phi took a 5 year lease on the house from Sigma Alpha Epsilon.

By: Clarice
#2  by: Eman   

The DU house has a very impressive exterior and interior...ranks with Beta as one of the nicest fraternity houses at Mizzou.

By: Eman
by: SageSep 23, 2020 8:52:39 PM

Mansions! Beta and DU houses are certified mansions.

By: Sage
by: Ah, noSep 24, 2020 12:22:13 PM

Architecturally Beta is far superior to DU. DU is a hodgepodge of styles that looks hastily put together. Beta is the real deal. Plus the interior of DU is getting to be pretty dumpy while Beta insists that its house be showcase quality inside and out.

By: Ah, no
by: Ah no, Ah noSep 24, 2020 1:13:42 PM

No - DU is not a hodgepodge of styles hastily put together. Yes - Beta's architecture is classic and classy.
No - the interior of DU is not getting pretty dumpy.
Yes - DU, like Beta, insists on showcase quality inside and out. Are you, Ah no, possibly thinking of the just a year old Delt house (a feeble copy of Beta architecture) and it's interior which actually is getting pretty dumpy?

By: Ah no, Ah no
by: Ah, noSep 24, 2020 2:53:56 PM

Get back to me when you have actually spent time inside the DU house, and when you have an architecture background to back up your claims. The DU house is quintessentially of this millennium, which is to say a hot mess of architectural styles. The Beta house may be derivative, but it is consistently classic and its symmetry and proportion are heads and shoulders above DUs.

By: Ah, no
by: LocationSep 24, 2020 3:22:11 PM

I would say DU has the better location, but Beta has the better house by far. Like ChiO, the DU house may be big but it just isn't that attractive.

By: Location
by: HelloSep 25, 2020 8:27:06 AM

I don’t like the new way of building fraternity houses like ag sig and du, they look like a combo between a dorm and house while older ones just look like a mansion... it’s hard to explain.

By: Hello
#3  by: Atled   

1. DU & Beta (tie)
2. Phi Psi
3. Phi Delt
4. Sigma Nu
5. Delta Tau Delta

By: Atled
by: EroSep 23, 2020 8:34:03 PM

It's sad because the Delt house is just over a year old and looks kinda ok as far as architecture goes (it looks "Greek" and "Frat",but the guys just don't take care of it. It's kinda like they feel like they're privileged and don't have to make any effort to keep it nice.

By: Ero
by: M I ZSep 24, 2020 11:23:29 AM

1. DU & Beta (tie)
2. Phi Psi
3. Phi Delt
4. Lambda (for lease)
5. Sigma Nu
6. Alpha Gamma Sigma
7. Delta Tau Delta
8. Pi Kappa Phi (leased from Kappa Sig)
9. Delta Chi (leased from Sigma Chi)
10. Delta Sigma Phi

By: M I Z
by: Really?Sep 24, 2020 11:11:38 PM

I don't think I even know where Phi Psi is. Is it new?

By: Really?
by: OMGSep 25, 2020 10:23:39 AM

Really "Really"? You don't think you know where Phi Psi is? "Is it new?" you ask! Omg,is your head where the sun don't shine? Phi Psi was the very first fraternity at Mizzou! It was here way back in the day and the others have followed.Sometimes good, sometimes bad, sometimes mediocre, sometimes suspended and de-chartered but still the first one here.

By: OMG
#4  by: Connor   

Dumps:

AEPi, Pike, ATO, AKL, DKE, Phi Kap

By: Connor
by: EgaseSep 23, 2020 8:57:12 PM

Oh, be sure to add Beta Sigma Psi to a list of dumps.

By: Egase
by: ballsSep 30, 2020 9:04:55 PM

fiji too

By: balls
#5  by: Actually   

I think a lot of fraternity houses have great architecture and bones, but once inside the door they are just awful because no one takes care of them. The vast majority are dumps.

By: Actually
#6  by: Tigers   

The house Lambda used to live in is super nice. Only 2 years old and been lived in for one. As nice as any other house, just not as big. I believe Tke is moving in there

By: Tigers
#7  by: Fraternity   

Fraternities do not have to please anyone other than their fellow brothers and alumni. You may call the houses dumps but some may say they have character. Ask yourself, which house would you prefer: a house from the early 1900s that has been enjoyed by brothers for over a hundred years, or a house that was built 6 years ago that has switched out chapters multiple times? I ask because I know that many of the users of this site are female and frown upon many the fraternities of this campus. Its easy to write something off as a dump when you look at the surface but look a little closer and those houses have survived more history than any of our parents. The walls have seen more than any of the "golden boy" houses. There are houses which still have burrows from when they had to hide their alcohol in the walls due to prohibition. Personally, having lived in one of the more historical houses here, I take the history over the neatness any day because I know my century worth of brothers would have wanted us to enjoy what they helped build, and I wish for the same for the brothers to come.

By: Fraternity
by: My OpinionSep 24, 2020 6:01:07 PM

I think a house that is filthy and cluttered with peeling paint and garbage strewn about is a dump, no matter who has enjoyed it for how many years. How well it is kept up says nothing about its history but everything about the jerks who live there. It's not a matter of history over neatness. It's a matter of taking pride in where you live.

By: My Opinion
#8  by: Reality    

Phi Delt house is awesome

By: Reality
#9  by: Truman   

The Sigma Nu House is really nice.

By: Truman

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.