facebook

barnard girls in columbia sororities?

by: 1st year

Hi,
I'm going to be Barnard c/o 24 soon, and I was wondering if it's a complicated process to rush Columbia sororities as a Barnard girl? Or if it'll weaken your chances? I really wanna join Greek life but I don't know how easy it is to participate when you're a Barnard student.

Posted By: 1st year
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: yep   

Barnard students make up a large portion of the Columbia greek population.

By: yep
#2  by: havnfun   

Can you tell me if General Studies girls are discriminated against during recruitment? Thanks.

By: havnfun
by: not reallyJan 20, 2020 5:12:06 PM

There is a slight preference towards CC/SEAS and then Barnard girls in Chapters that have houses. CC/SEAS have the most spots in the house followed by a few spots for Barnard girls. Otherwise, there isn’t actual discrimination.

By: not really
by: @GSJan 29, 2020 7:56:05 PM

You see less GS students in sororities because of the demographic of the GS student body, which ends up naturally decreasing the number of GS students who go through recruitment to begin with. There should not be any discrimination against GS students rushing and from personal experience, that’s always been the case. I’d say try it out if you’re interested!

By: @GS
#3  by: hmmm   

So they aren't really discriminated against but from what you are saying, there aren't really any spots for them? That kind of sounds like discrimination...

By: hmmm
by: hmmmJan 22, 2020 11:09:40 AM

Also, what is the differentiation between chapters with houses having a certain preference vs. those without houses?

By: hmmm
by: HousingJan 22, 2020 12:33:42 PM

Only a small portion of the sorority members live in the house. Columbia housing decides the number of spots in the house that are for CC/Seas and the number for Barnard (fewer than CC/Seas). GS students have no spots in the house as given by Columbia housing. Sororities with houses know that they must fill their house to keep their house, so they have a slight preference towards members that can help them do this. Sororities without houses do not have this worry of filling their house so this doesn’t apply. That being said, GS students still get into sororities with houses, but those sororities can’t make their pledge class up of too many who can’t live in the house.

By: Housing
#4  by: Does not matter.   

It does not matter which school you go to at all. In the recruitment room, sisters don’t have access to that information, and telling them won’t make a difference. There is not quota that needs to be fulfilled for each school.

The confusion above comes from choosing to live in the house once you are in the chapter. Each house has about 15 slots, and Columbia res life has assigned each a Barnard student quota. BUT THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH RECRUUTMENT OR GETTING INTO A SORORITY AT ALL, just may affect whether you can live there in future years.

By: Does not matter.
#5  by: Does not matter.   

I completely disagree...since only 12-18 girls out of each 100+ person chapter can live in the house, there is never any worry about filling it. That is not a consideration during recruitment, and does not factor in to your ability to join a sorority.

By: Does not matter.

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.