facebook

secret societies

by: ..

is DCG a secret society? what are the secret societies at jhu? (IX doesn't count lol they are basically a sorority)

Posted By: ..
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: ? Please share   

What's DCG?

By: ? Please share
#2  by: jhu student   

DCG is not a secret society. DCG stands for Daniel Coit Gilman. The secret society behind that banner that you saw, I don't know their name but their symbol is the eye.

By: jhu student
by: From what I knowOct 20, 2016 7:32:42 PM

Gilman was JHU's first president who advocated for educational opportunities for women. Apparently this new group wants to reverse Gilmam's goals. They stand for historic role division, discrimination and inequality, when women's roles were restricted to being mothers, wives, caretakers and home keepers.

By: From what I know
by: greek18Nov 14, 2016 6:46:47 AM

They sign 'ESS' on their letters.

By: greek18
by: SleutherinDec 19, 2017 12:53:53 AM

What banner? And what did the eye look like?

By: Sleutherin
#3  by: secret society   

There is at least one secret society on campus but it's not a fraternity or sorority type organization, they are usually members of SGA that are focused on hopkins traditions. But there are rumors of other secret societies that act more like fraternities and sororities on campus

By: secret society
#4  by: ?   

I wonder if these secret (underground) societies are just a bunch of former bros whose frats were terminated. They must feel like outsiders and these "societies " are some kind of consolation and deflection from the fact that they are losers.

By: ?
by: doubt itOct 31, 2016 10:01:25 PM

sounds doubtful most of the times when frats are terminated they just continue under the same name off campus, sometimes the entire frat decides to change their name, but still most people know them by their previous frat letters

By: doubt it
#5  by: greek   

Apparently there is a super exclusive supper club?

By: greek
#6  by: Maybe…   

Some secret societies might be frats kicked off campus, especially if their national closes the chapter and members suddenly find themselves without a frat of strat affiliation. That is how IX got started. In 2009, Kappa Alpha Theta was on campus, but the chapter got in trouble with JHU and their national closed the chapter for five years (until prior members graduated). With suddenly no strat affiliation, the members reorganized as IX - a social group that was unrecognized by JHU until just a few years ago. Only the founders of IX had any affiliation with Theta. All new IX members are completely separate from the current Theta chapter, which which came back on campus after the five year hiatus.

By: Maybe…
by: AaaaaJul 18, 2023 1:35:28 AM

Do you know how many people are in IX and how they recruit people?

By: Aaaaa

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.