facebook

the Demographic Stat

by: Again

May not realize this in interactions within Greek life because its so White but Penn is majority non-White. It is 42% white, 58% non-White. If this does not UPSET you then you either a) dont understand statistical bias or b) are deficient in compassion

Posted By: Again
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Ok but   

a disproportionately large percentage of the Greek population is white = bias towards white people during rush
Yes but does bias mean racism ? Or can there be other reasons behind the bias like maybe it’s bias towards school athletes which happens to be a largely white population?

By: Ok but
by: Ok butJun 3, 2020 4:04:34 PM

Or bias towards people who party hard which might be a largely white population too?

By: Ok but
by: YesJun 3, 2020 4:55:36 PM

Yes. Its a cultural thing. You can’t expect a frat to force kids to rush so they can meet your quotas. That said, there are probably one or two frats at penn that could do better in terms of diversity (not going to name names)

By: Yes
by: I agree butJun 3, 2020 6:40:19 PM

@yes wouldnt a quota would be for groups that are in the minority? but if the minority (Whites at Penn) is the majority in a certain activity like Greek life, then as an analogy it is like when a minority white Afrikaners were the majority in government in South Africa until apartheid ended. I think there are some historical forces at play in keeping whites the majority in greek life but hard to pin down to what... wouldnt a reasonable situation be 50% white, which I cant defend is the case rn?

By: I agree but
by: I agree butJun 3, 2020 6:43:17 PM

either way @Yes, culture does play a big role... so no denying that... it would be nice to see some leaders in the on-campus scene to talk bout this, especially from male organizations where diversity is really poor

by: Hold upJun 14, 2020 9:54:49 AM

Totally support pointing out racial biases but penn happens to be 44% white which surprisingly would mean theres proportionally less white people in greek like than non white though by slim margins.

By: Hold up
#2  by: True   

Also minorities appear to make up the majority of the members of business and engineering fraternities. Maybe there’s just cultural preferences towards more productive fraternities.

By: True
by: I agree butJun 3, 2020 6:50:14 PM

there is. good point

#3  by: Anon   

Do you have any statistics on Greek life being so white? Many penn Greek orgs are a lot more diverse than you may think, even if a few are lagging behind.

By: Anon
by: ...Jun 3, 2020 6:29:16 PM

Greek orgs don’t record or release any such stats. But I have ever seen a majority non-white PC lol or even a 40%-50% non-white PC. It is very well known that white people tend to overestimate diversity.... a statistically unbiased PC (at Penn) of 20 should have only 10 white people give or take...

By: ...
by: I agree butJun 3, 2020 6:48:26 PM

agreed but "lagging" is definitely a euphemism, more like shamelessly resisting change

by: yoJun 4, 2020 10:21:15 AM

@... obviously anecdotal but i will say my pc of like 17 is half POC. there are some out there that do a decent job, remember that there’s like 20-30 frats even tho only a handful really get talked about/part of the scene

no excuse tho and absolutely agree as a campus we have to aim to do better.

By: yo
#4  by: solutions   

I'm in a mid/ upper mid fraternity here. I can tell you we don't have quotas, but we also don't cut kids purely based on race. We get a majority of our members from kids who come around. In our case, how do we do better at attracting POC to join? I feel like we've done a decent job (especially compared to other organizations in my opinion), but how do we do better? How can we better stimulate the interest of POC joining our fraternity? Because we are limited to people who are interested in us, and in my experience, that group is predominantly white? I'm not trying to be defensive or accusatory, I'm genuinely asking for help.

By: solutions
by: wordJun 3, 2020 7:38:14 PM

as a "PoC" (really hate that term), I got interested in the frats where the upperclassmen interacted with me and invited me for more events, plain and simple... so maybe making a pre-planned group effort to give out phone numbers to more "PoC" during freshman fall more often and inviting more of them should do it. itll have a chain effect. dont have to decrease your standards for personality to do that

By: word
by: $$$Jun 3, 2020 7:59:06 PM

yoo I also think we poc in frats are part of the problem... i've never been asked about racial issues by my brothers and i've never made any initiative to be more inclusive to poc during rush because i dnt wanna be "that" guy who talks about social justice. But now I realize taking initiative is not some social justice issue, its just common sense

By: $$$
by: yoJun 4, 2020 10:24:17 AM

i think also an issue is that people just inherently have biases toward people of their own race bc they generally have shared experiences. so majority white frats are probably just gonna keep taking majority white pc’s cause at the end of the day, the brothers and rushes feel most comfortable with each other.

so part of the work is definitely just having these open conversations about what the problems are, and where improvements can be made, and really verbalizing that there are issues regarding race in greek life on campus. because if these conversations dont happen, said frats can continue to turn a blind eye to the problem and just blame it on the rush process.

By: yo
by: my insightJun 4, 2020 11:34:43 AM

being a man of color in what is often ranked a T1 frat, ive never felt any discrimination among my brothers and i love my em. that being said i am very aware of my race everyday, which i know is something my brothers are never of. sometimes i think they pretend i am white or forget i am not, and that "pretend game" is where all the problems of racial exclusion begins

By: my insight
by: bsJun 4, 2020 2:28:31 PM

@dubs there is such thing as New England wasp culture and thats what A's represents. I get it. And honestly A's is fine in that regard because they have opened up in the last 5+ years from what Ive heard. But what about say all the other T1 and T2 (And even T3 frats) that literally dont have any excuse. Like there are some frats simply known for being white like it is an achievement. In reality, they are trying to emulate A's but fall far behind because they know they are just taking public school kids who are white from all over the country not just the Brunswick school lol

By: bs
#5  by: bs   

imo apart from A's (New England), Castle, Owls and Zete (internationals), no other frat has tried to develop their own brand like no ones trying to be the all-American frat. everyone in the T1/T2 is simply emulating A's or Castle which is fundamentally my argument for the existence of folks who think white = elite which is such an old and outdated idea

by: root of the issueJun 4, 2020 3:06:48 PM

GOT EM

By: root of the issue
by: bsJun 4, 2020 5:19:25 PM

if each frat has different vibes, why do we rank them? wouldn't it be like stupidly comparing apples to oranges? and saying this frat is preppy or that frat is sceney is fine but then accepting that that is why they are overwhelmingly white makes no sense unless you believe people of color all went to urban public school or can't party hard. in fact a vast number of poc came from elite prep schools but w/e i dont think this is going to lead anywhere online. has to be made an open dialogue on campus

#6  by: other point   

Lets also not forget that there are 13 intercultural greek organizations that are not part of the IFC that are actively recruiting specific minority groups each year. A number of these groups have been on campus for 100 years or more with strong alumni networks and national brands.

By: other point
#7  by: this has to hit home   

crux of issue is most poc have had to deal with a lot of childhood racial exclusion and on-screen hollywood stereotyping which all deal a blow to confidence. frats (And some sororities) HAVE to make an effort to show they are tolerant and culturally aware or else poc are going to avoid greek life like they would a home with the Rebel Flag on it regardless of what kind of good meaning ppl live inside

By: this has to hit home
by: Actually Jun 15, 2020 11:29:41 PM

Yes so true thank u

By: Actually

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.