facebook

how does informal recruitment work?

by: Confused

i signed up for recruitment with my friend. she received an email from one sorority and I have gotten emails from two. how do sororities choose who they invite to cob events? i thought everyone who signed up for informal would go to the same number of events

Posted By: Confused
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: mizzz   

what houses were they

By: mizzz
#2  by: Don't do it   

It's a scam. You can sign up and never get invited anywhere. For most houses that do informal all the time it's just a way of recruiting friends who didn't get into a house during formal rush. You don't really want a house like that. You want a house that takes the best of who is available and who determines that by inviting everyone who is interested and making the decision on what they have to offer, not who they know. It also is a way of discriminating against some minorities since the houses aren't required to invite everyone. Save your time and energy instead for formal recruitment in August, when you will get to see every sorority and every sorority gets to see you.

By: Don't do it
#3  by: It'sTrue   

I'm a minority. My roommate is not. Last spring we both signed up for informal and she was asked to several houses. Me? Not one. That's OK. I went through formal this year and got into a great house that doesn't do informal.

By: It'sTrue
#4  by: Ahhh    

So this will be my first semester of college (realized another university I was set to go wasn’t for me at the very last minute and took my time to re-evaluate what I wanted so here I am!), so I’m a little behind on all the sorority stuff. I got an invite from 3 places to do their informal recruitment, are we allowed to attend more than one event? If so, do you have time to decide supposing you get an invitation to join from more than one? I’m clueless haha

By: Ahhh
by: !!Jan 16, 2020 8:43:51 PM

Yes you are! That’s why it’s informal recruitment, bc it means you get to look at the sororities you want within the recruitment period. As the week goes on you should be going to less as you narrow it down, but as long as none of the first events conflict with each other you’re encouraged to look at all houses! Especially considering almost all houses are doing informal, you really can’t go wrong with any of them :)

By: !!
by: AhhhJan 16, 2020 11:58:59 PM

Thank you! That will be helpful to have options. I don’t really know much about any of the sororities, so I’m just excited to meet all the girls from the events I’m invited to and hope things work out for the best with a home within Mizzou. Just hoping I’ll make friends quickly from it because people in the dorms are probably all situated in their friend groups by now. Also hoping to join some organizations too, provided I can balance it all with school work. Good luck to everyone doing informal recruitment, hope to see us all find our place and if it doesn’t work out now I think I’ll do formal recruitment come the fall because the Panhellenic website said that people usually have greater chances of getting membership.

By: Ahhh
by: NopeJan 17, 2020 10:39:22 PM

Unless you're desperate, wait until formal in August when you can see all the houses and make an informed decision. Frankly, I wouldn't consider the majority of houses that do informal year after year.

By: Nope
#5  by: Chicken nuggets   

Which sororities have you guys gotten emails from?

By: Chicken nuggets

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.