facebook

close bidding sorority rushing

by: senior pnm

How does close bidding work? I heard that a few sororities are at their maximum number of members and may not participate in informal recruitment. However, they might secretly bid girls that contact them the most either by email or texts. Is this true or should I wait for fall formal recruitment to get into the sorority that I want to get into?

Posted By: senior pnm
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Senior   

Hi. I believe that you are referring to Continuous Open Bidding.
If you are interested in one of the sororities that is at chapter total and cannot participate in informal recruitment, then I would advise you to wait until formal recruitment.
If that is the case, then I suggest that you keep up your grades, stay involved in campus life and if possible get to know the sorority women that you might have in a class. Good luck!

By: Senior
by: ?Jan 18, 2020 2:32:10 PM

Why do sororities care about my grades? It seems like none of their business. Do I have to show my parents tax returns?

By: ?
by: Reply:?Jan 19, 2020 12:33:59 AM

Grades do have an importance, but It’s not like you are required to have a 4.0 or 3.75 to be a member. That’s a little crazy. All Sororities at the beach require members to have a minimum gpa of 2.0 to participate in spring recruitment. It’s usually 2.0 to 2.5 after recruitment to remain an active member of a sorority .

By: Reply:?
by: SeniorJan 19, 2020 8:53:16 AM

National Panhellenic and the schools set the minimum grade requirements for participation in formal and informal recruitment. If you do accept a bid from a group, you'll begin their new member program which will require some extra time on your part.
Your parents tax returns are not required but you will want to find out what are the costs associated with the groups you are interested in joining. All of them have fees associated with being a new member as well as dues.

by: senior pnmJan 19, 2020 10:20:34 PM

What do you mean by have had some ongoing contact with a potential new member? Does this mean that this girl have to know these sorority recruiters by having them in her class and know them from her classes or is it that she has to text or email these recruiters often starting from week of welcome?

By: senior pnm
by: SeniorJan 20, 2020 3:24:54 PM

For the groups that are at chapter total and cannot participate in informal recruitment, yes it's possible that they've been having ongoing contact with a person ie: classmate, roommate, friend who the chapter has considered extending a bid to join their chapter as a new member.
For the chapters who are currently not at chapter total then visit them at the week of welcome tabling so they can get your contact information, share their informal recruitment events, and follow their social media.

by: SeniorJan 20, 2020 3:25:59 PM

Continuous Open Bidding policies set in place by National Panhellenic does allow for this to happen.

by: SeniorJan 20, 2020 3:32:15 PM

Continuous Open Bidding (COB) is a way for sororities to bid a few women here and there. It’s very casual and unstructured and, since not every sorority participates, it’s not easy to tell which sororities will participate in a given semester. It doesn’t operate on a schedule, so some sororities will complete their COB process before another begins it. If you’re interested in sorority membership, though, and a chapter invites you to a COB event, you should attend.

#2  by: Senior   

With COB the sororities that are unable to participate in informal recruitment usually have had some ongoing contact with a potential new member. That's why they already are considering them for a membership bid.

#3  by: senior pnm   

Thanks for the info! When do I have to pay for sorority dues? Are they due at the end of the first semester that I'm in the sorority or at beginning of the semester afterwards?

by: panhellenic loveJan 26, 2020 12:27:13 PM

If accept a bid from a group, they'll let you know when you are to pay dues. Good luck to you.

By: panhellenic love
#4  by: senior pnm   

What happens when I missed a rush event because I could not make it to that rush day event? Do I get dropped or eliminated from the bidding process or can I attend one of the rush events and miss the first rush event and still get a bid?

#5  by: Reply senior pnm   

I would contact the sorority or fraternity if you missed an recruitment event.

By: Reply senior pnm

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.