facebook

Ricky Da Goat's Guide to Greek Life

by: rickydagoat

Greetings to everyone who is considering going Greek. My name is Ricky da Goat. Some of you may have seen me whippin up the madness all over these forms. I've heard my comments have made a stir. That's rad and all, but let's not forget what brings us here.

First a little about me, I am a goat. I'm not sure how I manage to type with hooves, it must be my purpose to bring you these important messages. It's not easy eating grass day in and day out, but you do what you gotta do baby. I want to speak to all of you both incoming ladies and gentlemen about one of the most important decisions you will make coming to UWG. If you have come here you're either someone already in Greek life who cares too much about what goats with their goat hands type out like myself, or your actually considering rushing in these crazy unusual times.

A little actual info about me: I am part of a fraternity long gone. Our glory days went up in flames. I speak from mad experience and crazy good opticals my man. I've worked in a ton of bars and hot spots in Carrollton (a couple of which are no longer so you'll have to ask your older brothers/sisters about 302, Max & Henry's, etc.) I've lived in the Oaks, our Fraternity House, the Ocho, Haven West, Mandaville, I've even lived on the square. (I know none of this means anything to you yet but trust me the people reading this from Ctown know what's up from these medals of dishonor). I graduated from UWG Nursing (and trust me for all you girls thinking about joining a sorority that has given me all kinds of other crazy insight.)

I've literally seen it all man. I've seen how different bars have become the prime social scene, shifts in who works at which bar. I've been quietly observing for years.

Let's get into it. Regardless of why you ended up at UWG you're here now. Welcome to the land of D2-school Greek Life. This is not your stereotypical animal house nonsense. This is not a TV portrayal. We join Greek life here because there's quite literally little purpose and meaning to be found outside of it.

Make no mistake, despite the jokes floating around, UWG is a great institution. I'm set for life with what I've learned in the nursing program. There's a lot of other great colleges and plenty of opportunity to shine. It's a lot better you joined something that's developing so you have a chance to make an impact and get your name out there. Play your cards right and most of the town will know who you are and have your back. Play them wrong, and it's going to be hard to get that taint off your name.

Already, by the time you are a Sophomore the fraternity and sorority you join matter less and more opportunities come your way. It isn't long before you have friends everywhere and the only exception to that rule is during rush (even then I still kicked it with buddies from many different letters).

This is how your going to kick your freshmen year/ first debut into Greek Life. Although it is not an end all decision, it does give you a certain foothold on your college identity (and depending on which Greek organization you join, it can give you a serious boost in social momentum or you can spend some time regretting it based on your ability to get over yourself and commit to something). (Part 2 to follow this)

Posted By: rickydagoat
Post Reply Report

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.