facebook

Why join Greek life 2020

by: Pnm

Hi. My cousin told me last night that large gatherings won’t be allowed at uark in the fall. Because I will have to pay for a sorority myself I am now considering not going through recruitment. I am sure this will get me hate but if we can’t go to frat parties or attend sorority arranged functions is it even worth it? I have a friend is going to live in the kappa sig house next year. Why even live in a frat house if you can’t even have parties there? Ok I know I am going to get a lot of it’s for the philanthropy and sisterhood but seriously keep in my I will have to work hard to pay for this....will it even be worth it?

Posted By: Pnm
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: 😭   

I have not heard that? Does this mean no football games as well? Honestly if it’s true then I am not sure it would be worth it, if you have to pay for it yourself. It’s pretty expensive first year. I hope your cousin is wrong.

By: 😭
by: What?Jun 2, 2020 10:37:10 PM

I didn’t see that? No gatherings? What does that even mean? Dorms, sorority and frat houses, football games, the library, union ect... all large gatherings. I can’t see how one can attend college without large gatherings??

By: What?
#2  by: Agree   

I agree with you. The reason we want to go through recruitment and join a sorority is because of what it’s been like for years! I’ve been waiting for this for a long time! The excitement!! Now, I’m not so sure. It’s just so sad if this is true.

By: Agree
#3  by: valid !    

I understand your concerns, but I am guessing they will be adjusting the costs accordingly. They will only charge you for what you can actually participate in.

By: valid !
#4  by: ❤️   

Joining Greek life is so much more than frat parties and functions. It’s about the unbreakable bonds you’ll make with your sisters. These girls will become your people and your support system. They’ll encourage you, be your shoulder to cry on, your study buddies, and your comedy relief. Parties and functions are just a bonus. ❤️

By: ❤️
by: UghhhJun 2, 2020 10:24:31 AM

I hope this isn’t true. How will we make these bonds with our “sisters” if we can’t attend large gatherings? Isn’t pledge classes like 100 girls? Will we have to attend meetings Ect.. in what groups of ten? Idk this is making me think re think the whole thing as well.

By: Ughhh
#5  by: Just the truth    

As a junior in a sorority I also wouldn’t go through recruitment this year if you’re not going to get to have normal bid day and functions and stuff. Also just a tip, anyone can go to frat parties, you don’t have to be in a sorority. But that’s if they even get away with parties this year. It’s a lot of money to spend just to make “bonds” when there are 28000 people at this school that you can have a bond with for free. Maybe wait until spring or 2021

By: Just the truth
#6  by: Well   

At risk of sounding rude, I’m going to just say this: if you’re this hesitant solely because you might not be able to attend frat parties or functions then maybe Greek life isn’t for you. Sadly we don’t know what to expect for recruitment, meetings, functions, etc right now but we will do whatever we have to and make it work. If you care about something, making it work is just what you do! If you’re not a roll with the punches kind of girl, this might not be the year for you to rush. You’ll just need to decide what your reasons are for wanting to be in a sorority in the first place. Only then will you know if it’s “worth it”.

By: Well
by: YesJun 2, 2020 11:55:01 AM

Yes to me you sound rude. The original poster was simply asking if she is paying for it would it be worth it ? She never said that’s the only reason she would join. I will be a sophomore in the fall and will feel so sad for these girls if they can’t have the awesome bid day experience I had. I will be sad if they don’t get to have socials with the freshman frat boys. I met many of my current guy friends at those activities and enjoyed many fun nights at various frat houses. In fact , I bonded with my sisters getting ready to go out, attending functions Ect... If financially this will be a sacrifice I would also consider waiting a year, unless dues are changed substantially ... Then again it may be harder to go through recruitment as a sophomore. I feel for these pnm’s so let’s not all pretend like not having functions or attending frat events AND gatherings with just our own pledge class will not be a huge loss because it will be.

By: Yes
#7  by: greek life member   

Hey PNM,

As someone who also pays for my dues, I know where you are coming from. I think it's a lot easier for people who don't pay their dues to jump on here and tell you it's not a big deal when there are no events happening. I would register for recruitment if I were you (I know it is expensive) and you can always drop it later once we have more information. I myself am asking some of the same questions as you and I absolutely love my sorority, but as a college student with bills to pay, thousands of dollars wasted is a lot, because I will have my friends in my sorority whether or not I am a member, you sort of do only pay for all of the events and such once you make your good friends.

By: greek life member
by: PnmJun 2, 2020 5:47:12 PM

Hi! Yes if my parents could afford my dues ofcourse I would still want to go through recruitment. Thank you for understanding! I will still register and see how things play out in the fall. If there is a reduction in dues it would make it easier for me to justify the cost since we may not be able to have the typical experience this year.

By: Pnm

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.