facebook

Sororities on campus

by: Greekk

I don’t attend FIU but I come back to Miami during my breaks from my university up north. And I have to ask why FIU has these non elite and irrelevant sororities? Even your “top houses” would be considered middle at best when compared. Like where are the Big Three (Kappa Kappa Gamma, Kappa Alpha Theta, and Pi Beta Phi)? There isn’t even a tri-delta chapter here either. I feel like Greek life at FIU would be more authentic if these chapters would charter there. Just a thought

Posted By: Greekk
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: duh   

Miss ma'am I have news for you: different chapters are relevant at different schools. Even sororities that are top tier in big greek schools are bottom tier here so there really is no point in comparing.

By: duh
by: Greekk Mar 12, 2021 7:30:11 AM

Yes what you said was partially right. However, sororities and fraternities also have a national reputation based on their alumni. Hence the reasoning of many including myself rushing to be a part of a prestigious sorority with connections. So including at least one of the Big Three would help attract more students to FIU’s Greek life. Also I simply questioned FIU’s Greek life to understand there was no attitude. So with that you mean to tell me Phi Sig or Delta Phi is as attractive as joining Kappa or Theta? Do your Greek research

By: Greekk
by: the more you knowAug 24, 2021 3:23:20 PM

To say that the "Big Three" are the best would be a purely subjective observation. Chi Omega is the largest national sorority in the NPC with more than 300,000 members. This beats any of your three by at least 50,000 members. Delta Delta Delta is also larger than two of your top 3. AOPi has more chapters than any other national sorority, and NONE of the "big three" are even in the top 10 with number of chapters.

As part of the NPC, all national sororities agree to join new campuses when an expansion opportunity is presented. Either those three decided that FIU was not an opportunity they wanted to pursue, or if they did present, they were not selected by the expansion committee.

If you look at University of Miami, the top chapters there are DPhiE and SDT - what you would consider non-elite. Only Pi Phi is at Miami, and they just joined the community and are considered bottom tier for now.

If you look at UF, the top chapters are ADPi, Tri Delta, ZTA and KD. Again, none of your "elite" groups. Theta, Kappa and Pi Phi are all considered middle tier at UF.

At FSU, the same four chapters, ADPi, Tri Delta, ZTA and KD are considered top chapters. And again, your "elite" groups are considered middle tier.

Certainly you can see how your subjective opinion might not hold a lot of value based on just a little research.

By: the more you know
#2  by: Yikes   

Miss girl, your top three aren’t even close to top tier where I go to school.

By: Yikes
#3  by: Greekk    

I simply made a suggestion that FIU should include “elite” sororities like Kappa, Theta, and Pi Phi. I’m aware that Chi Omega has the largest sorority membership. Just like I mentioned in my original post FIU should include Tri-Delta or even ChiO! Lately AOPI has been leaving multiple campuses due to low membership and retainment. I know there’s a chapter in FIU so I don’t want to offend but it’s a fact.

I’m also aware of the selection process from the university and nationals on where to charter. I’m just surprised that the only well known sororities at FIU is Phi Mu and Alpha Chi.

Also like I mentioned in my original post I go to school up “north” aka Texas just to clarify. They were the ones to coin the Big Three as they were the first “sororities” before the term sororities existed along with their successful alumna.

My main purpose of my post was to simply question the selection of sororities at FIU. I can’t speak for everyone but I didn’t apply to FIU due to their unusually options for sororities. Plus it doesn’t help that sororities can’t have houses in Miami.

By: Greekk
by: the more you knowAug 27, 2021 3:54:34 PM

Up north is Texas? LOL

Define successful alumna. I'd be interested to know what sorority you're in.

By: the more you know
#4  by: greekk   

Lol I know but it’s “north” (hence the quotations) from Florida. I’m a Theta at SMU which makes me seem biased. However in the SEC or any southern school that would considered the Big Three. I also used quotes ex “elite” as that’s what they are labeled. I’m not classist in anyway lol. Either way my purpose wasn’t to offend but to question the selection of sororities. Especially when I knew plenty of girls who didn’t want to attend college in Miami since they offer not so well known sororities without houses.

By: greekk

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.