facebook

continuous bidding

by: Athena

Seems like lots of incredible girls are without a house after today. Any tips or advice on what to do next?

Posted By: Athena
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 2
#1  by: Tiger   

Throw yourself into Mizzou and your new life here, Greek life isn’t everything! Meet new people, get involved, and have fun! Keep an eye on the Greek life website for chapters that are doing COB and in the meantime it wouldn’t hurt to get to know some girls in Greek life, if COB is your goal.

By: Tiger
#2  by: yup   

Lots of disappointed girls. Wonder if they didn't get a house because they suicided or because they were just too picky earlier in the week?

By: yup
#3  by: Finn   

Chapters participating in Informal Recruitment (Continuous Open Bidding) Fall 2019:

Alpha Chi Omega, Alpha Delta Pi, Alpha Phi, Delta Gamma, Gamma Phi Beta, Phi Mu, Sigma Kappa, Sigma Sigma Sigma

By: Finn
by: wellAug 20, 2019 12:44:47 PM

There actually are more than this. There is something wrong with the process when houses come up short and have to COB while girls don't make it into a house.

By: well
by: Yes^Aug 20, 2019 11:37:28 PM

Everyone says the system works, but I don't think it did at all this year. I know many girls were heartbroken when they were cut, and then those same houses are doing informal because they didn't fill their pledge classes. With the exception of a few top houses, I think most of the middle tier are pretty interchangeable and make far too many cuts because they have an inflated opinion of themselves. The proof is that while they were being overly selective they wound up not giving some really outstanding girls another look. There has to be a better way because I think the majority of the women going through recruitment would be an asset to any house.

By: Yes^
by: tigerAug 21, 2019 11:48:01 AM

It is my understanding that PHA decides how many girls are cut from each chapter each round based on return rates.. is that not the case? I’d be curious to see how many girls drop out of recruitment and how many are cut because of grades (though this would be hard to tell).

By: tiger
by: @tigerAug 21, 2019 2:17:12 PM

Yes, the process is called RFM (Release Figures Management). To really oversimplify, the sororities wanted by the most people are the ones who have to cut the most. This way the PNMs can focus on the groups where they have the best chance of receiving a bid. It may seem cruel to be cut early and heavily, but better that than for the sorority to string tons of girls along that they have no intention of bidding, just so they can brag about their return rates and overflowing parties.

By: @tiger
by: CorrectAug 21, 2019 3:44:05 PM

That's how RFM works, but this time around many PNMs seemed to think they were better than the houses they were asked back to and so they dropped. My guess is that the RFM numbers need to be tweaked a bit because so many mid-tier and bottom-tier houses now have to go through COBing to fill their pledge classes. What's most troubling of all is that many, many legacies were cut who would have chosen their legacy house if they had the chance.

By: Correct
by: JaneAug 21, 2019 6:20:49 PM

So only top houses are allowed inflated egos & can cut whoever they chose. Mid tiers should be thrilled to take the pnm’s the top houses released ? Give me a break. This happens every year, girls go through thinking the top houses will all want them. They focus on the 2-3 houses & it’s obvious to the other houses that they are not that interested. Then for a variety of reasons they are released from the top houses. Every house has girls that really wanted to be somewhere else. Sometimes they adjust, sometimes they drop. Maybe the mid tiers wanted the girls that wanted their house all week. Imagine that, sounds like the kind of sisterhood every house is striving to achieve.

By: Jane
by: Huh?Aug 25, 2019 12:22:36 AM

I really don't understand your point^

By: Huh?
by: UmAug 25, 2019 10:17:20 AM

@Correct
“this time around many PNMs seemed to think they were better than the houses they were asked back to and so they dropped.”

I agree with you that it sounds like RFM should be adjusted but this is more so a PNM problem than it is a sorority/recruitment/PHA problem. PNMs thinking they are too good for a house has been an age-old problem. If more PNMs are thinking they are too good for the houses they have left, it sounds like they have inflated egos.

@Huh
I’m pretty sure that @Jane means that not all PNMs see the houses the same. Some do not follow the hive-mind, and while I agree that some people are looking for the best sisterhood and give lower tiers a chance, I also think that trends are there for a reason. And that’s why as @Jane said, EVERY house has girls who originally wanted to be in a different house.

But houses also notice when girls drop. That’s why when there is COB houses can be more likely to pass on PNMs that rejected them in the past. Why invite a girl to COB of she didn’t want us in the past?

