facebook

Old Row

by: PNM

Who are the true Old Row sororities? How is that decided? I am new to this whole thing.

Posted By: PNM
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Hi   

I didn’t understand either at first. They are the houses that are the oldest on the row

By: Hi
by: Google that’s Mar 22, 2023 5:28:16 PM

Wrong! There are some NR houses/ chapters that are older than some of the OR ones.

By: Google that’s
#2  by: Old row   

I think it was originally KKG, XO, AXO, DDD, KD and AGD. Then there was some scandal and the outcome was that Phi Mu was added and there have been 7 ever since.

By: Old row
by: Huh?Mar 22, 2023 5:19:09 PM

Thank you for actually answering! I appreciate it!

By: Huh?
by: Not accurate Mar 22, 2023 5:30:15 PM

ADP and ZTA have been on campus before some of the chapters mentioned above

By: Not accurate
by: .Mar 23, 2023 4:29:47 PM

ADPi was only on campus a year before they closed and reopened in the 1930s when the other sororities were already established so they lost ground during that time. ZTA has been here continuously though.

By: .
#3  by: Not the oldest    

Old row are not actually oldest. I’ve heard different stories about how it started, you can search on it and find links to old posts on this site where people talk about it. It seems like those were just the top houses and hardest to get into for many years and Greek traditions stick around forever at this school.

By: Not the oldest
#4  by: There none   

There is no such thing as an old row sorority. There are old row Fraternities and the sororities they primarily socialize with. Mainly the Old Row Fraternities use to throw a big party and invited certain sororities to attend and they got designated as old row Sororities. In reality sororities where designated by circles, with First Circle being the most prestigious. Those being DDD, AGD and KD. In reality, Old row just means dominated by in state members from certain zip codes.

By: There none
#5  by: So   

So Old Row at Bama is different than Old Row at another SEC school?

By: So
by: History abbreviatedMar 23, 2023 8:20:55 AM

Old Row only exists at Bama. Other SEC schools are just copying for clout. Short version: There used to be one street where all the fraternities at the time were located (the older ones on campus). Then another street was opened up for more fraternities (the ones who had since come on and were newer). So they were just called the old row and the new row for identification. Then it gradually turned into people using the terms Old Row and New Row for prestige, like Old Money/New Money. Then there was a party that some 'old row' fraternities would throw and invite some of the sororities but not all of them and people started referring to the sororities as old row just for that reason. So the term Old Row means something for fraternities because of an actual street, the row. Anything else is just copycat.

By: History abbreviated
by: UmmmMar 23, 2023 10:31:32 AM

@history abbreviated
I don’t think other schools use the term for clout 🤣. No one cares but Bama students.
And I mean other schools do have “sorority row” or whatever. I don’t think that term is just for Bama. But you fluff your feathers and be proud of your Bama clout.

By: Ummm
by: @UmmmMar 23, 2023 3:00:40 PM

Other SEC schools will tell you the same thing. Plenty of schools have a 'row' of Greek houses but the term 'Old Row' originated at Bama and is used for clout.

By: @Ummm

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.