facebook

Fraternity rush

by: Guest

I think most people at this school can agree that the frat rush system at this school is completely broken. Rushees can only pref one frat, which means they only have one shot at getting a bid. This leads to a lot of cool guys who would be great members of another frat only rushing frats like Pike because they’re “top”, only to ultimately get rejected and shut out of Greek life. It also leads to a greater gap between the different “tiers” (most of the guys in mid/lower tier frats rusher there because they weren’t confident enough to rush a better frat), as well as a bunch of new frats being formed when there isn’t enough available housing for them to be able to grow and succeed. Clearly something needs to be changed about how rush is conducted, and with there being a good chance that rush will be very different than normal this year anyways, now’s the perfect time to try something new out. Here are some suggestions:

1. Make rush longer. 4 days is not nearly enough time to decide what people you want to spend the rest of college with. I know that many frats typically do pre-rush events in the fall, but obviously that won’t happen this year bc the freshmen aren’t on campus.

2. Make the last couple events invite only. That way frats can weed out the kids they know they don’t want early, and those kids can then put more of their effort into rushing frats that might actually want them rather than wasting their time at a frat that doesn’t.

3. Let kids get more than one bid. This’ll require more planning but can be done. The main way I see it working is each frat doing what Sig Pi does for their fall rush and have the rushees say whether or not they’ll consider a bid. So kids can be considered at multiple frats as long as they don’t suicide rush and only pick one, and therefore have more of a chance of getting a bid. Of course they’d have to choose one frat to pledge, but this way rushees are encouraged to rush more than one frat and therefore have a better chance of finding the one that’s truly the best fit for them.

Honestly if any one of these is put into effect, it’ll greatly improve the SCU fraternity rush experience. Rush chairs, please consider these ideas before planning rush this year! You’ll thank me later.

Posted By: Guest
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: HH   

It is a great idea, literally every other college does it this way. However I doubt the top frats would want to do it just because it'll allow for more quality guys to go to mid tier frats.

By: HH
by: OpSep 28, 2020 8:44:52 PM

It doesn’t really affect them negatively tho. Judging from the Pike’s I know I highly doubt they’d decide to pledge any other frat, so it’s not like they’d be losing guys. If anything it’d make it easier for them as they could just weed out the guys they know they don’t want early so they’d have a smaller pool to choose from on pref night.

By: Op
by: HHSep 29, 2020 1:47:41 AM

I think it affects them negatively in the sense that there's a cap of how many guys places like pike and cal phi can take so plenty of quality guys don't get a bid and then are left with no options.

By: HH
by: NahSep 29, 2020 3:01:20 PM

I’ve talked to guys in pike and they said they don’t have a cap on the number of guys they can take. They just take as many guys as they think would be a good fit, so the guys that are rejected are the guys that the frat doesn’t want/think will be a good fit. I don’t see why they would care whether or not the guys they reject end up in another frat, a lot of pike rejects end up rushing/pledging other frats as sophomores under the current system and they don’t seem to care too much about that.

By: Nah
by: POct 21, 2020 10:41:25 PM

Regardless, most guys who get rejected by pike are solid and could definitely strengthen any of the mid tier frats. While some guys do re rush the following year I'd say most give it up and do something else.

By: P
#2  by: Bump   

Bump because this is facts

By: Bump
#3  by: Facts   

Facts

By: Facts
#4  by: Why?   

Why isn't this a thing here?

By: Why?
by: Blame it on pikeNov 7, 2020 1:39:47 PM

Probably the Pikes trying to preserve their annual ego boost where they reject a bunch of kids who only rush Pike because they have the best parties. I’ve talked to guys in pretty much every other frat and they agree that the system is really messed up and needs to change.

By: Blame it on pike
#5  by: This   

Change it to this. This would help greek life so much here.

By: This
#6  by: ok   

genius

By: ok
#7  by: no   

terrible idea

By: no
by: SmhDec 17, 2020 9:13:41 PM

Why is it so terrible? Most seem to agree with the ideas posted here. Lemme guess, you’re a pike loser who’s fragile ego depends on rejecting a bunch of kids who probably wouldn’t have rushed your frat had they been able to properly check out the other frats.

By: Smh
#8  by: 2 weeks   

2 weeks, make this happen.

By: 2 weeks
#9  by: !   

cant wait for this to happen

By: !

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.