facebook

who will do something?

by: Wonder

We have a situation where many outstanding women don't get a bid during formal recruitment because they have only two houses to choose from at the end and they might not appear high enough on either of those houses' lists to get a bid. So they have nothing to show for their week and it is no fault of their own. Then we have COBing which is the most rigged and unfair thing about the entire Greek system. For those who are not familiar, you can sign up for informal rush or COBing and be an absolutely outstanding girl, and never get an invitation to attend an event. That's because those invitations only seem to go to girls who already know someone in the house. So out of state girls or girls from small towns and small high schools don't have anyone as an advocate for them and are screwedd. What we have is a very flawed system that has worsened when the rules changed so PNMs only go to two houses on the last day and have 1/3 fewer chances to get a big. So who is going to do something about this? The discontent with the present system is palpable. Who will step up? Tell your PanHell representative that change is necessary, and it starts now. My suggestions: 1. Go back to having three houses on the last day. 2. REQUIRE sororities to invite ALL those who sign up for COBing to events so everyone gets a fair chance, not just people with friends in the house and 3. Make quota reflect the needs of each house and let it be a different number depending on their needs. That way the houses who have a constant need for new members can have a bigger quota and can invite more people back and choose from a bigger pool. Other ideas?????????

Posted By: Wonder
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: uh   

There are definitely ways that recruitment can be improved, but having only 2 chapters on pref doesn’t really change odds of getting a bid. The way bids are given pretty much means that unless something weird happens- you will end up with a bid if you list both chapters when you preference. That’s why we have quota additions. The switch to 2 houses gives girls a more accurate idea of where they will end up

By: uh
by: WellSep 15, 2019 2:57:58 PM

That's not exactly true, is it? Let's say quota is 60 girls. So on the last day 60 girls are invited to each of two parties for a total of 120. If you are invited back to two popular houses that PNMs tend to pref first, but appear toward the end of their final lists (say 110 on a list of 120), you likely won't get a bid because the pledge class will be made up of women closer to the top of the list.

By: Well
by: UhSep 15, 2019 4:06:47 PM

If you pay attention not every chapter takes exactly quota. If the system runs through each bid list and hits quota and there is someone who has been left off of both lists, PHA can tack them on to a bid list as a quota addition.

By: Uh
by: HmmSep 15, 2019 4:57:07 PM

@Uh: but does that always happen though? Definitely know girls who attended all their preference day parties and kept both houses on their card only to get a heartbreaking call the morning of bid day. Quota additions seem like a good idea, but in reality the amount of girls it actually ends up helping doesn’t seem to be very much.

By: Hmm
#2  by: What's the solution?   

1. If you go to every party you're invited to, you WILL get a bid. Quota additions are made in every situation where a girl doesn't match using regular quota. No one who goes to every party is left out. Girls who say they signed their card with both houses and didn't get a bid either didn't like what they got and rejected the bid or didn't really put down every house. Sorry if they told you differently, but PHA rules require it and they don't randomly pick and choose on bid night who gets a bid and who doesn't. Going to three prefs doesn't improve your chances because your chances are already 100% that you'll get a bid, even with two prefs.
2. Houses that need more members already do have a larger pool to choose from during rush. They don't have to make as many cuts. Forcing unequal quotas is only going to make more people upset. Let's say there are 100 girls for 10 houses, so quota is 10. The only way for one house to get more girls is to say the top recruiting house can only take 8 so that another house can take 12. Now everyone will be mad that one house could only take 8, and the 9-10th girls that they would have taken have to go somewhere else.
3. If a house does COB and gives bids to their friends, guess what...if they invited 50 girls to their COB party, they are still going to give the bids to their friends!
You're trying to come up with a way that everyone gets their #1 choice but there's no way to do that. PNMs have no problem saying they tried to get rid of a house all week and they kept coming back, or "I didn't click" with them" or "I just couldn't see myself there," but when a house cuts the PNM they claim it's unfair.

By: What's the solution?
by: Stop lyingSep 16, 2019 5:52:40 PM

That is absolutely NOT TRUE. There are girls who went to every party who wound up without a bid. As for just choosing friends during COBing, you can't issue a bid to someone who you haven't invited. Inviting them at least guarantees a person will get another look and has a chance. Not inviting her guarantees she won't. Sorry, but if a house relies heavily on COBing and just chooses friends to join, that's a loser house. The best houses are the ones that take the most outstanding girls whether they know someone or not.

By: Stop lying
#3  by: Be Honest   

The system isn't working and there were MANY girls who didn't get a bid even though they went through every round and went to every party. As for PanHell doing quota additions, why not let the houses increase their quota accordingly instead of leaving it up to PanHell? For example, houses like ChiO, Theta and PiPhi always have their choice of PNMs and also have excellent retention, so quote works find for them. But there are houses like Alpha Phi who lose a lot of girls throughout the year, so they should be able to start with a higher number without having to go through COBing, which, as someone said, is extremely unfair to those who don't have friends already in the house. It shouldn't be one size fits all or, rather, one numb er fits all.

By: Be Honest
by: idkSep 17, 2019 10:54:44 AM

I’d love to see the numbers of how many girls who ended up without a bid and listed both chapters after pref day. I reallly don’t think it’s that many.

By: idk
by: PaigeSep 18, 2019 11:10:32 PM

I would like to see the 2 houses they had at pref and ended up without a bid.

By: Paige
by: Huh?Sep 19, 2019 10:34:20 AM

What possible difference does it make which houses they had? The fact is, they didn't get a bid. I personally know two who live on my dorm floor. We were talking about this during a meeting earlier this week and three member of my pledge class who were sitting in close proximity to me each knew of at least one girl who didn't get a bid. The fact is, the system is flawed. If houses immediately issue snap bids or segue right into COBing, why could quota not be different for each house to make sure more women get a bid?

By: Huh?
by: OkaySep 19, 2019 11:15:22 AM

What you are talking about IS quota additions! Having chapters get to chose their quotas could lead to more people not getting bids if their quota isn’t set high enough. On the other hand, it could lead to struggling chapters getting less new members if other chapters set their quotas high (more dues$$). PHA controls the numbers all recruitment and nows how each chapter is doing, it only makes sense for them to set quota and make quota additions. If we’re using anecdotal evidence for this, everyone I know that didn’t get a bid after going to pref single intention preferenced.

By: Okay

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.