facebook

greeks no longer recognized at msu

by: What Happen

I was looking at the updated Greek Life wbsite and I am suprised that the following Greeks are no longer recognized by the University and their specific Greek Council......

Alpha Kappa Psi
Alpha Sigma Phi
Grove Phi Grove
Phi Beta Sigma
Sigma Phi Pho
Tau Kappa Epsilon- gone since 2011
Tau Delta Phi- Did they close?

This is not good for our Greek Community. I guess thisis a way to clean house and get some new Greek Orgs. to MSU.

Posted By: What Happen
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 2
#1  by: MSU Greek   

The Greeks mentioned above all violated risk management policiies and university code of conduct. Tau Delta Phi from what I am told closed due to low membership. It's a shame to lose that many Greeks at once, but again they did it to themselves and MSU is cracking down extremely hard regarding risk managment (hazing, roudiest, under aging drinking, etc.). MSU want the Greeks to be more leaders and involve themselves more with philanthropic events.

By: MSU Greek
#2  by: IFC   

The following fraternities violated their sanctions that were imposed on them last year and therefore lost all recognition from the University and from the various councils.........
Alpha Kappa Psi
Alpha Sigma Phi
Grove Phi Grove
Phi Beta Sigma
Sigma Phi Pho
Tau Kappa Epsilon

As for Tau Delta Phi, they did close due to low membership. It is not good when we lost a lot of Greeks, especially to irresponsibility and stupidity. However, these Greeks did bring shame to our Greek Community and the only way to correct the situation is to get rid of the problem. Hopefully in the near future these Greek can return to MSU.

By: IFC
#3  by: Sigma Girl   

Our Greek Community has gone through a tough time in the last 2-3 years with Greeks getting suspended and put on probabtion, due to violation of University ploicies and Risk Management. Withdrawning recognition from the 5 fraternities, I guess this is a way to eliminate problem Greeks, so that new Greek Orgs. can start on campus. I would love to see new fraternities such as Kappa Sigma, Zeta Beta Tau, Delta Tau Delta, start at MSU, which will bring fresh new ideas and leadership to the IFC. I know Delta Zeta and Alpha Sigma Alpha have expressed interested to the NPC in expanding to MSU. Iam sure our Greek Community will bounce back and become better going forward.

By: Sigma Girl
by: Future FounderOct 16, 2014 11:27:17 PM

Now that we lost several Greeks this school year, it's time to bring some new fraternities to campus. I would like to see the following well known national fraternities come to MSU.....

Kappa Sigma
Delta Tau Delta
Zeta Beta Tau
Sigma Phi Epsilon

These four fraternities will do well on campus and will bring with them a much more positive image to our Greek Community in terms of Leadership, service and compliance.

By: Future Founder
by: DeepherOct 27, 2014 8:58:59 PM

I hope Kappa Sigma, ZBT and Sig Eps come to MSU soon. I know many guys in these fraternities at Rutgers. All solid houses. I am really not that familiar with DTD, but I do know that are at Stevens and are very popular.

By: Deepher
by: future greeksNov 10, 2014 8:11:08 PM

Kappa Sig tried to charter on campus and got denied. ZBT died back in the 90s and from what i hear were always useless. a bunch of goobers tried to found DTD and crumbled because the task was too much. APD is the only fraternity chartering on campus in the upcoming year(s). Throwing big names of fraternities because their good at other schools doesnt necessarily mean that they are going to possess the same values as they did in your visit to a real greek community. New fraternities generally tend to be awkward and unappealing to the social community in the beginning years unless properly founded by a successful chapter that puts care into the charterment which is rare at best. Also unless there is a stellar group of individuals capable and seeking something better than what the campus has to offer.... all of the individuals that will be founding these fraternities are going to be joining the current active fraternities on campus, improving on the ground work that has already been established for years and creating something far superior than what they could have started short term.

