facebook

extra sororities

by: SFASU

Did any of you guys realize that there used to be more than 5 sororities? Gamma Phi Beta and Sigma Kappa used to be here at SFA. What does everyone think about if we were to have one of those sororities to return? Or if we even got a 6th sorority at all? Also does anyone know why these chapters closed?

Posted By: SFASU
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Reasons   

Gamma Phi Beta closed because they never had a house and could not retain numbers, so their nationals closed their chapter. Sigma Kappa will never return here, they were closed for hazing. SFA only has 5 sororities because that's the amount we have enough girls going through recruitment to support. Chapter total is somewhere around 100, so until we have 100 girls getting cut from recruitment (enough to support chapter total for a whole other house) we will remain at 5 houses.

By: Reasons
by: NoDec 1, 2020 3:43:47 PM

My mom was friends with lots of Sigma Kappas, including my godmother. They were a great chapter and had a couple of bad pledge groups. Then ZTA colonized and Sigma Kappa just couldn't regain their foothold. It was never about hazing.

By: No
by: AngelSep 6, 2022 6:02:20 PM

Wrong information- there was no hazing bc I was a member at this time. The loss of the chapter had to do with a huge class of graduating seniors, half of the membership, we’re lost. By the time national realized it, it was too late to recoup and attract new members bc of its size. If given another chance, I believe Sigma Kappa could return successfully!

By: Angel
#2  by: ???   

When was Gamma Phi Beta here? My mom went here in the 80's and remembers Sigma Kappa but not Gamma Phi.

By: ???
#3  by: God   

As long as it's not a retarted joke like Phi Theta Gamma

By: God
by: HonestlyJan 6, 2013 2:16:20 PM

Gamma Phi was here in the late 80's-mid 90's. They bought a lot on sorority row, but never built. Sigma Kappa wasn't kicked off for hazing, they just could never get their membership back up after a couple of bad pledge classes. They were a top sorority in the 70's. I would love to see a couple of new sororities. We have plenty of girls and some variety would be nice. However, it will never happen with the big houses to fill. Each sorority has large numbers. My mom said they were all at about 80 or so when she was here in the 80's. Now with the expensive houses, they MUST have large numbers to pay for them. Good sororities, all of them, in their different ways. Just wish there was at least one more!

By: Honestly
#4  by: Mark Webb   

I was a Sig Tau at SFASU from 1974 to 1979 and was a big brother to the Sigma Kappas. I just found out that their chapter failed after I graduated. They were super strong in 1975 but I guess it just sort of fell apart for them coming into the '80s. Back then, the sororities had wings in the dorms instead of houses. Breaks my heart that they didn't make it. Great bunch of girls!

By: Mark Webb
by: AngelSep 6, 2022 5:57:36 PM

You are absolutely correct! I was a Sigma Kappa in the early 80’s, and yes what happened was that in 1979, Sigma Kappa, had a huge graduation class and lost half of the membership. By the time, the national organization came in to assist, several rushes had occurred, and the sorority could not keep up with the larger sororities. Zeta was the last sorority to come on campus, and they had a very hard time attracting members, until their national came in. Many of the sigmas were little sisters to several of the large fraternities including the sigma chis, sigma taus, theta chis, lambda chis. We were respectful, and had a very strong sisterhood, it’s unfortunate that we did not survive, but if given a chance, and knowing what we know now, we could come back stronger than ever!

By: Angel
#5  by: Class of 90   

I was a Sigma Kappa. It was because of numbers not hazing. They where the first to move to an off campus house, long before sorority row was established. I believe not having the name recognition in the dorms unfortunately hurt us.

By: Class of 90
#6  by: Revisiting   

Coming back to this topic. Hoping if our student population grows we can bring back one of these sororities. I'd prefer Sigma Kappa because they had a longer campus history than GPhi.

By: Revisiting

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.