facebook

rush didn’t work out

by: sad :/

Just...I don’t know. The process is so unfair, but the effects are so...permanent? I’m a sophomore so this was my last chance. I really never was able to click with the girls from GPHI or AOPI, even though I tried. I’ve accepted that I shouldn’t just join organizations where I can’t see myself being a good fit, but it’s hard realizing I’ll never have the sisterhood I always wanted.

Posted By: sad :/
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: maybe try again?   

just like sororities can’t really judge PNMs off of a few 10 minute conversations, you also can’t fully judge a sorority off those conversations with only a few sisters too. maybe reach out to a few sisters or try COB to see if there’s anyone you really clique with? not everyone in every chapter is super tight

By: maybe try again?
by: up arrowJan 30, 2019 8:22:43 PM

I'm so, so sorry things didn't go your way. However, you can find sisterhood in a lot of things on campus that don't necessarily have to be a sorority.
Also, if you want a personal anecdote about joining a sorority you don't click with - I joined a sorority last year that I just didn't vibe with whatsoever. I cried my eyes out during rush about some of my cuts, and I was shocked that this sorority took me whereas the "lower-tier" sorority I originally wanted cut me. However, I also really wanted to be a part of a sisterhood, any sisterhood, and I just joined. I'm not going to lie, at the beginning it was pretty uncomfortable and I felt like it was so far from the type of sorority I wanted. But I speak genuinely when I say that over the course of a year I found some of my best friends in my Chapter. I cannot imagine life at this school without my lineage and I found a bunch of girls in my pledge class I absolutely adore. At the end of bid night this year, I genuinely felt so loved being surrounded by my sisters it's crazy, and I laughed at myself one year ago who thought she wouldn't find a home in this Chapter.
Of course, this is not everyone's experience, but if you are considering COB I wanted to share, because not joining a sorority last year for me would've been a giant mistake regardless of which one it was

By: up arrow
by: agreedJan 30, 2019 10:28:43 PM

You should try COB, it's a much more relaxed process than formal recruitment so the sisters also feel relaxed. It's easier to get to know the sisters that way. I also had a similar experience rushing as a sophomore where the chapter I wanted cut me, but the one I'm in gave me a bid, and I decided to give it a try because there was one girl I really clicked with there. I don't regret it one bit, I've had so many experiences that I wouldn't have had if I didn't join a sorority, and I've made some friends I'll have for a long time.

By: agreed
#2  by: junior joiner   

i actually transferred into columbia and join a sorority as a junior, so don't despair too much. if its important to you, def keep trying.

By: junior joiner
#3  by: ha ha   

Everybody knows what you mean when you say you didn't click with the sororities that greekrankers rank at the bottom. Just be honest. You didn't have enough self confidence to join a house that didn't already have a top notch rating. Some girls would be able to join any house that wanted them, work hard to make their house better each year, and graduate with a great feeling that they'd made their house from a bottom house to a mid or top house. Not you. Just admit it instead of writing such a sob story.

By: ha ha
#4  by: um   

Some people on here are so mean! I totally get what you are saying. Not going to lie, sororities have pretty arbitrary systems that are actually more just based on wealth and clout than anything else. Someone is going to slam me on this, but like there are unattractive weird girls in THETA/DG even though they're mostly attractive and attractive girls in other sororities that are considered lower tier. I joined a sorority I didn't think I meshed well with not only because of looks but also because I' was way more extraverted than the rest of them and it ended up being a really bad fit. It's also important to note that as I've befriended girls across sororities, truthfully the lower ranked ones are the most catty and petty as they don't have rules against talking down on your sisters. Obviously now someone is going to comment that I'm shallow and doing the same, and I guess you are correct, but dg/theta is also shallow but they have a strong sisterhood nonetheless.

By: um

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.