facebook

fraternity rush advice

by: Anonymous

The greek system is one of the best things this university has to offer. I really believe that all the frats at kent, besides 2, are going to give you nothing but an amazing experience and friends to last a lifetime. The other 2 being newer ones that will eventually catch up. This of course implies that you fit in and really like your fellow brothers. The biggest issues with rushing I see is that the cost of being a pledge can be more than you expect, and that not enough effort is given into looking around for your best fit. There are going to be a set mount of dues that needs to be paid as a pledge, but there are many smaller expenses that have no forewarning. To participate in quite a few normal greek life activities like the various fundraisers and philanthropies you will more than likely need to spend some bucks. You will also have more shirts (which you still gotta pay for) than you know what to do with. It is very easy to get caught up in the moment with rushing a fraternity. It is not like the sororities where you have to meet everyone before bids are given out. When I rushed I didn’t know about greek rank or what the tiers were, I didn’t even know like half the frats on campus until 4 weeks in of pledging. If it hadn’t been for my friend pushing me to go to more rush events I would not of found the frat I truly feel I belong in. I would of made a choice to rush somewhere else where I didn’t truly fit in. The majority of people I see drop after being initiated are ones that don’t entirely fit and and more than likely got tunnel vision during rush. I am not saying don’t have preferences or don’t focus on one frat. Just follow your gut and get out there. The stronger greek life is as a whole the more benefits we all have. At the end of the day no matter what frat you go you will not not be a DGI.

p.s.
Save some extra money over the summer for rush/pledging and you will be very glad you did. BE YOURSELF DURING RUSH, nothing is more of a turn off then a PNM humble bragging for the entire time they are at a rush event. Its cool you got some crazy car or high school sports story, but if you don’t show your personality all we have is a laundry list of achievements trying to rush. This isn’t college apps these are social clubs. Show us what ya got and don’t be fake. Don’t be intimidated by brothers you meet for we NEED new members every year and some of us can be just as nervous as the PNM’s. We are like everyone else and if you don’t see us wearing blocks you probably can’t pick us out of a crowd, we are all just guys being dudes. Have a good summer and I hope you grades are in order, nothing makes our job easier knowing we dont have to worry about your grades.

Posted By: Anonymous
Post Reply Report

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.