facebook

mountain brook

by: uh

whats the deal about mountain brook??? i keep seeing/hearing about it and how they all are guaranteed a spot in kappa kd and ddd. what makes this area so great?

Posted By: uh
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 2
#1  by: ...   

Most affluent suburb in Alabama (its in Birmingham metro) and one of the most affluent in the nation, I hear (and they will let you know). For kids going to Alabama, they will usually have lots of in-house contacts, probably were raised in a really nice house in a tree-lined street, were in a country club, well traveled, cool summer camps, etc. Almost all end up on old row somewhere. The boys go SAE, DKE and the girls go Kappa, KD, DDD. Lots of "insiders", etc. They have pretty set friend groups and are not known for branching out...

Mountain Brook is not alone in this situation, but they are the most easy group to typecast.

By: ...
by: ...Jul 1, 2015 4:31:14 PM

While I am on here, I may as well elaborate and say that kids from highschools in alabama like the following will be similiar to MB girls in terms of their contacts and background:

Montgomery Academy
Huntsville High
McGill Toolin
Bayside
Vestavia Hills
Oak Mountain
Bob Jones HS
Grissom HS
Randolph School
John Carroll

There are a lot of private schools in more rural areas that have lots of the same type of kids, too.

by: ...Jul 1, 2015 4:33:20 PM

and Donoho and Briarwood. Can't forget them. They may be closest to Mountain Brook, Montgomery Acadamy, Bayside or Vestavia.

by: Don't forgetJul 1, 2015 8:45:00 PM

UMS-Wright
Tuscaloosa Academy
Decatur High

By: Don't forget
by: RaiderJul 1, 2015 9:01:51 PM

Only a certain group at Decatur High, along with some Decatur Heritage.

By: Raider
by: alumJul 2, 2015 11:50:09 AM

St. Pauls & Faith Academy too.
Mobile has lots of Bama legacies.

By: alum
by: MobileAug 7, 2016 6:44:30 AM

Shocked to hear that Faith Academy has so much pull. In Mobile it is considered very working class and most kids are there because their families are super right wing conservative Christians. It is not prestigious AT ALL.

And no one said St Pauls?

I feel certain the girls from Mobile's Springhill Neighborhood have plenty of connections

By: Mobile
by: MobileAug 7, 2016 6:45:56 AM

^^^sorry. Just saw St Pauls

By: Mobile
#2  by: okay   

Just a warning, you will not have to guess that someone is from Mountain Brook, because they will tell you. Even if it isn't relevant. And their sense of self-entitlement will be a dead giveaway.

By: okay
by: lolJul 1, 2015 5:47:27 PM

Love my brookies but this is too true.

By: lol
by: ThisSep 22, 2019 6:45:52 AM

Only MB girls think MB is better than the rest of well.....everywhere.

By: This
#3  by: Spartygirl   

Hey MB girl here. Don't listen to this stuff. We are really nice when we want something from you and not everyone is rich in MB. We have some kids that went only to YMCA camps and drive used cars. Sure, they are used BMWs, Lexus SUVs and Tahoes, but hey...

By: Spartygirl
by: It's funny Jul 4, 2015 12:24:39 PM

LOL at Bama girls thinking a Tahoe is in the same caliber of car as a BMW, Lexus, etc.

By: It's funny
#4  by: brookie   

Mountain brook people are like everyone else, some are spoiled but some are cool and down to earth. @Uh, to answer your question, the reason mountain brook is brought up a lot is because so many people from mountain brook end up at UA. You'll probably meet at least one on your first day of rush. Also, mb has a lot of pretty, fun girls who are labeled as top rushees, then go on to join top houses. There are also a good deal of legacies from the area.

By: brookie
by: JfjrhdkdkJul 1, 2015 7:57:10 PM

@brookie is right -- same is true for the girls from the other highschools someone listed above. Like MB, schools like Vestavia, McGill, Briarwood, all have their fair share of stuck up girls that are "top" pnms and have little interest in branching out. Other girls from those schools are totally down to earth and awesome.

By: Jfjrhdkdk
#5  by: O.o   

A difference might be that MB has a lot, lot of Bama legacies. More than Vestavia, Carroll, McGill and other big schools.

By: O.o
by: IMHO. Jul 1, 2015 8:22:53 PM

If you ask me, Briarwood and Vestavia girls are the most full of themselves and make MB pnms seem chill. Maybe it's an old money, new money thing.

By: IMHO.
by: VestaviaJul 2, 2015 11:20:59 AM

Has always had an inferiority complex when it comes to MB. I think that's because First Circle + Kappa used to never take Vestavia (or Hoover) girls.

By: Vestavia
by: alumJul 2, 2015 11:43:34 AM

For the most part, they still don't, other than AGD.

By: alum
by: ClassJul 3, 2015 8:33:53 AM

This is an interesting post re Vestavia and Hoover and those areas not being factors at kappa, kd, tridelt and why we see those areas a lot more represented in axo, xo, pm.

So which houses are bottom of old row? Kappa, KD? So no inferiority complex from Hoover or Vestavia.

By: Class
by: LegaciesJul 3, 2015 8:41:15 AM

at all the schools mentioned. Just that B'ham is not a Bama town. Lots of the top girls go to Auburn. They also go to Vandy, Old Miss, B'ham-southern, Samford, Georgia and more "random" schools like Virginia and Wake Forest. Back in the 60's when the suburban school systems were being created, Mtn. Brook decided to look down on the other suburbs. But PM and AXO always loaded with Vestavia and Hoover. And sorry, Vestavia does not have inferiority complex. Does get tiresome that MB wants to join Vestavia CC if they can't get in at Birmingham or Shoal Creek and then they want to be uppity.

