facebook

what’s the negative of living in a housed frat?

by: Pnm

I’m a pnm looking to join this summer or fall and was curious what the downside is of living in a housed fraternity. Tbh I dunno if I’d wanna live in the dorms one year, and then a frat house two more years. Wouldn’t it just be better to join one of the unhoused frats? That way I can get the fraternity experience (even if it’s a little different) without having to live in

Posted By: Pnm
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Ugh   

If you’re a freshman, unless you join one of the affiliated housing chapters (which is only like 3 houses) then you have to live in the dorms anyways.

By: Ugh
#2  by: HonestAdvice   

I’m in a sorority, but my partner is in a fraternity, and he honestly hated living in for two years. A lot of the houses are old and falling apart, and he didn’t have any alone time or space of his own. But it all depends on the experience you’re going for. Living in can be cool too cause of already prepared food, always having friends around, sometimes it’s cheaper than Corvallis rent, etc. Some unhoused fraternities are still pretty involved in Greek Life. I’d recommend checking both out during rush.

By: HonestAdvice
#3  by: Right.    

Your chapter (like phi psi) has to bid a ton of random people to try to fill the house. Then your brotherhood sucks etc

By: Right.
by: SigJul 1, 2019 5:23:09 PM

Lots of random in phi psi

By: Sig
#4  by: New Houses   

some fraternities are doing some major renovation or building projects...DU is doing a major renovation, Lambda is getting a completely new house, Sigep is doing some major remodelling, etc. Otherwise, the downside is that fraternity houses are a bit rundown at times.

By: New Houses
#5  by: .   

I would try not to think about the living in aspect of the fraternity experience as much when you are rushing. Look more at the guys, what the house has to offer and stuff like that. A lot of frats only make you live in one year and sometimes you can get out of it if there are enough guys living in that year. Also living in the dorms can be a very amazing experience but also some people hate their time in the dorms so it really depends on what dorm you get and the people in it. It really is what you make of it, if you find the right people you can really be fine with living anywhere.

By: .

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.