facebook

Sorority rush in the fall!

by: transfer

I’m transferring here in the fall and am going to be rushing! I just want to know what the process is like and how laid back/formal it is. I appreciate the insight!:)

Posted By: transfer
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Senior   

Hi and welcome to CSULB!
Sorority recruitment here is very low key and laid back when compared to big SEC schools like Alabama. However be sure to mark you calendar for the recruitment dates when they're available. You want to make sure that you attend the orientation meeting and all of your parties during the process. If you are a legacy to any of the six National Panhellenic sororities, you should consider getting a recommendation from that members-Mother, grandmother, step-mother or sister. Relax, be yourself and trust the process. Good luck!

By: Senior
by: ?Apr 14, 2020 3:05:26 AM

We have eight Panhellenic sororities here not six. Rec Letters are also recommended not required.

By: ?
by: honestlyApr 17, 2020 6:40:24 PM

Letter of recommendation don't matter all that much. They help a little, but it's not that big of a deal.

By: honestly
by: panhellenic loveJun 29, 2020 8:22:05 PM

Information for Fall 2020 Panhellenic formal Recruitment can be found on CSULB Panhellenic Social Media. The NPC sororities are Alpha Omicron Pi, Alpha Phi, Gamma Phi Beta, Tri-Delta, Delta Gamma, Delta Zeta, Sigma Kappa and Zeta Tau Alpha.

By: panhellenic love
#2  by: Why   

Why did you spend two+ years at a community college to transfer to one of the driest schools for Greek life?

By: Why
by: helloApr 14, 2020 12:58:12 AM

She’s probably prioritizing her education, if you are going here because you only care about greek life, you should re-evaluate your morals.

By: hello
by: byeApr 14, 2020 1:56:26 AM

You’d be making a great point if we were talking about USC which has great academics and even better greek life so gtfoh

By: bye
by: Well Apr 14, 2020 3:18:06 AM

This isn't USC. This is CSULB. No comparison. USC is a nationally ranked university and is one of the top five ranked universities for greek life in California. USC and the SEC universities have a better greek life communities in terms of housing, events, student and alumni involvement etc. Usually at these universities 50% percent of students on campus are in Greek life. Long Beach only has like 2% of students in fraternities or sororities . We are a commuter school, but that doesn't mean that we don't have a good Greek life here. It's not bad. FSL is improving at CSULB. More people are participating in recruitment and greek life here is growing. Secondly, we are a good school academically too. We are one of the highest ranked universities in the California State University System out of 23 universities.The acceptance rate is only 32% for undergraduates here.

By: Well
by: transferApr 17, 2020 4:19:30 PM

I chose to go to CSULB for the great location and academics! I know I want to be involved with something, so why not join Greek life?? I think it’s going to be amazing!!

By: transfer
#3  by: Sophomore   

Hello! Welcome to CSULB. Recruitment is extremely laid back here. Sorority Recruitment is usually only 3 to 4 days max. You can check out each sorority when they are tabling during week of welcome or greek week.
Here's a detailed example of what the process is like. It's kind of long, but here it is.
You sign up for Panhellenic recruitment on the university's website, pay a rush fee usually $50-$65. You also are required to attend information night to learn about the different organzations and the recruitment process, dress codes for recruitment, rules, annual payments/ dues for each sorority, you learn what an rho gamma is. Your rho gamma is a sorority member who goes unaffiliated during recruitment and you won't know what sorority she is in.
She disaffiliates with her sorority and you can ask her questions about recruitment, ranking houses, basically the process etc .We have the first day of recruitment usually a few days after info night where you meet all eight Panhellenic sororities and go through an interview process/ are greeted with door chants. You rank the sororities based on the ones you liked and the sororities make their first cuts that day. The process for day one usually last from 8a.m.-7p.m. The second day you get invited back to all or some of the houses. You learn about each sorority and their philantrophy ex Alzheimer's research, service for sight etc. You rank usually your top four choices and the sororities cut potential new members. On the third day its preference night you rank two choices and pick your top one. The last day you find out which sorority picked you and you go to rho gamma reveal if you don't have class. On bid day you go at night to your sorority and meet your sisters at parties held for new members usually at their sorority houses. Also Recommendations letters are not requirement only recomemnded even if you are a legacy to a house. A legacy example is your mom, grandmother, or sister is an alum of that sorority. Being a legacy doesn't guarantee a bid. You are not guaranteed a bid when participating. All the sororities cut potential new members and have a limited number of quotas/ avaliable spots for pnms.
If you don't receive any bids from all of the eight Panhellenic sororities , You will receive a call from your rho gamma / greek counselor and will be told not to come to bid day. It does happen, but not too many Pnms receive no bids.

By: Sophomore
by: transferApr 17, 2020 4:21:09 PM

I appreciate the insight so much!!

by: SophomoreApr 19, 2020 8:51:43 AM

No problem transfer. Good luck with the upcoming Sorority recruitment!

#4  by: Tea   

Transfer i hear? u already know gphi gonna put in work to recruit you

By: Tea
by: transferApr 17, 2020 4:20:19 PM

Would them or anyone want me even if I’m gonna be 22 during rush??

by: SophomoreApr 19, 2020 9:13:51 AM

Yes! A large number of freshman participate, however plenty of transfer students participate in recruitment as well especially since they are new to the university and want to have be involved on campus. 22 is actually an average age of a potential new member. Some students even older than you participate in recruitment. If you receive a bid, your new member class is going to mixed ages. My pledge/new member class
had freshman, sophomores, juniors and a quite few seniors. Some will be younger than you and some will be a little older.

#5  by: lol   

we’re probably gonna be online until 2021 so i wouldn’t be trippin about recruitment rn.

By: lol
#6  by: Bruh   

Greek life here sucks go somewhere else

By: Bruh
by: FSL JesusApr 19, 2020 9:17:22 PM

Someone had to say it...have fun partying at apartments and small aas houses in the ghetto

By: FSL Jesus
#7  by: Sophmore   

Greek life is laid back here. We don’t have as many sororities and fraternities as an sec school, but we are still great here.

By: Sophmore

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.