facebook

housing?

by: Wondering

I am going to be a freshman in the fall, I was wondering what the sorority houses are like. I haven't visited yet. Do most girls live in them? As a freshman would I live in them?

Posted By: Wondering
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: sorority star   

In lubbock there is a law that forbids Greeks from living in the houses, which are actually called lodges because of this. The lodges are mainly just used for chapter.

By: sorority star
#2  by: No   

You can't live in the houses if you're in a sorority. It may be different for frats, but in Lubbock more than a certain number of girls living in one house is considered a brothel. That law hasn't been lifted. Even so, I doubt any of the chapters, at least not mine, would want to go through the work to actually live in the house. We'd all have to add bedrooms and build new, bigger houses. It'd be a mess trying to decide who gets to live there cause clearly not all 200 something girls could, and your dues would sky rocket because you'd have more to pay for. I think living in the house would be a night mare. I like our lodges just the way they are.

By: No
by: DekeApr 15, 2014 1:07:42 PM

Actually your wrong, "Brothel" laws are an urban myth and are the reason many campuses use to explain why there is no housing for Greeks. In each scenario, including Lubbock, no such laws can be found and if there are vague references to such they would be easily over-turned on a simple court challenge.

The truth is that a lot of Universities and Chambers of Commerce don't want the competition for housing dollars. Combine this with the prohibitive cost of adding living quarters, food service, cleaning, etc., make it very expensive to chapters who have been in this system for many years.

TTU and by extension Lubbock, with a such a large % of students living in campus housing, combined with a very powerful CoC, who is very motivated to keep the rent dollars flowing to it's apartment owning members, is not likely to allow a couple thousand check writing customers get away.

By: Deke
by: yeah noApr 15, 2014 4:54:30 PM

the brothel thing is true. my dad is a lawyer in lubbock, we've looked it up

By: yeah no
#3  by: Deke   

Wrong again there bud. The ordinances against more than 3 unrelated people living together are not to stop a "brothel" but to enforce housing codes. It's been extended to Frat/Sorority houses on TTU b/c of zoning laws, Greek circle lies in an area designated for single family housing. You have to prove that prostitution is taking place not that there are just more than 3 lady parts in the house for it to be a brothel!

The sad part is I believe Lubbock does make exceptions for communal living in these areas, examples might include a YMCA or a half-way house for abused women, the fact is that the University and CoC don't want the competition and also the institutions themselves don't want to invest in that kind of upgrade, they're happy with the current situation but to think that any kind of ordinance like that would stand up in court is ludicrous, does your dad actually "practice" law?

By: Deke
#4  by: Bb   

Madison stop this is not a law

By: Bb
#5  by: tippitoo   

All freshmen are required to live in dorms unless they get a waiver for living nearby with relatives. You will find that Stangel has the most girls living there who end up rushing. It also has the best food.

By: tippitoo

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.