facebook

legacy

by: SOS

Have in-house legacy cuts been more harsh this year? It seems several sororities have made that tough cut this year.

Posted By: SOS
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Completely agree   

Daughter legacy to 2 sororities who dropped her...needless to say, she was surprised and little upset. Another shock to me was that I did not know pnm's were allowed to text sorority members and vice versa! I didn't read up on all the info, but I thought that wasn't allowed. And to blatantly do it in front of others is unbelievable. At least they could have kept up the look of propriety! Seems unfair that "friendships" take precedence over getting to know someone new. I'm not saying legacies should take complete precedence, but neither should close ties to friends from hs. I thought the whole point was to meet new people..At least at Bama, you know what you are getting into. I would strongly discourage anyone wanting to come here wind go through rush. My daughter is happy now, but I hope my comments will help potential rushees.

By: Completely agree
#2  by: AU12   

I don't believe you should automatically get into a certain sorority because your mom or grandma was in it. Nor because your friend is. Legacies can be dropped for a number of reason... Grades, bad conversationalist, or there are simply too many legacies to keep them all. You aren't a shoe-in just because your mom was in the same sorority. There is a lot of voting and thought that goes into keeping each and every member.

By: AU12
#3  by: @au12   

The original question was concerning "in-house legacies".

By: @au12
#4  by: ?   

Who cares

By: ?
#5  by: oldschool   

we used to purposely rate legacies lower so that they wouldn't bump the girls we really wanted. They do start with a higher point base, and although we were not SUPPOSED to take that into consideration, we had long conversations about how to bump up our favorites on the bid list. Many times it meant scoring those legacies with no personality, with high gpa's very low. If the legacy was well-liked it was a no-brainer. I think being a legacy should mean the girls make an effort to get to know that individual, but shouldn't give you a major advantage.

By: oldschool
#6  by: My sorority   

had more in-house legs than usual this year and we had to cut half because of grades. Usually we make a few exceptions and those are given to in-houses, but this year we couldn't make any. It's a disappointing situation for the whole sorority

By: My sorority
#7  by: Really   

There's just a ton of legacies rushing at all competitive schools, so I think more in-house legacies are getting dropped everywhere. A lot of alumnae who do recs tell you it hardly ever happened in their day, but that they see it so much now that you shouldn't think you're golden going in. Really, not everyone is a good fit for the chapter. It might have been your mother's sorority, but not yours. I feel bad for girls who get a lot of pressure from family members to join a certain sorority at a certain school. It's not fair. It's their turn, not mom and grandma's chance to relive their college years. Plus, the legacy must feel like she's letting down her family if that chapter drops her, which does happen a lot more than it used to.

By: Really
#8  by: for instance   

We had 68 legacies go through this year and took 20. PNMs would do better NOT to list legacy status. Other groups will cut you because they assume you will go there even though Panhellenic stats show the numbers are against you. Members will give legacies lower scores so they can get their friends in. U Texas (and some other schools) do not give legacy status to any other groups except the legacy group. You don't always get what you want and some may not want their legacy group, but legacies shouldn't get double penalized. Just because Lucy Legacy says she didn't like Mom's or Sister's group does not mean she didn't. She doesn't want to be the girl that Mean Girls (and they will) say, "What's wrong with her that her Mom's /Sister's group cut her!"

By: for instance

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.