facebook

matching

by: PNM

How does pref and matching work? If I go to two houses am I guaranteed a bid?

Posted By: PNM
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Hey!!   

Matching is very complicated, and there is a lot that goes into it. Simply put, you will rank your houses at selection, and the houses will also rank you in a list with other pnm’s. I believe if you make it through to pref round you are guaranteed a bid as long as you rank both houses you visited. Do not suicide!!!

By: Hey!!
#2  by: Not Complicated   

Here's how it works: You rank your houses one and two (or just the one if that's all you have) and the houses rank all the pnm's they preffed. The algorithm starts at the top of a sorority's bid list and tries to match with the pnm's who ranked them first. If you are high enough on your number one's bid list to match with them before they reach quota, then you will get that bid. If that house reaches quota before they match with you, the algorithm then tries to match you with your number two house. If you are high enough on their bid list to match with them before they reach quota then you will get your number two. If both houses reach quota before they match with you, then you will still get a bid to either house as a quota addition IF you have put both houses on your card. If you have one house at pref and you put it on your card then you will get that bid. When placing you as a quota addition, the algorithm considers your rank of the houses, your place on the houses' bid lists, and the sizes of the chapters. No one knows which girls are quota additions; they are bids just like everyone else's. Now, if you have two houses at pref and only put one on your card, you are NOT guaranteed a bid - if you don't match with that one house (suiciding) then you go without a bid at all.

By: Not Complicated
by: TYAug 22, 2019 9:21:19 AM

Thank you for a nice concise answer. A true rarity at GR.

By: TY
by: Not ComplicatedAug 22, 2019 7:47:39 PM

You're very welcome. I will also add that at no point during recruitment do the houses know how you rank them. They make their invitation and bid lists independent of your preferences. Since they never see your ranks or choices, this will not influence theirs one bit. If you LOVE a house, you need to make it clear to them in person.

By: Not Complicated

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.