By: Um
by: LOLAug 25, 2019 12:30:08 PM

Thanks @Jane for attempting to clarify your confounding original post. But if you are saying women going through rush shouldn't aim high and have a little pride, well, I disagree with you. There are some people who settle, and some who don't. Going in to rush had my eye on 6 specific houses, all of which have strict grade cuts and are known for being selective. I was dropped by two of them, but on the last two days I wound up with quality houses where I felt extremely comfortable. On my last day I had two of the original six to choose from and couldn't be happier with the results. By the time you go off to college you should know a little bit about yourself and what's acceptable. I think recruitment was just the first of many decisions I will make a long the way that will ultimately help me become the best version of myself. It's a process, but it's not an RFM problem when women make a decision about what's acceptable to them and what isn't. It's extremely personal, and I always knew that not being part of sorority life was an option I could live with.

By: LOL
by: HahahahaAug 25, 2019 1:53:15 PM

"middle tier inflated ego" cough cough looking at you ADPi and AXO

By: Hahahaha
by: Huh?Aug 27, 2019 11:13:33 AM

What are you talking about? Those two mid-tier houses have strong identities and are far more selective than most other mid-tier houses. But unlike some houses, I saw no evidence during rush of inflated egos. these girls were very approachable and enthusiastic. In fact, I had some of the best conversations at both of them. You might not like a house, but let's not make unfair generalizations about them. It just exposes your ignorance and, let's remember, not every house is perfect for every PNM. People look for different things in a house and that's their right. But to point the finger at these two fine houses does a disservice.

By: Huh?
by: Former pi chiAug 28, 2019 11:05:40 AM

I’d say pnms dropping because they think they are too good for a chapter is totally a thing. I was a pi chi, and talked multiple girls out of dropping because they only had chapters “they just can’t see themselves in” (often times the chapters perceived as “lower tier” on here) left. The ones that decided to stick out, ended up really happy with their chapters in the end. These girls are mostly coming straight from high school, where popularity and social hierarchy seem like a big deal. Its no wonder they still think this way during recruitment. That’s why what is said on this website, what actives say to their younger friends, and what pnms tell each other matters.

By: Former pi chi
by: Well...Aug 28, 2019 2:24:23 PM

I think that if they just can't see themselves in a house, they should drop out of rush. But I don't think that means they think they are too good for a house. I felt the same way about choosing a college. I also had Wisconsin, Ohio State, Vanderbilt and Georgia Tech on my short list and was accepted everywhere. I had visited all of the campuses and we went back to visit again. What it came down to was whether I could "see myself there." Luckily my parents understood and now I am thrilled to be here because it's the right fit for me. And I certainly don't feel as if I was better than those other schools. Let's not be too critical of girls who dropped. Maybe they just know themselves really well and made the choice that was right for them. Who are we to judge?

By: Well...
by: former pi chiAug 28, 2019 6:29:35 PM

@Well that’s totally valid, and I agree a lot of girls feel this way, but I do think some don’t. I think you can tell who is being genuine about seeing themselves somewhere and who isn’t when talking to them. Girls don’t wanna bad mouth a chapter to your face and that’s a thing to say to get around doing that. But also, pnms can only know so much about a chapter after meeting a couple people and so I think rumors and rent talk really impacts people’s perspective. If you go into a chapter thinking “my older friends say this chapter is weird and I’m not weird this isn’t for me” it’s going to impact your experience.

By: former pi chi
by: @WELLSep 1, 2019 12:46:36 AM

If girls don't see themselves in certain houses (and they're all lower ones) you can be pretty sure that they are stuck on themselves, not just "aiming high."

In fact, they should be aiming to find girls that they like, not girls that represent their aspirations.

By: @WELL
by: Or...Sep 1, 2019 11:00:20 AM

Maybe they can't see themselves in a house because they really don't relate to weird girls.

By: Or...
#4  by: Screwed up   

I was cut from kappa and that is what I wanted so I was so stupid and just dropped altogether. Have a 4.0 gpa and was very involved in high school athletics and clubs. Also was a homecoming princess. I am trying to decide if sorority life is even for me now.

By: Screwed up
by: AwwAug 21, 2019 10:39:04 AM

Don’t get me wrong kappa is nice, but that isn’t the only great place you could end up. So many girls would fit in and have a good experience at many houses. You went through recruitment because you knew you would like sorority life. Don’t let one heartbreak get you. A good amount of chapters are doing COB, so shoot your shot and see what happens? Also there is spring COB as well, and which I know kappa participated in this past spring (but to be fair every chapter did this past spring bc 2018 rush was lower participation...). I’m sure you’re awesome and many places would have loved to take you. Allow yourself to have a chance. And if sorority life ends up. It being for you i’m Sure you’ll still thrive

By: Aww
by: Really?Aug 21, 2019 11:05:49 AM

There are so many houses that are similar to Kappa that you probably could have been happy at any one of the other mid-tier houses. Dropping was not a very smart thing to do. Sorority life may or may not be for you, but the only way you will know is to give every house a chance, either through COBing or recruitment next year. Everyone makes mistakes. But you can learn from yours. (BTW: lots of girls go through rush with GPAs higher than 4.0 and are AP Scholars. They also have had leadership positions and have gone to state athletically or have won Midwest music competitions. Your mistake may have been that you thought you were better than everyone else and that you were a shoo-in. Now you know better.)

