facebook

interpret?

by: Huh?

"What should really be discussed is the deterioration of the Greek community at SMU. The kids rushing and pledging have massive entitlement issues which is causing the widespread probation and accelerated pledge programs at the school. Pledgeship used to be about building a pledge up into something better, but the kids are just getting more and more sensitive."

Posted By: Huh?
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: joke?   

Joke?

By: joke?
#2  by: darn   

Literally what IFC came and said to all of the fraternities last week at chapter....

By: darn
by: sbMar 26, 2013 10:48:49 PM

So if this is true, how does feeling entitled cause widespread probation?

By: sb
#3  by: SMU alum   

You need to look at the Release Figures Methodology that National Panhellenic put into place a few years back. It requires that the stronger houses cut more girls in the first rounds, while the weaker houses release fewer, if any. National Panhellenic is trying to even out the process - fewer girls will get their first choices, but in the end at least they will have a choice. You can argue that it hurts the better houses (it definitely does), while forcing girls to have fewer choices in the end (probably). I remember the "good old days" - the Big Three dominated at the expense of the weaker houses. Since I was in one of the Big Three, I didn't pay attention. We all competed for the same girls and could keep the same number, whether or not the last five years you didn't meet quota. However, looking back, I remember how many girls were cross-cut (my best friend, who pledged sophomore year and by senior year was homecoming queen). The top tier was SO strong that the second tier was simply invisible. You can look at this as social engineering, or communism (all houses are equal, blah blah, blah), or you can look at it as letting more girls experience Greek life and the wonders that it offers. Personally, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth, but I still understand why they did it. Elevate the smaller houses at the expense of the Big 3 (or Big 4 or 5, depending on the school).That is why you hear of amazing houses not making quota - they simply had to cut too many girls.

By: SMU alum
by: HiliariousMar 26, 2013 8:15:00 PM

What a load of BS to try to explain kappa and piphi having to take snap bids this year. Nice try... and posing as an alum? How lame can you get......

By: Hiliarious
by: hahaMar 27, 2013 12:18:28 PM

Uhhhhh, yea, it's clearly obvious you don't understand the new release system or have no experience with it. Top houses will always BID MATCH quota--it's impossible to not, even when you're forced to release 50% of PNM's on day 1. Basically, the new system doesn't allow for the top houses or "big" houses to have full parties all week only to make their huge cuts before pref night. The PNM has more of a say in where she goes, which is how it should be, and they find out sooner in the process that a so-called top house doesn't want them. Even the house that struggles the most with recruitment numbers and getting quota on the old system will usually BID MATCH quota or very close to it.

The question is whether or not the girls on your list accept the bid. Doesn't mean you didn't make quota b/c you had to cut, it's because the girls on your list don't want to accept your bid--which means it's based on the PNM's experience in the house, not the new release system. Big Difference.

By: haha
by: irrelevantMar 27, 2013 6:19:26 PM

It affects all houses evenly, "top 3" or not, and the bottom line is the same

By: irrelevant
by: No kiddingMar 29, 2013 2:55:31 PM

Really, girls simply chose other sororites besides Piphi and Kappa this year.......

By: No kidding
#4  by: come on   

The SMU administration is basically rampaging to shut down pledgeship as much as they can. The widespread probation and accelerated pledge programs are from the SMU administration probing into Greek life and forcing fraternities to shut down pledgeship. While it's understandable to want to look out for the safety of students, SMU admins are taking it too far and working hard to burn frats at SMU down

By: come on

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.