By: Legacies
by: GoJul 3, 2015 9:43:28 AM

Go Bucks.
Go Rebels.

By: Go
#6  by: Mb   

MB is changing for Bama cause all the good legacy pnms are going to ole miss and vandy

By: Mb
by: Cough.....Jul 4, 2015 10:56:27 AM

Vandy's student population is probably the most diverse in the south. And, they take students who value diversity. Don't think MB fits this criteria, but nice try. Employed at said institution for 20+ years. Vandy is very competitive when it comes to grades as well.

By: Cough.....
by: TrueJul 4, 2015 11:39:11 AM

Ok. Ole miss then. But a good amount of 2015 MB grads (and
Bama legacies) are going elsewhere for some reason when they had been Bama for years. Not talking the top academic kids. Talking the social crowd. Auburn trending up too for MB.

By: True
#7  by: Psh   

Bunch of bs. Kids at UA will brag about being from Mountain Brook even though most of the out of state kids at Bama are from wealthier more affluent towns, cities and states. Don't give the uppity people the time of day.

By: Psh
by: @pshJul 3, 2015 7:08:49 AM

True there are lots of kids at UA of same or more affluence than MB. Heck, there are other parts of Birmingham and Mobile just as affluent or more affluent than MB. Really it's just a couple of sections of Mountain Brook that are truly rich. On lists, MB on average are about like Manassas Va, south lake and University Park Tx, Wellsley Mass, various nice New Jersey suburbs, Newport Beach Ca., Potomac Maryland, Palo Alto

By: @psh
by: @pshJul 3, 2015 7:20:57 AM

Mountain Brook, with a population of 20,989, has an affluence index of 29.83 and a median household income of $129,034. It ranks No. 144 in affluence when compared to other U.S. communities.
Also among the top 10 affluent communities in Alabama include:
• Indian Springs Village with an affluence index of 17.36 and a population of 2,571 (No. 2);
• Meadowbrook with an affluence index of 15.69 and a population of 5,566 (No. 3);
• Vestavia Hills with an affluence index of 15.07 and a population of 31,191 (No. 4);
• Pike Road with an affluence index of 11.26 and a population of 4,397 (No. 5);
• Blue Ridge with an affluence index of 10.76 and a population of 1,164 (No. 6);
• Madison with an affluence index of 10.55 and a population of 39,652 (No. 7);
• Hoover with an affluence index of 10.09 and a population of 70,149 (No. 8);

• Trusville with an affluence index of 8.12 and a population of 18,283 (No. 9);
• Orange Beach with an affluence index of 7.94 and a population of 5,864 (No. 10)

By: @psh
by: AlmostJul 29, 2023 7:41:24 AM

The instate kids from Mountain Brook and Mobile that think they are from some of the wealthiest areas in the Nation crack us OOR students up. My bestie here is from Greenwich, CT, I grew up in La Jolla, CA, and my BF grew up on the upper West side of Manhattan. We are all here because either we have family legacies (for me, my mom and grandpa), we got a huge merit scholarships or some other program (my BF will get his engineering degree and MBA in 5 years), or we wanted something different than the places we grew up in. Having a great time here.

None of us are in OR because, you know, we don’t have the class or money or whatever. More like we don’t fit into houses with girls that have 8 generations of family that have never left the South and never will. They pretend like the rest of the country doesn’t exist and international travel is not something they do unless you count their spring break trips to Mexico or the Caribbean where they stay on the resort grounds the whole time.

Their provincial attitudes are interesting and the fact that they actually do feel like they are better than everyone else was not expected. However, that’s not a big deal because they mostly just stay in their same social circles and the same 4-5 sororities and 4-5 fraternities.

By: Almost
#8  by: Go   

So pnms, I think this thread tells a lot. MB thinks they are superior (when they are not), try to be "exclusive," don't branch out, and nobody likes them much-- both in-state and out of state. They own kappa, KD and DDD though. Seriously, look up last PC14 on google and try to find MB in houses other than those. Rare indeed. They are not all "top" and so this is why KD and kappa have fallen.

By: Go
by: Right Jul 4, 2015 5:05:39 AM

Bump

By: Right
#9  by: OOS PNM    

Woah sorry, this isn't a very relevant comment, but I was just really surprised with like the populations of some of these small "affluent" towns cuz I grew up in what I consider a smaller town in Orange County, California with about 80,000 people, and my mom grew up in Newport Beach, California. this whole concept of area and affluency bias is really weird to me. Is it really that big of a factor??????

By: OOS PNM
by: Can be Jul 5, 2015 5:31:05 PM

It is stupid but definitely can be. Especially for alpha gam, xo, kappa, KD. Those are among the houses that are really focused, in my opinion, on friends of actives and girls from back in their hometown.

By: Can be
by: YesJul 6, 2015 10:34:49 PM

It has been for a long time. But its only at Bama. Vestavia, Hoover, Homewood, Spain Park girls can go to any other school in the southeast and be rushed by all the houses. My sister-in-law went to KKG pref because of family connections but they wouldn't pledge her because she was from Hoover.

By: Yes
#10  by: @class   

so a girl from the Midwest who dresses "southern" and was raised by a southern family with the same morals would have a chance at old row? wondering because I feel like I fit in with girls from the south and the way of life more than I do up here.

By: @class
by: ..Jul 12, 2015 10:58:38 AM

There are girls from all over the country in every single sorority. If you fit in, they won't care where you're from, in most cases.

By: ..

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.