facebook

what is so cool about mountain brook?

by: OOS Fratter

At a national convention of a fraternity I won't name. Alabama brother who thought himself second coming of Christ, mentioned being from Mountain Brook several times and seemed to imply that had some kind of pull/prestige. I had never heard of MB, bot being from Alabama. Is it that special? What gives? Looks like just a pretty suburb of Bham from what I can read onln.

Posted By: OOS Fratter
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 2
#1  by: Ask them   

I guess you have to ask someone from Mountain Brook since they are the only ones who think that it is something great. Seems kind of sad and insecure to feel the most important thing about you is your zip code and you have to tell everybody all the time.

By: Ask them
by: RightFeb 22, 2019 11:52:41 AM

Ha Ha! So right! So tired of them!

By: Right
#2  by: yeah   

Just a regular ass suburb but a lot of our instate greek life kids haven't travelled outside of the state so they don't realize that every state in America has nice ass suburbs and even nicer ones than Birmingham.

By: yeah
#3  by: Mtn Brook   

Absolutely nothing special about that place. People that live there call it the tiny kingdom. Lol! I’m not even from AL, but the people I know from Vestavia have more money and family prestige than the Mtn Brook douches. And none of those can even touch the level of money and prestige from Buckhead in Atlanta, Brentwood in Nashville or West Lake or Highland Park in Dallas.

By: Mtn Brook
by: hJan 7, 2018 4:55:03 PM

Preach!!!

By: h
by: HoustonFeb 21, 2019 7:50:06 PM

Shout out to River Oaks in Houston Texas

By: Houston
by: EvenFeb 22, 2019 11:48:29 AM

North Shelby County is the highest income per capita area of the state! Not Mountain Brook!

By: Even
#4  by: Bham   

Hoover and Vestavia are better than Mtn Brook.

By: Bham
by: mehJan 10, 2018 1:53:40 PM

i agree with vestavia but hoover is definitely a notch below in terms of wealth. however, i think PNMs from hoover are the nicest of the three, with mt brook second and vestavia third. just in my personal experience as someone from a different bham suburb in an old row sorority.

By: meh
by: betterJan 10, 2018 4:34:19 PM

Honestly the Greystone part of Hoover is way better than Mountain Brook. North Shelby County is the highest income part of the state, way more than Mountain Brook. Spain Park, Oak Mountain, Briarwood, Highland Lakes... way better places to live and go to school.

By: better
#5  by: MB   

It's the social center of the Bama Greek Universe.

Just sayin'. Not meant to shade, or criticize, or compliment, or whatever

It just is "so".

By: MB
#6  by: Typical brookie   

Lol we how’ve higher income then buck head put mountain brook in Atlanta and it would be the richest neighborhood

By: Typical brookie
by: ^ lol yourselfFeb 21, 2019 4:25:15 PM

The median home value in Buckhead is more than twice that of Mountain Brook - 990K compared to 450K. All the new apartments in Buckhead bringing in the renters have lowered the median income level, but these are the people we need to be our personal trainers and take care of the landscaping.

By: ^ lol yourself
by: This isn’t “rich”Feb 21, 2019 10:04:45 PM

Basic home within 1 hour of Silicon Valley- $700k. Decent home in decent neighborhood within 30, $1.5 mil. Good luck and stay in MB.

By: This isn’t “rich”
#7  by: Meh ...   

Parts of MB are gorgeous, mainly Old Mountain Brook by Birmingham Country Club, but Forest Park and Redmont Park, both on top of the mountain in Birmingham city limits, are just as beautiful.

TBH most of MB is underwhelming and ridiculously overpriced. A crackerbox starter home in Crestline Park (Birmingham) averages about $150,000 to $180,000, but just over the line in Crestline Heights (MB), a comparable house - we're talking TINY - runs $300,000+.

The public schools are great, but so are Vestavia's and Hoover's.

Thankfully, the "old money/new money" distinction gets less and less important each year in Bama Greek life.

By: Meh ...
#8  by: Hey mom    

No one but a mom says “cracker box” for a house.

Brentwood is “new” Nashville. Belle Meade is where the old money is. Not that it matters, bc there are a lot of jerks in every wealthy area.

Every big city has its old money neighborhood. Here’s how you tell if someone is full of crap from Mtn Brook: Ask where they are from. The authentic ones ( who live in mountain brook, have money and are grounded) will say Birmingham. The ones who want to show off (pretentious) will say MB.

By: Hey mom
by: .Feb 21, 2019 8:05:32 PM

^^this. The same goes for Atlanta. You would never introduce yourself as being from buckhead if you have any sense.

By: .
by: WellFeb 22, 2019 10:52:43 AM

That would be dumb in any case because Buckhead is a neighborhood in Atlanta, not a separate city.

By: Well
by: EhFeb 22, 2019 12:21:10 PM

That’s true but it carries the same connotation of needing people to know you’re from a wealthy area.

By: Eh
by: ...Mar 1, 2019 6:49:42 PM

Same for me. I always have identified with Birmingham more often than my hometown in casual conversation. I only say, "I'm from Vestavia," when I'm asked what part of the area.

By: ...
#9  by: Sororitygirl   

Mountain Brook in the East or West coast would be considered “Poor neighborhoods” on the wrong side of town. In wealthy areas outside Alabama you could not even buy a one bedroom dump in the wrong part of town for the price of the most expensive home in Mountain Brook.

By: Sororitygirl
by: Somewhat agreeFeb 22, 2019 7:40:23 AM

West and East coast real esororitye are the holy grail of inflated values. On the flip side Mountain Brook isnt all that.

By: Somewhat agree
by: SororitygirlFeb 22, 2019 10:32:20 AM

In the state of California alone there are over 9,000 homes lisited for 100 million or more.... That’s ONE HUNDRED MILLION! Or more! There is not one home in MB that one of those California owners would consider buying for their EMPLOYEES because it would be below their standards.

By: Sororitygirl
#10  by: Wrong   

Celebrities are all moving from California to Nashville (belle meade, leiper’s fork, Franklin Road.)

This is a silly conversation based on ignorance. This isn’t a competition.

By: Wrong
by: yesFeb 23, 2019 12:52:58 PM

unfortunately, yes they are :/

By: yes

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.