facebook

so, what did you think?

by: Inquiring Minds

Was recruitment what you expected? Traumatizing? Exhausting? Heart-breaking? Thrilling? Exhilarating? Love to hear views about the reality v. the expectation.

Posted By: Inquiring Minds
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Shocking   

On that first day when all of the PNMs were getting ready to visit their first house I looked around and was stunned at how pretty everyone was. And then when I started talking to them I found each person I talked to was nicer, cooler, smarter, funnier than the last. That's when I realized it wasn't going to be easy. And it wasn't.

By: Shocking
#2  by: Lots of things   

Mainly exhausting and exhilarating. Plus my feet have never hurt more. And I think my face is broken from all of the smiling.

By: Lots of things
#3  by: IMHO   

Thank you "My thots" for your honest summation.

Particularly #3 - "I thought I knew what chapter my pi chi was in, but I was wrong haha. VERY WRONG. Lesson of the day: don’t judge a book by its cover"

By: IMHO
#4  by: TooSad   

I would say heartbreaking. I wound up in a house that's fine, but my roommate got nothing. Absolutely nothing. And she's prettier, smarter and excelled in more activities than I did in H.S. She has been very supportive, but I think both of our hearts break a little when I leave to do stuff with my pledge class and she's alone.

By: TooSad
by: My thotsAug 30, 2019 9:10:17 PM

I’m becoming really good friends with a girl from my dorm floor who was the only person that’s been friendly to me there and she went through recruitment too and got a heartbreaking call the morning of bid day and so I feel you. She’s so amazing across the board and I hate that she came out short. I try to include her in things I do with the girls I made friend with in my pledge class whenever I can, and i’m Inviting her to come with me to our first social. She still really wants the chance to be in a sorority and signed up for COB and i’ve been doing what I can to be supportive and encourage her! She got invited to one or two events, so i’m hoping the best and giving her good vibes. She said if it doesn’t work out she’s going to try next semester or even formal recruitment again sophomore year bc she said a girl in her pi chi group was in her same situation and did recruitment again this year and finally got a bid! My advice would just be to show all the love and support you can.

By: My thots
by: AgainAug 30, 2019 11:16:02 PM

There is something inherently wrong with a system in which girls who go through the entire week of rush wind up with NOTHING, while houses turn around the day after recruitment is over and try to sign girls to fill their house through COBing. The system is broken. Who is going to find a way to fix it? Obviously quote shouldn't be the same for every house because some houses need to take more girls. COBing is so sketch and unfair because everyone knows the houses just go for friends of people already in the house. And if you are from a small town and don't know anyone or if you are from out-of-state you are SCREWED.

By: Again
by: Zo Sep 12, 2019 1:24:03 AM

Even if you are from a town people know about, your chances aren’t strong either. All it takes is one person or group of people to have something against you... then you aren’t even considered for a house. Just like that. People are judgmental, and care too much about high school. Get over yourselves, this is it. This is college. This is the real world. People change and grow up, let them. This system is flawed, we need to fix it.

By: Zo
by: ExceptSep 12, 2019 12:18:03 PM

College isn't really the real world, though. And the reality is that unless you already know someone in a house you probably won't be asked to come to COB events or get a snap bit. It is inherently unfair to out-of-state girls and, let's be honest, they are some of the most outstanding girls who actually choose to be here because of a specific major rather than just coming because it's cheap.

By: Except
#5  by: Me   

Traumatizing? Exhausting? Heart-breaking? Thrilling? Exhilarating

All of those things and more. But in the end some of it is my fault. I had two good options in the end. I decided to suicide and ended up with nothing. Part of me wants to try again next year but seeing that I passed on some good houses this year I am not sure they would give me another chance. I understand if that is their position.

By: Me

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.