By: future greeks
by: TKE ALUMNUSNov 11, 2014 6:23:21 PM

APD is a complete joke. Their chapters only survive about maybe 10 years and die out afterwards. Plus I do not see them competing with Pikes, DX, Sig Pi, which are large national fraternities that offer more resources to their members. Just look what happen to Tau Delta Phi. The Greek Community needs to keep students interested in Greek Life and the current Greeks are starting to become stale and uninteresting to several students. New Greeks bring life and new ideas to the community and it gives students more a variety to choose from, plus it will increase the Greek population. As A MSU Alumnus and a member of a fraternity, the Greek Community definitely needs some major improvements. At this point, WPU Greek Life looks better than MSU and that is not saying much. As MSU increases enrollment in the next few years, the need to add more frarternities to campus will be most needed. I do see K Sig, ZBT, Sig Ep and even TKE making their way on campus in the near future. And just because some fraternities did not do that well in the beginning, does not mean they will fail again. I am very well familiar with K Sig, ZBT and Sig Ep and I do know that all three fraternities have done well with their expansion/recruitment process at other campuses in the last several years. Remember everything changes in life...nothing stays the same and MSU Greek Community will keep changing and growing. It's the old saying, if one does work, another one will.

By: TKE ALUMNUS
by: IFCNov 11, 2014 9:42:50 PM

MSU currently has a total enrollment of 21,000 and it is suppose to increase their enrollment by 25,000 students by 2020. With the new School of Life Sciences, the brand new Business School and the future School of Technology (2017), that number of students will most likely happen. I see our Greek life Community increasing as well over the next 5 years. I would be great bring on new fraternities and revised the ones that were here as well. I feel that with new fraternities come more creative, aggressive and talented men that would give Greek Life the push it needs to be competitive with other schools and the same goes with new sororities. Our school is growing and MSU will be the second largest State University in NJ and we as Greeks need to keep that in mind. Yes new Greeks will find it hard at first to fit in the social scene of the campus, but they eventually do and students will start noticing them more as time goes on. And let's not forget that the current Greeks were in that same situation when they started. It is known as "Growing Pains" and it happens at every school with new Greeks.

By: IFC
by: CPCNov 15, 2014 2:32:47 PM

Future Greeks is totally wrong on his/her statement. New Greeks bring new ideas so far as leadership, service and scholarship to a Greek Community. They are more in tune with what the University and Greek leaders look for in a Greek Organization, not just another party/drinking club. We have too many of those on campus now. And as far as them being awkward and unappealing, that is also BS. New Greeks are referred to as a "New Product" on campus, which students become curious and interested in seeing what they have to offer. As our campus expands and increases the population, our Greek Community will need to offer more variety for students to chose from, than what we currently have already. There are probably a good % of students on campus that did not rush a Greek Organization because they did not like what is being offered, which a new Greek Organization(s) can and will help engage more students to the Greek Community.

By: CPC
by: TKE AlumnusNov 15, 2014 9:39:39 PM

Finally someone with a brain finally gets it.

By: TKE Alumnus
#4  by: anonymous   

What happened to Alpha Sigma Phi? They actually showed a lot of promise.

By: anonymous
#5  by: Sorority Girl   

I heard Alpha Sigma Phi had a lot of issues regarding Hazing, not complying with policies (both University & National) and other RM issues that force the University to withdraw their recognition and their national to revoke their charter. It is sad, but again if Greeks are not going to play by the rules of the University, then they wil be gone. I also think that this is away to get rid of problem Greeks and focus on new Greeks that will comply with the University rules.

By: Sorority Girl
#6  by: Truth About Alpha Sigma   

Alpha Sigma Phi members decided to dismantle the group. They did not get thrown off campus for any reason at all. It was their own decision and they did not haze their members or anything like that.

By: Truth About Alpha Sigma
#7  by: Truth About Alpha Sigma   

The members decided that they did not want to be part of the greek community and closed down the chapter. That is what happened.

By: Truth About Alpha Sigma
#8  by: OSDJ   

What happened to Delta Sigma Theta?

By: OSDJ
#9  by: Andrea Kodack   

Sigma Tau Nu was a local sorority founded in the 90s and taken over by Phi sigma sigma

By: Andrea Kodack
#10  by: Gen Z Greek   

Does anyone know if MSU is planning on expanding Greek Life? Now that Bloomfield is apart of the campus, adding more orgs would be nice like Sigma Lambda Gamma or some more NPC like ZTA, AXO, XO, AOII, or ADPi

By: Gen Z Greek

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.