By: Really?
by: Correct^Aug 21, 2019 12:56:03 PM

I think a lot of women are stunned at just how competitive rush is. They think they will sail through and don't give all the houses a chance. Then, when they are disappointed at the reality of it all, they drop. that's OK. There is a big difference between someone who wants to be a part of sorority life and someone who just wants to wear prestigious letters.

By: Correct^
#5  by: No competition   

The problem with RFM is that it's not a mutual selection process. It lacks competition between the sororities for recruiting great girls. Great girls are overlooked or cut because of reasons out of their control. The sororities have to make such huge cuts they have to find other reasons to cut, such as, only take a certain number of girls from high schools, cities, in state, out of state, etc. If the sororities were competing for girls more girls would be retained each round and the cutting of sororities would be on the PNMs, not the houses. If lower sororities want to gain more girls, they should be better recruiters. RFM is to provide the lower sororities with an opportunity to improve their members, but over the years the process hasn't helped them and they remain the lower sororities.

By: No competition
by: .Aug 22, 2019 11:16:19 AM

Without RFM every house could keep as many girls as they want and string along hundreds that have no chance of being selected. Meanwhile, PNMs drop other houses that would have been a great fit. When they finally get cut at the last minute they are left with nothing. That's the whole point of RFM; PNMs take a second look at perfectly great houses that weren't originally on their radar. Just because a house is great at recruiting doesn't mean it's the best fit for everyone. Many PNMs end up happier in the end because their options were narrowed down early enough for them to get to know other houses and realize that the house where they ended up kept asking them back not because they were leftovers, but because they were actually wanted!

By: .
by: Ah, noSep 25, 2019 10:05:27 AM

First of all, to the girl who said every house could string along hundreds of girls who have no chance of being selected, do you even go here? Do you even understand recruitment? Many houses make huge cuts after the first round because their nationals insist on making strict grade cuts, so they aren't stringing everyone along. Also, every round has fewer houses, so if you are just stringing people along how in the world would you fit them all in your house on the days when there are just two parties? The point is the RFM system is broken and has to be fixed. Times have changed and so have demographics. There is no reason that someone who wants to be part of the system and played by the rules winds up empty on bid day. And, yes, that truly happened.

By: Ah, no
#6  by: Another reason PNMs drop   

The cost of belonging to a sorority may be a cost-prohibitive proposition, which some PNMs don't understand until they visit the houses and find out how much their house fees and dues actually cost.

By: Another reason PNMs drop
by: ????Aug 22, 2019 12:51:38 PM

PahHell makes it very clear that there is a price difference between Greek life and not. Just as with so many things in life, if you can't afford it, you shouldn't do it. This is a weak excuse.

By: ????
by: CocoAug 22, 2019 3:53:21 PM

Your are right!! The Panhellenic office on each campus need to update their website yearly to reflect actual cost of joining a sorority. Too many times these costs are not discussed until after bid day; which is unfair a not only to the girl, but also to the sorority as well. Transparency should be the priority!

By: Coco
by: Another reason PNMs dropAug 23, 2019 11:23:51 AM

Coco - there are HUGE disparities among houses and what their dues/house fees actually are. Those with new houses definitely have higher fees than other houses.

By: Another reason PNMs drop
#7  by: Too many cut at once   

First round I had eleven but then the next round I had only two. I feel that was a drastic cut and narrowed down my choices. How can that many cut you all at once. I didnt even get a change to see if the others were a fit for me because of the huge cut.

By: Too many cut at once
by: YupAug 23, 2019 11:14:13 AM

^That's just wrong. Just as we encourage PNMs to give every house a chance, we need to make sure we give all PNMs a chance, and that means seeing them more than once. I understand that the top houses have to make the greatest number of cuts because numerically everyone wants to go back there. But to cut it down to 2 after the first round? The system was NOT FAIR to this girl. It has to be revised.

By: Yup
by: ?Aug 23, 2019 1:11:12 PM

Honestly what do you suggest? tbh I feel bad if anyone is cut so don't get me wrong. But one chapter doesn't know how another votes so they have no idea if a girl they cut is left with 7, 2 or 0 houses. If someone is down to 1 or 2 early on what are you saying should be done to fix it? Tell every chapter to invite 95% back to make sure everyone still has a full list? If someone is left with the same 2 for pref that they would have had on day 3, what did you gain. I just don't know what you mean by fixing it.

