facebook

Cold Dorms Question and Fraternity House Life

by: Parent

I would like to know about what it is like to live in a fraternity with cold airs or cold dorms? What are the pros and cons of that arrangement? I do understand the benefits of having dedicated study spaces as well as quiet spaces for sleeping. I noticed that a lot of the fraternities and sororities at ISU have cold dorms for all of their rooms or part of their rooms. I am a parent of a student and I am trying to encourage him to join a fraternity because I had a positive experience as a sorority member in college and living in a sorority house. I went to school in the the Northeast and I had only seen one cold dorm at my school (I think that sorority chapter has since been renovated and no longer has cold dorms). My brother's fraterity in the Northeast did not have cold dorms either. It seems that cold dorms are a more popular thing at large midwestern and southern schools. I was told that cold dorms exist because of tax benefits relating to Greek houses having more rooms dedicated to study space than dedicated to sleeping. Anyway, I would like a little more insight into cold dorm living. Also, in the case of fraternities that have the option of more traditional rooms vs. cold dorms, is it normally upperclassmen or officers who wind up in those rooms vs. cold airs? I would not discourage my son from joining a house based on the types of living/sleeping accomodations it has. It would be helpful to get some student insight into cold airs/cold dorms at ISU. Also, is it common for fraternities to have live-in requirements at ISU? I think my experience was enhanced greatly by living in-house, but my chapter did not have live-in requirements because it was not necessary since there were no shortage of girls who wanted to live in house. Thanks.

Posted By: Parent
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Hi   

Hey, I’m in a sorority here :)

Most of the frats that I can think of have colds, different styles tho. My boyfriends has about 7 people in the colds then 3 in their like study room. I think most places have much larger cold airs than that tho. They are def nice if you want somewhere that’s nice and dark and quiet all the time (def a plus at a wet house)

My sorority doesn’t have colds and I like that all my things are in one place, we have doubles and triples for rooms and then we do have one big study room too but our other common areas are nice for studying too.
I will say tho most of my school time is spent at the lib not at the house which I def prefer
The one big con to colds might be snoring, and yeah some houses have 1 or 2 year live in requirements you just gotta ask when you’re rushing
At chapters that have a mix of colds and regular rooms usually the regular rooms go to the exec first then if they have left overs it’s by merit or rank
We have around 30 frats on campus so if he wants to join Greek life there is something there for him :)

By: Hi
#2  by: TT   

ATO doesn’t have cold airs, everyone gets there own bed and shared a room with one other person. Suite style.

By: TT
by: Victim #5 Jan 14, 2022 4:08:38 PM

So they can easily pick up a girl and SA them in the next room

By: Victim #5
#3  by: Greek style   

Lambda Chi has all suite type accommodations and they banned hazing 50 years ago

By: Greek style
by: sororityviewJan 28, 2022 2:46:12 PM

Lambda Chi keeps getting better and better our sorority thinks they are one of the top fraternities now.

By: sororityview
#4  by: Dept of Residency   

Just make sure that if you plan on skipping the dorms and moving into a fraternity as a freshman that you break your DOR housing contract before May. If you don't you are stuck with footing more than half of your room and dining fees even if you never moved in.

By: Dept of Residency

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.