facebook

recs for rushing fall 2014

by: Yankee

Ever since I began looking to go to auburn university my sophomore year of highschool I had considered joining a sorority. Now that I have confirmed my spot in next eyes freshman class it has become clear to me that my next task is to get recs to rush with. Coming from New England (boston area) I can tell you I know NOTHING about this process despite all the research I've done. I have no clue where to get any of these letters or who to ask. I know maybe 2 people in sororities and they are at northern schools (don't need recs). There are also no (to my knowledge) alumnae chapters near where I live. If someone could please give me some advice it would be greatly appreciated!

Posted By: Yankee
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 2
#1  by: Help   

Ask your friends if their moms, sisters, or other family members or friends are sorority alums. Recs are important for some sororities, and some they aren't that important, so it isn't the end of the world if you don't get a rec for every sorority. It's fine if they are recs from northern schools, any alum will work.

By: Help
#2  by: Help   

Ask your friends if their moms, sisters, or other family members or friends are sorority alums. Recs are important for some sororities, and some they aren't that important, so it isn't the end of the world if you don't get a rec for every sorority. It's fine if they are recs from northern schools, any alum will work.

By: Help
#3  by: Also   

Have you asked any of your teachers if they have a sorority affiliation or know someone who does? I know girls who have gotten recs from them, coaches and guidance counselors. Really, any woman you know who went to a four year school could be Greek and you just don't know it. This could include neighbors, someone you baby sat for, know through church, etc. Your parents might have co-workers who are. And it's true that any alumnae can do recs as long as they're in good standing with nationals. It doesn't matter where they went to school. If you're from near Boston, there really should be some alumnae groups. Go to each Auburn sorority's national website and see if you can find a list of alumnae chapters and who to contact. If there really aren't any near you, try contacting the next closet ones. I know girls who have gotten recs from alumnae group members that weren't local or close to them. Sometimes they'd talk on the phone, communicate through email and I even know one girl who Skyped with some alums who ended up giving her recs. Good you're starting early! Most recs come in during the summer, so you don't want to wait too late to even start finding people to do them for you. Good luck!

By: Also
#4  by: ...   

This is how the process usually goes: most recs my sorority gets come on an official form that alums download from our national website. You don't need to worry about getting that form. More sororities are letting alums file the recs electronically through the national website, then they get forwarded to us. My mom is a sorority alum who does about 10 recs a year and just started doing them online. She loves it, but some sororities require they be mailed in, and some alums like doing it that way, so ask your rec writers what they prefer. What YOU need to give your rec writers are 1.) a current photo. A nice, flattering head shot or classy casual is what you need. This isn't so we can judge your looks. It's so we can remember you because, when over 1000 PNMS are coming through, names and faces start running together. 2.) a resume that includes your high school activities, any awards, honors, service work, part-time jobs and anything else that tells us about you, your interests and talents. Also make sure alums know your GPA, class rank (if your school ranks) and SAT and/or ACT scores. My sorority's rec form asks and I know my mom's does too. Finally, keep all your social media clean because it will probably get looked at by sorority members, rec writers and maybe chapter advisers. Don't hide who you are, but show us that you're a classy lady who would be a good representative of our letters. I hope you have a great recruitment!

By: ...
#5  by: a thought   

google: New England Area Auburn Club and get in touch with an alumni...maybe they can help you find people in your area.

By: a thought
#6  by: And   

Ask your mom to post on her Facebook page that you need sorority recs.

By: And
by: AndMar 21, 2014 9:57:09 AM

When women there tell you that you don't need recs, don't believe them. You DO need recs here.

By: And
by: YesMar 23, 2014 2:22:19 AM

This is a great way to get recs. I know a lot, and I mean A LOT of people who got at least some of their recs this way. You'd be surprised at who has a sorority affiliation and I know girls who got almost all their recs after their moms, an aunt or older sister reached out on FB. Good luck!

By: Yes
#7  by: xoxo   

Also, if you end up not being able to find a rec for a sorority it isn't the biggest deal. I had recs for every single sorority except for the one I ended up receiving a bid for! Weird how it works out that way.

If the sorority truly wants you then they will find a rec for you. :)

By: xoxo
by: You wereMar 26, 2014 7:29:04 PM

Very lucky. Do everything you can to get at least one rec per sorority. This will help prevent from getting cut after the first round. The first round is so quick and Sooo many girls (1,000 approx) going through....don't make it easy for the sororities to cut you before they have had a chance to get to know you. In the end it is all about how well you click with the sororities, but you have to make it further in the process to make connections most of the time.

By: You were
#8  by: FB   

Make sure your mom is posting only to her friend list... Not just random people or organizations. It's best to have recs from people who really know you.

By: FB
#9  by: Also   

When you do secure your recs, please be considerate and send your rec writers a thank-you note.

By: Also
#10  by: WDE   

bump

By: WDE

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.