facebook

sorority stereotypes

by: question

Can someone honestly tell me what every sororities stereotype is without ranking them

Posted By: question
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Or...   

--Pi Phi- Top house, pretty, smart, well-rounded, confident. They reject 90% or more of the girls going through recruitment but somehow find a way to get the right mix of girls who are extraordinary. Plus the physical house itself is classically drop-dead gorgeous. Lots of rich alums supporting this house.
--Chi Omega- overachievers with a chip on their shoulders. Not as pretty or well-rounded as PiPhi, not as smart as Theta. They reject 80% of the women going through recruitment.
--Theta- Very selective, strong national, great sisterhood. They are a "type," but it works for them and they get exactly who they want during rush. If there's any criticism its that they have a few too many legacies.
--Adpi- Smart, well-rounded, great sisterhood. While most women might not have ADPi on their radar when starting recruitment, ADPi wins them over and pretty much gets who they want. Lovely remodeled house.
--AXO- Strongly mid-tier. Smart and singular girls who are extremely confident in who they are.
--GPhi- Popular with girls who like to party, but that's about it. If they ever instituted grade cuts they might have been a great house. Instead they're on probation.
--Tri Delt - A once-proud house that has struggled in recent years. Lots of pretty girls, but they have lost their identity and their national is very upset about it.
-- KKG - They pride themselves on being stereotypical sorority girls, which is sort of sad. Other than that, they don't have much of an identity. Their pledge classes are made up of women who didn't make it into PiPhi, ChiO and Theta.
-- Zta- Pretty girls, great new house (structure). At this point they are what Alpha Phi wishes they were.
-- Aphi- They lead the league in dropouts and flunkouts. They constantly have to do informal and COB because they lose so many girls because of bad grades. Some are pretty, but they are VERY rough around the edges.
-- Kappa Delta- Smart and funny, a great sisterhood.
-- Delta Gamma- They should have everything going for them with their new house, but there is just something off about their sisterhood. They have a way to go before they reach upper middle tier.
Sigma, Phi Mu, Sig Kap - Not anyone's first choice. But remember, the worst houses on this campus are better than some of the best houses at other schools.

By: Or...
by: AgreedJun 23, 2019 12:35:55 PM

Very accurate

By: Agreed
by: YesJun 24, 2019 11:04:21 PM

I think "Or" nailed it.

By: Yes
by: MaddieJun 28, 2019 1:19:46 PM

Chi O is the top house for grades. Look at the stats, not the snark.

By: Maddie
by: SmhJun 29, 2019 7:16:24 AM

Why quantify your answer when they're clearly wrong? No sorority rejects 90% of pnms, take any class/total pnms... Math doesn't check out smh.

By: Smh
by: Not a math whizJul 1, 2019 10:12:16 AM

Each year about half of PNMs drop out of rush or leave because they don't have any options. Of those who remain, there are 15 houses with, say, each having a pledge class of 70. That's roughly 1000 girls who pledge out of 2000 who start out going through recruitment. (No one knows what the numbers will be this year, but they have historically been as high as 2000.) Considering houses like PiPhi and ChiO do a lot of rejecting along the way in order to get exactly who they want (because just about EVERYONE wants to go back to those houses), that means that if they took a pledge class of 70, they have rejected far more than 90% of the girls going through recruitment. I might not be an actuary, but even I know that if you start with 2000 and wind up with 70 who declared your house their first choice, that's a final selection of far less than 10%.

By: Not a math whiz
by: KnowJul 15, 2019 2:15:39 PM

For "Not a math wiz" ... Stats on the Greek Life subsite state that percent of placement in 2018 for sororities for formal recruitment was about 82% - not the 50% that you claim.

By: Know
by: LmfaoJul 21, 2019 6:27:07 AM

@notamathwhiz such a troll, you took THAT MUCH TIME to spew out more b/s stats, don't use numbers unless they're legit or that immediately discredits anything you have to say.

By: Lmfao
by: BJan 30, 2021 11:33:17 AM

Yup this is the one

By: B
by: About that 82%Feb 2, 2021 11:32:03 AM

That 82% figure on the Greek Life website is the number of women who wind up in a house after the last round, not the total who show up the first day. It's a nice number, but anyone who has gone through formal knows that a lot more than 18% of the total who participate drop/get cut/suicide. In fact, I would say that fewer than 50% wind up in a house because there are so, so many girls who go through aiming for just one house and when they get dropped they quit. I think it's too bad because they don't give every house a chance. On the other hand, the most selective houses like ChiO, Theta and PiPhi clearly eliminate at least 90% of the girls who go through recruitment, because so few girls would ever eliminate those prestige houses. And, no, I am not a member of one of them, so save your rage.

By: About that 82%
by: OmgMay 31, 2021 3:28:11 AM

PERFECT DESCRIPTIONS! Investigative reporter?