By: ?
#8  by: Facts   

ALL 15 chapters took Quota during recruitment. Quota is determined by the number of potential members who turn in a bid after preference divided by 15. The chapters who are participating in COB now are those who are under Campus Total. They are allowed to continue to recruit until chapter size = Total.

By: Facts
#9  by: No competition   

In reference to the RFM giving girls a second look, the process using RFM so many girls are cut each round they don't get a second look. As you say, "sororities would hold on to girls too long." Sororities would cut, just not that many and PNMs would get a second look and really compare the sororities. That's not to say a girl wouldn't choose a lower-tier sorority, but it would be their choice. If the lower-tier sorority doesn't make quota they will do COB like they do now with RFM. RFM can push girls to the lower-tier sororities, but the system can't make them take those sororities. A LOT of girls still quit, before taking a house they didn't feel good about. Sororities should be competing for PNMs by using mutual selection.

By: No competition
by: NahAug 23, 2019 6:08:39 PM

It’s really impossible to ensure the majority of the girls are going to have the opportunity to actually choose if they want a top house or a lower house. Top houses can only have so many members, and they are only going to take the girls they like. So if a top house doesn’t choose you then that’s the end of that. Giving girls another “shot” at houses that they realistically don’t have a chance of getting into isn’t helping them or the houses. It’s for sure not going to help the lower houses. If everyone was allowed to just pick what houses they wanted to go to everyday then cob would end up being another full on recruitment with all the houses that were overlooked by the pnms because they thought they were too good for them during formal. The current process works in a way so that PNMS are aware of all of their realistic options. It gives PNMs a chance to get to know the houses they actually have shot at instead having a ton of girls waste their time and energy focusing on pursing a top house that doesn’t even want them. A ton of girls would be cut if they had the choice to keep pursing a house that wasn’t really interested them and a ton of sororities wouldn’t make quota. It’s not good for the PNMs or the Greek system and just drags on an already exhausting process.

By: Nah
#10  by: Thinking again   

After seeing what’s been said about RFM, and taking some time to research it, i’ve come to realize that’s honestly the most fair option for both PNM’s and chapters.. I know it doesn’t seem that way at first, and it’s truly unfortunate a lot of awesome girls get cut after open house round, but this seems to be the most fair way to operate recruitment without having a wholistic negative effect on both chapters and PNMs. I think it’s important to be realistic with the fact that certain chapters generally put on a greater showing, along with having notoriety that happens during open house round. Consequently a large percentage of PNMs want to return to these chapters. While more PNMs having a chance to return to said chapters the next round would be nice there are a few things to consider. If everyone wants to go back to the same places next round, there are lots of chapters who would be overlooked and cut despite the fact that many PNMs would obviously fit in with and have a great experience. Allowing certain chapters to have a larger recruiting pools than others during formal recruitment flat out isn’t fair. The next point would be that every chapter has a criteria for what they consider for membership, and it would be unrealistic to assume that all the girls who want to return to a certain after open house fits that criteria. Allowing girls that wouldn’t be realistically considered to continue to attend a chapter’s parties would only set girls up for heartbreak after investing so much hope and emotion into the week and that isn’t fair to the PNMs. It would also be unfair to chapters who would have to have more parties during the day due to the inequity to have to go longer in the day recruitment, and I think we can all agree while everyone finds the importance in recruitment it’s super exhausting, and adding more hours to it on any chapter would be all too much. And yes, while even though some girls who would be fair candidates for membership might get cut, the chapters just have to be super strict for who they really want to consider initially so PNMs can be evenly disbursed amongst all the chapters. RFM isn’t perfect at all, but without it recruitment honestly could be a lot more rough. At the end of the day, with the current process PNMs are at least getting to visit chapters that are genuinely interested in seeing what they have to offer and how they could fit into their sisterhood and they have a realistic chance of getting to join depending on how the week goes. If I could come up with a better system I would. However, with the logistics of providing fairness and a mutual selection process, this just might be the best we can do. And that’s a partial reason for COB in the fall — to compensate for the flaws of recruitment and of course to give girls who never signed up for recruitment a chance of getting involved in sorority life. But all of these concerns are completely valid, and I feel for everyone who’s been affected :(

By: Thinking again
by: ObvsAug 24, 2019 11:10:30 AM

Obviously some sort of RFM needs to exist, but just as with any computer-generated process, it can be tweaked. Plus there is NO REASON quota has to be the same for every house. Why not use it as a baseline and then allow houses that need more women to fill have a higher quota? That way you don't go through the ridiculous dance of cutting girls only to ask them back again. That serves no one. Girls feel rejected, sororities feel uncertain and the whole system looks unnecessarily harsh. Clearly changes need to be made.

By: Obvs

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.