facebook

does dirty rush still happen?

by: pnm

i’ve just heard stories about sororities dirty rushing in the past. i’m a freshman but i’m looking to rush next semester.

Posted By: pnm
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Pan advice   

Sadly yes. Not all chapters rush based on the same reasons but those reasons will differ from chapter to chapter. However, don’t let that discourage you at all!! A lot of times dirty rushing will only effect the first round where it’s harder for them to know what you’re like as a person, but honestly after that point dirty rushing doesn’t really play a factor nearly as much as values, personality, and basically if they can tell that you’d fit in well to the chapter or not are the basis for cuts. It always seems shocking to girls during rush when certain houses cut them, but honestly when you look back after rush you’ll realize that each house has a distinct personality and they know who they are as a chapter and are making the right decision for you as a pnm to get you into the house where you’ll feel the most at home. Take it from me, stressing about these “what if’s” just makes rush so much harder. My best advice it to truly trust the process and it’ll all work out!

By: Pan advice
by: Be Prepared...Apr 11, 2019 1:49:42 PM

Chi O's have the worst reputation for dirty rushing.

By: Be Prepared...
by: wrong Apr 11, 2019 2:02:03 PM

Axo is way worse about dirty rushing than Chi o

By: wrong
by: also pnmApr 11, 2019 5:57:08 PM

what does that mean? like what do they do to make it a dirty rush??

By: also pnm
by: Active memberApr 12, 2019 11:37:17 AM

So dirty rushing can be a lot of different things, but it basically is when chapters rush either based on morally wrong reasons, or break the Panhellenic recruitment rules. Chapter members are not allowed to reach out to pnms that they don’t know after may, but there are some chapters who have been known to contact pnm’s they don’t know during the summer and invite them to coffee or brunches to basically get to know them and get the pnm interested in them. This can also include oral bidding by implying that they will make sure that they give you a bid before bid day. This is a BIG no no so if any chapter tries to do this to you, report it because they will be fined and CPC will investigate. Other forms of dirty rushing are things like zip coding, where they single out girls from nicer areas like the woodlands for example and recruit based on where you live. I’ve heard of girls also asking what your parents do for a living and keeping tabs on social media about whether or not you look like you travel because they might try to determine if you seem rich or not. There is also dirty rushing based on other standards, like major or high school grades (some chapters are said to take more girls with easier majors to keep their GPA’s higher) or what kinds of things you did in high school like sports or dance team. At A&M, CPC tries to enforce value-based recruitment where chapters make no prior judgements based on these standards, but from what I have heard, these things still happen. However, please know that while I know for a fact that my own house does not rush based on any of these standards, my knowledge of these kinds of dirty rushing is based off of what I have heard on multiple accounts from other people but as I am not in other chapters I cannot absolutely guarantee that they are 100% true and what chapters do or do not rush like this. All in all, I hope as PNM’s you keep in mind that while reading this may really scare you and make you feel the need to appear “more desirable” or change up your social media like I thought I needed to do, it’s not worth it in the end to end up in a house who only wants the version of you that you had to fake to seem desirable to them. Chapters can tell the difference between you being fake vs being genuine, but it is also so much more important to find the house where you can be yourself so that you can love your sisterhood. Try and focus more on values based recruitment as CPC tries to enforce to end up in a house where you can be yourself and not have to try to be someone else.

By: Active member
#2  by: ^ Not quite right   

Plain and simple, dirty rushing is when sororities break the NPC/Panhellenic rules that are in place for a fair recruitment to gain advantage over other houses for new members. Dirty rushing refers to how sororities interact with pnm's, not how sororities select their new members. Dirty rushing is violating the no contact period with pnm's, hot boxing (getting a pnm alone to pressure her or get information,) asking a pnm what houses she is attending or what she thinks about other sororities, disparaging other sororities, or bid promising ("can't wait to see you tomorrow" and stuff like that.) It is NOT dirty rushing to favor pnm's based on looks, social media, grades, zip codes, majors, extracurriculars, hometowns, high schools, perceived wealth or social status, or any other of the dozens of ways pnm's qualifications are considered during the membership selection process in each individual house. NPC/Panhellenic absolutely does not dictate how individual sororities select their members. This process is private and only members know how their chapter does it.

By: ^ Not quite right

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.