By: Omg
by: Research is UsMay 31, 2021 7:08:11 PM

^ She's probably not an investigative reporter yet, but the J School at Mizzou is the best and really teaches people how to analyze facts and draw conclusions. You can just tell the people on this site who are studying to be journalists.

By: Research is Us
by: OkJul 26, 2021 2:01:03 AM

Before reading the comments, I predict that there will be some beyotching by krappa krappa gramma, snif. KKG has delusions of grandeur that they are the BEST everywhere, but everyone is aware of the truth. Horrible hazers, terrible sisterhood, sloppy party girls, self-absorbed, new money, wanna-bes.Develop a better reputation.

By: Ok
#2  by: But...   

Remember PNMs, these are "stereotypes" perpetuated by houses who believe that ranking other houses somehow makes them feel better about their own houses/selves - do yourself a favor and DO NOT BELIEVE everything is as it is described/presented on GreekRank!!

By: But...
by: StoopidJun 27, 2019 2:19:02 PM

That would be true if all of the houses but one were ranked negatively. Instead many good things were said about most of the houses. And it is completely within the power of each house to do something about the negative stereotypes. If I were a PNM, I would ask myself why some of the houses are so content with their negative image and why aren't they doing anything about it. Plus I actually found most of the comments to be right on target.

By: Stoopid
by: ???Jun 27, 2019 2:47:58 PM

Who is ranking? Most were just commenting. Wow, someone is in a house that has a very negative stereotype and isn't too bright about letting us know. Thanks, Alpha Phi, for proving us right.

By: ???
by: But...Jun 28, 2019 4:27:53 PM

You make the assumption that houses who have negative image (via Greek Rank) are content and aren't doing anything about it. WRONG!!

ALL of the houses that are negatively profiled on this site ARE working hard to improve themselves and their reputations.

And as a reminder, in these days where Colleges and Universities across the USA are shutting down Greek Systems/closing fraternity/sorority houses - all sororities, regardless of what anyone here thinks of themselves or the other houses, SHOULD be constantly looking to improve themselves and make Mizzou's PHA stronger by supporting all of the Greek sororities.

By: But...
by: Ha!Jun 28, 2019 5:44:23 PM

I'll believe it when I see EVERY house institute grade cuts. As for supporting even the houses that struggle most, why? If they are barely hanging on and don't make our greek system better, they probably should go away.

By: Ha!
by: SmhJun 29, 2019 7:19:33 AM

That poster said positive things about academic houses and hated on all the pretty ones, that's a biased ranking. OP clearly has a problem with the hot, party girl houses... I wonder why! :)

by: SmhJun 29, 2019 7:21:18 AM

Also wtf... the person you're hating on was supporting the descriptions that were praising the academic houses and you automatically shut this girl down and call her an Alpha Phi lmao? Now tell me who is "stoopid."

by: Really?Jun 29, 2019 3:24:04 PM

How ignorant do you have to be to refuse to acknowledge that you can be smart AND pretty? The academic houses are full of some of the most beautiful girls on this campus. Have you not seen them on Bid Day? Where have you been hiding? The top houses have beautiful and smart women who excel in all sorts of areas. It's 2019. What about that do you NOT understand?

By: Really?
by: Time to ChillJun 29, 2019 5:21:15 PM

Of course women can be beautiful and smart. That's why it's so ridiculous that Alpha Phi and Gamma Phi don't have grade cuts. Then they could be known for being more than just dumb pretty girls. But don't worry too much about it because it probably was just some saggy old alum who wasn't aware that in 2019 women can make academic honors while being drop dead gorgeous.

By: Time to Chill
by: the truthJul 7, 2019 10:06:37 PM

You can make your mark on any house. If you're studious and academic, the top grades house isn't your only option. If you choose a house that has lower grades, you can be the catalyst to getting their grades up. Offer to tutor girls in your pc. Run for scholarship chair. There are lots of ways to help. If you're social and end up only with less social houses, you can be a change there too. Same with houses that are not as involved. There is a lot of fun in making your house better than when you joined.

By: the truth
by: WowJul 21, 2019 6:31:18 AM

@Really oh ok so you can be smart and pretty but no way and hell can you be smart and in a party house? Get a life! The top academic houses are pulling 3.5s, that isn't even "smart" it's getting by.

By: Wow
by: ^Jul 23, 2019 12:48:16 PM

Also as getting by... A 3.2 and a 3.5 are both going to graduate with a GPA that isn't high enough to list on your resume so honestly your 3.5 is no different than a 3.2...

By: ^
by: Please, noJul 23, 2019 2:17:25 PM

It's not about listing your gpa on your resume. It's about being accepted in honoraries and about getting the best recommendations from the best professors. It's also about surrounding yourself with women who have high standards. Now maybe you are content being the person who holds your sorority sister's hair while she pukes her guts out after partying all night or helping her get the morning after pill because she can't remember what she did the night before, but that's just not my idea of fun. And, no, I don't recall knowing any smart woman who chose a house without grade cuts. It's just not what we do.

