facebook

being thin....

by: Be honest!

How important is it to be thin for rush?

Posted By: Be honest!
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: Active   

It depends on how good your connections are. After that it pretty much comes down to luck. I know one overweight girl from my high school who had pretty good grades and resume and went old row (with no legacy or anything) and I know another who had great grades and involvement who slipped through and is in a bottom house. So yeah, connections and luck. Houses will cut you for not being thin. Really unfortunate for smart ambitious girls who deserve to be in high performing houses, but that's just the way it is.

By: Active
by: HonestMay 29, 2015 3:58:46 PM

Thank you for your honesty !!!

By: Honest
by: In additionJun 10, 2015 10:23:38 PM

Houses may cut you for being too thin.
"Smart ambitious girls...deserve to be in 'high performing houses' " - wow, talk about presumptuous. Maybe those girls aren't as smart as they think they are.

By: In addition
#2  by: Another active   

As someone who has experienced this firsthand, it can be really discouraging. I fortunately ended up in a house that I have really grown to love (not that I was unhappy at the beginning). It was definitely frustrating to see the girl next to me in my rho chi who flat out told me she had a 2.7 GPA have almost a full schedule every day, when I was getting cut from houses where I had awesome conversations, or when I walked into a house and could immediately tell I was in the cut room. HOWEVER I would remind you (and any other PNM worried about their weight for rush) your experience will be great if you make it so. Just prepare yourself because it won't be an easy week, but you can do it!

By: Another active
by: wonderingMay 29, 2015 11:31:07 PM

what does a "cut room" look like?

By: wondering
by: Another activeMay 29, 2015 11:39:18 PM

If you sit down and your rusher is unattractive or awkward or the other PNMs around you are unattractive or awkward you probably won't be back. Not all sororities dedicate a room to this but some do and it's pretty obvious.

By: Another active
by: WhoopsJun 11, 2015 12:38:33 AM

Sorry, should have clarified- 2.7 girl was extremely thin and pretty. Yes, she had connections.

By: Whoops
#3  by: In coming freshman   

What is considered heavy? Just curious.

By: In coming freshman
by: It depends on heightMay 29, 2015 11:18:06 PM

I'm 5'7 and look good at 145 pounds. But a 5'2 girl would be heavy at 145. The number isn't relevant. Do you look and feel good? Then you're fine.

By: It depends on height
by: ActiveMay 29, 2015 11:36:48 PM

Like it or not it's relevant during rush. Wish it wasn't that way but it is.

by: ActiveMay 29, 2015 11:42:50 PM

Sorry, yes, misread the first comment. The number doesn't matter to an extent but the way you actually look does.

#4  by: Active   

Honestly, most of the girls are healthy, fit, and "thin." Having pudge or some chunk doesn't make you a whale and not worthy of a house. They just want to see the best version of yourself as you should, too. If they cut you because you aren't skin and bones, then you had a blessing because that is not the right place for anyone

#5  by: @behonest   

I feel ya! I'm 5'2 and pretty dang close to 145 so it sounds like I'm going to have a rough time. But hell, I guess I'll get into a sorority that's cool with it.

By: @behonest
#6  by: Shallow Hal   

Get on a diet if y'all want a bid from zeta!!!

By: Shallow Hal
by: HonestlyJun 10, 2015 10:22:57 PM

It isn't necessarily a HUGE factor, like the only quality a sorority will come you for, but if you do not have strong connections or just average grades it may be a determining factor. I know that is terrible, but sometimes it is a way to quickly eliminate girls... Not always weight, but looks.

By: Honestly
#7  by: Truthfully   

At this point in the game, your weight is one of the few things about yourself that you can change. You can't change how much money your family has, your grades, your connections, your overall facial appearance, but you can sweat your butt off and practice healthy eating (because believe me that gets harder when you've a fully stocked cafeteria for meals!) Don't go on any extreme crash diets or anything, but you can tone up and look good in time for rush.

By: Truthfully

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.