facebook

the current state of greek life at oklahoma state

by: Concerned Parent

I am an Oklahoma State alumni who was involved in Greek Life years ago, and the recent news I've heard about Greek Life at Oklahoma State is alarming. Ever since Ival Gregory left as IFC coordinator, things have gone down hill, and QUICK. Greek Life went from a fun social experience that enhanced relationships and built connections, to an extension of student conduct. For example, Varsity Review used to have 10 shows and now only has 6 because of suspensions. Is every fraternity/sorority this bad, or has student conduct/IFC started cracking down way harder than necessary? It seems they are targeting certain houses, and ignoring the same issues that come up in their alma mater's. Playing favorites isn't a pretty look for this campus, and personally I plan on encouraging my child to go somewhere where he won't get his basic human rights and experience invaded by a tyrannical governing body.

Posted By: Concerned Parent
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Pan & IFC love ❤️    

so true greek life isn’t even fun anymore

By: Pan & IFC love ❤️
by: .Mar 2, 2020 8:59:07 PM

:( agreed

By: .
#2  by: truth   

Its the same at almost all schools. Well maybe not Alabama where the greek alumni still have a lot of power.

Most schools are making greek life bad.

Kicking off any group that even steps one foot out of line.

By: truth
by: AgreeFeb 29, 2020 1:16:13 AM

It's so unfair! If a fraternity hazes it's members and only kills ONE GUY from alcohol poisoning they get in trouble. If they only threaten ONE GUY with a gun they get in trouble. If they only fly one confederate flag they get in trouble. The university is just ruining all the fun when we step even one foot out of line.

By: Agree
#3  by: yes   

Greek life boasts a high average gpa than the average student and is more involved both on and off campus with homecoming and into the streets. I find it a little ridiculous how strict OSU is with greek life, in my opinion it needs to be much more lenient to allow a more fun social experience.

By: yes
#4  by: Well   

It started a couple years ago with some horrible events/tragedies. First with the AGR gun-hazing event. That started a crackdown on fraternity hazing. Sigma Chi then unfortunately had a member die from Alcohol Poisoning in 2016. Those 2 events made state news and probably would’ve made national headlines if they had been the last 2 years. Student conduct has cracked down hard ever since then

By: Well
#5  by: Greek Expert   

ALL the negative news about Greeks has probably at least double the incidents of non-Greeks but it doesn’t make good news. “ Dorm or Apartment GDI” causes injury in DUI incident. But you better believe even if it’s 1/4 the incident in Greek members it would make the news. Greeks are responsible for 90% of endowments, Greeks are 70% of Congress, MOST Presidents and Vice Presidents of the US since the establishment of Greek social fraternities have been Greek as have members of the US Supreme Court. ALL Fortune 500 companies were founded or have had a CEO or President running the company at some point. The top 10 largest startups this decade have ALL been founded by Greek members. It’s time for Greeks to use this power and work to FIRE anti-Greek school administrators but also anti-Greek activist and boycott anti-Greek media. This power is real it just needs to be organized and used!

By: Greek Expert
#6  by: Yup   

I’ve never seen anything more true on this website

By: Yup
#7  by: Uh   

IFC and student conduct have really started to crack down on chapters doing dumb things

By: Uh
#8  by: Not the same   

Your correct. Greek life has changed. My old chapter is not even a fraternity anymore. Just a boys club. They have no respect or gratitude for alumni. No brotherhood. I went back for initiation and very few were dressed appropriately and they were laying around looking at their phones during the ritual. They don't have to work or learn anything to become a member. Sign and your in. It's pathetic.

By: Not the same
by: HmFeb 25, 2020 8:15:43 AM

Sig Ep?

By: Hm
#9  by: sad   

And now ATO is gone

By: sad
#10  by: This place blows   

I hate the way things are headed

By: This place blows

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.