By: Please, no
by: HilariousJul 24, 2019 4:20:48 PM

I'm sorry but it's also not the girls with 3.5s who are getting the best recommendations from the best professors, that's reserved for girls like myself at the top of their class (3.7+) who can also proudly list their GPA on a resume. Intelligence surely doesn't dictate a girl's house selection, if I want to hang out with the most intelligent girls I know I'll hang out with my classmates (and some sisters), if I wanted to hang out with your average student (3.5-3.6) I'll hang out with my sister's, or my hs friends, ie basically anyone lol 🤦🏼‍♀️

By: Hilarious
by: Ah, noAug 14, 2020 10:58:15 AM

^ If you were half as smart as you think you are, you would know that 3.5-3.6 is not the average gpa at Mizzou. There are many sources where you can look this up. Try it sometime.

By: Ah, no
by: LolMay 31, 2021 3:35:52 AM

Kkg salty posting, soooo unhappy with their placement. Stereotypes have validity and this one is 100% accurate. Ask a kkg if they want to project a better stereotype than they actually have. ‘’Oh, we’re the best on all the important Greek campuses. We are all hot, rich, wealthy, classy, and the most selective sorority in the country’’. Guess again! I dropped you, and it’s time to get over your insecurities and boorish behavior.

By: Lol
by: HaJun 1, 2021 2:26:11 PM

Lol! Did someone get hurt by KKG? Hahahaha. Grow up. Everyone gets cut by some houses. Sorry you weren’t a kappa. Me either- so put on you big girl panties and be happy regardless.

By: Ha
#3  by: Makes me angry   

The thread on this post is a common one - that there are smart houses and there are pretty houses and that they are mutually exclusive. When is this ancient stereotype going to die? I'm in a house with strict grade cuts and I think my sisters are beautiful. The difference is that we have high standards. I hope no one dares to think of us as one dimensional.

By: Makes me angry
by: CorrectJul 7, 2019 6:05:51 PM

I would say the smartest houses when it comes to GPA also have most of the prettiest girls.

By: Correct
by: I'm not angryAug 12, 2020 2:12:53 PM

Here's your answer, "Makes Me Angry." That stereotype will die when the so-called "pretty" houses have a little pride and institute grade cuts. Why should they? Not for the sake of a few numbers after a decimal point, but rather because grade cuts result in a better sisterhood. From recruitment to the semester after moving into the house, there are sororities on this campus who lose almost half of their members while there are others who may not lose any girls. The former don't have grade cuts; the latter place an emphasis on being well-rounded and that includes grades. When you lose dozens of girls because they fail academically, and constantly have to COB just to keep your numbers up, that's a problem. That's also not a sisterhood I would value. I joined a sorority to make lasting friends. You can't do that when they are living back at home and working at the Dairy Queen.

By: I'm not angry
#4  by: PROUD PHA GAL   

RUSH AND FIND OUT INSTEAD OF RELYING ON STEREOTYPES

By: PROUD PHA GAL
by: Keep an open mindAug 13, 2019 3:03:57 PM

Totally agree. Grades matter a lot in some majors- and not so much in others. Know what your goals are and reach for them. No one will get in your way whether you are in a smart or fun house. Your success depends only on you. Grad school in your plans? Buckle down and get the grades necessary. Period.

By: Keep an open mind
by: More than thatAug 14, 2019 2:54:59 PM

What about the knowledge? If you have excellent grades, you have earned them. It's more than just about getting into grad school. Some of us will do great things with a bachelor's degree because that's what our career requires. But if you have the knowledge you can do well in your field, be promoted, earn perofessional certifications and really get ahead. I doubt I would be interested in a master's right after graduation anyway since there are ways to get your employer to pay for grad school.

By: More than that
#5  by: Sad   

With GPA ranges of 3.2-3.5, there are. no ‘dumb’ houses. Go in with an open mind and ignore everything you read here.

By: Sad
by: ExceptAug 14, 2019 10:56:43 PM

The lower the GPA the worse the retention. If a house has retention issues (you can tell because they're the ones who are always doing informal/COBing just to keep their numbers up), the less likely it is that you will make friends for life. That's because the girls in that house aren't serious about school OR their sorority. They are here today and gone tomorrow. Word to the wise: STAY AWAY FROM THE HOUSES WITH THE LOWEST GPA.

By: Except
#6  by: Bump    

Bump!

By: Bump
#7  by: Facts    

These descriptions are spot on and portray which houses are the most sought after accurately

By: Facts
#8  by: Me    

Any major updates or still relevant going into 2021??

By: Me
by: Not muchJan 31, 2021 4:59:29 PM

Very little has changed. The houses that recruit on looks alone still like to say insulting things about smart women. And the houses with the smartest women have their pick of members and often choose women who are beautiful. So that means the smartest houses often are the prettiest, but the houses known just for looks will keep perpetuating the stereotype that you can's be pretty AND smart.

By: Not much

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.