facebook

Potential New Members

by: info

Posting this for those looking for information about what to expect during recruitment. I entered this experience ready to meet people and looked forward to having fun. You should too! I just want to tell you it is not complete happiness for many girls. There are some really great people that put this process together, but you need to be prepared if things don't go your way. Many girls want the same few groups and there will be heavy cuts. You will see girls upset and some cry. Some will just walk away and not show up for a party. You will also meet girls that get cut and it will completely shock you because they seem to have it all going for themselves. Keep in mind you will be told it all works out, but it all depends. There are girls that get in a group because they have a relative in the group, girls that get in just for their looks, and others that may have friend connections. It is what it is. You have to roll with it. Keep in mind there is no way a group can get to know you in less than 20 minutes.

Posted By: info
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: CB   

^^^ita

By: CB
#2  by: SAM   

I went through recruitment and accepted a bid. It was awful and I dropped. I knew it was not a fit, but I went with it anyway. I agree that in 15-20 a handful of strangers can't judge you right, but they do. Turned out bad for me.

By: SAM
#3  by: 1234   

My experience was different. I accepted a bid to what was probably my #3 choice. I figured I had nothing to lose, so I went with it. I have made friends and have had some great times. I do think one of my other two picks would have been a better fit for me, but I stayed with it and did not drop.

By: 1234
#4  by: mich   

Be ready for rules pnms. If you don't like or want someone telling you what to do a sorority is not a smart move. Tough when you see actives breaking all the rules you must follow.

By: mich
#5  by: yesss   

I am happy enough in my group. Yes, you have to be a rule-follower, but it isn't that tough. It just depends on your personality, how much you love your group, and what you are willing to sacrifice to remain a member.

By: yesss
#6  by: imp   

Remember PNMs, when you go through recruitment week the groups pick you. You do not pick them. Your choice is really only at the very end and even at that last night the groups still get the final decision. You just cross your fingers and hope you get your top choice that final night.

By: imp
#7  by: fyi   

You don't need to feel pressure to join a sorority at FGCU. You can still meet plenty of friends, go to parties, and have a great college experience without being involved in the Greek system. You can always wait a semester or year to see if it is something you want to do.

By: fyi
#8  by: soph   

Met a girl on my hall that pledged in August. It took her a few weeks to realize the group she accepted a bid from was not right for her. She dropped because she was miserable. At first I thought she was a bit harsh, but then I realized she is paying for membership. She did not get to choose a group she really wanted to be a member in. She had to go through the process and all she kept hearing from her rho gam was "trust the process." The process does not always work and needs to be updated. 15 minutes here and 30 minutes there is really not enough time for a few girls to have judged her. You wouldn't pay for a car or clothes or food if it wasn't right, so why stay in a sorority that is not a good fit either?

By: soph
by: nolaApr 20, 2023 10:23:37 AM

^Yes.

Sororities are not for everyone and especially when you are in the wrong one.

By: nola
#9  by: kels   

Prep yourself before recruitment. Most girls face cuts. Most girls do not get the group they initially wanted. Member selection is a bit sketch. They choose you and not the other way around. PNMs reality is you make final decision if you want to belong to the one group you are matched with. Until bid day it is out of your hands.

By: kels
#10  by: 0213   

The real truth is the rush funnel is appearance based and who you know. They can tell you anything they want, but this is pretty much how it works.

By: 0213
by: sophJun 13, 2023 7:51:23 AM

Agree, but the difference is how the pnm handles what is offered to them. Can a pnm accept they may not be offered a bid to the top one or two groups? Do they have the type of personality to make friends with just about anyone? Are they open to the experience? It just depends how each pnm thinks. There is no right or wrong way, but each pnm makes their own choice.

By: soph
by: carrieJun 15, 2023 7:14:36 AM

Why would you pay money to belong to a group that you did not want to belong to, but it was the one that you had left on bid day? You wouldn't pay for a gym you did not want to train at. You wouldn't buy a car that you didn't like. The system is set up to help the chapters that are hurting. It needs to be revised.

By: carrie

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.