facebook

majors at w&l??

by: Ray

This is a bad place to ask this I know, but I thought I could get some current students’ perspectives

I’m coming to W&L next year and I think I want to major in math, or maybe CS. However people I know who are/were students have said that most departments besides the C-school and History aren’t good.

Is it a bad idea to pursue math or CS at W&L? Is one better than the other? Is it more advisable just to hop down the Business/Econ route?

Posted By: Ray
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Majors   

Hi Ray,
You don’t have to declare a major until the end of your sophomore year. You have plenty of time to learn about the resources in each department and determine what classes you like best. There are plenty of FDR (required classes) that are smart to take first semester. Don’t feel like you have to have everything planned out before you get here. Congratulations on W+L you’re going to have a great time!

By: Majors
#2  by: Sheve   

Sup.
Anyone who says majors outside of the Williams school (Econ, business, politics) aren’t good probably only major in one of those. I have a unique perspective bc I double major with a Williams school major and a major in the sciences. There are great departments evryerhwhre. I enjoy my science major much more than my Williams school major. Take whatever you’re interested in and then decide sophomore year. Can’t speak about CS directly but know a few majors who love the program. There is no bad route at W&L. At the very least smaller majors with fewer resources make up for it with a tight knit community and professors you get to know really well

By: Sheve

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.