facebook

wondering

by: Uuujbg

Has an "old row" house even fallen into "new row" status or vice versa or is the old/new thing just two different groups that stay separate for all these tiers and rankings y'all post?

Posted By: Uuujbg
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 2
#1  by: Oldster   

No.
The designations are set in stone. They'll never, ever change.

By: Oldster
by: Actually....May 25, 2015 6:08:40 PM

AXO wasn't always old row, they joined later and paid DZ for their spot because DZ got kicked off old row in the late 80s. And Phi Mu joined old row later when Zeta got kicked off, and paid them for their old row spot too.

By: Actually....
by: ^May 26, 2015 10:55:20 AM

Pretty sure ZTA and DZ have never been Old Row. My understanding is that the original sorority group was Alpha Gam, Chi O, DDD, KD, and Kappa.

By: ^
by: No DZMay 26, 2015 11:23:04 AM

you were never old row, nice try.

By: No DZ
by: lolSep 20, 2015 3:03:15 AM

Phi Mu pays ADPi for their old row spot

By: lol
#2  by: Active   

Our ranking system is very different. Here, what your house was like in 1950 still matters. "Tiers" may never actually change, but how much a house is actually respected changes a lot and that matters too. For example, one or two old row houses have gotten really sloppy, and while I would still consider them a top house, I have met very few members who I respect or would consider a top person. Along the same vein, there are several houses that have a lot of nice, normal girls, and they will probably always be considered middle or bottom. It's just the way it goes here.

By: Active
#3  by: Yes   

Houses have left and joined old row, but it hasn't changed in a while.

By: Yes
by: ListenMay 16, 2015 9:58:56 AM

The OP means tiers, not the Old Row organization.

By: Listen
#4  by: It's dumb   

Zeta is the second oldest continuously running sorority on campus and they're considered new row. The new row fraternities EX, KE, Pi Kapp, ZBT, and LXA are all older than old row AGD, XO, Kappa, AXO and Phi Mu, and in addition Pike, DTD and DX are older than Kappa and Phi Mu. There's no logic to how DZ and Zeta have been continuously on campus longer than a number of the old row sororities, and there is also no logic to how the fraternities have been here continuously as long or longer than some or most of the old row sororities still get the title of new row.

By: It's dumb
by: FunMay 17, 2015 9:15:30 AM

old/new is just a description of the houses viewed as "top" or not. "old row" just describes that top group. But what is "top" for a pnm depends really on where they click. Kids that are of a certain background, are connected, and sort of really played the "cool" thing in high school, their parents are very social in the home town and are Greek legacies at bama, and are good looking enough-- are drawn to old row. And because group think reinforces that as desirable, they both want it and it is likely their best choice. If you are not of that situation, be careful about being sucked in to group think because you could regret the choice. Keep your wits about you dear pnms. This should be a highly personal choice and will impact your college experience..

By: Fun
by: It's dumbMay 17, 2015 5:22:09 PM

if thats the criteria, than it should be thrown out as well. Phi Delt is old row, and until recently they may well have been ranked around dead last among all the affiliated fraternities. OX is new row, and they are clearly better than Phi Gam and Sigma Nu who've both had a number of questionable PCs lately, and there are arguably 2 or 3 other new row fraternities on par with or better those two houses also, meaning that only SAE, DKE and KA are really maintaining that hold. Same with some of the better new row sororities being as good or better than some of the old row sororities in all but an artificial label and a little party and shirt. It's a dumb label that makes patsies of the Machine workhorses.

By: It's dumb
by: ...May 17, 2015 9:49:15 PM

I think we can all agree that new vs. old row is a false comparision. Maybe the only thing we can know is that old row frats and sororities will have a higher percentage of legacies and will have a greater percentage of members from Alabama (because legacies will be concentrated in Alabama). With more and more students OOS and on scholarship, there is definately a change going on. While old row gets their fair share of the excellent OOS additions to UA, they may not have the advantages of past years. It is true that many new row houses (both sororitys and frats) have merited substantial recognition and have, objectively, "out performed" many old row chapters for several years now. The only people pushing the old vs. new concept are those in the old row chapters and who want to feel that this some how makes them of higher quality in some way. If they believe it, let them. It is their lose. Not yours.

By: ...
by: @FunSep 17, 2015 10:28:34 AM

False. Old Row is an organization sponsored by Budweiser. Anyone can join. All it takes is money. I'm in an Old Row house myself so I would know. Take DG and Zeta for example. They both can't join because their nationals forbid them from joining an organization sponsored by an alcoholic beverage. DG was Old Row before they left in the 70's but times have changed since then and so have the rules so until both Zeta's and DG's nationals make an exception, they will be "new row."

So you see, the whole "Old Row" deal isn't about how old you are. It's about whether or not you're part of an organization that's sponsored by Budweiser. You got an extra party and some Tshirts. That's literally all it is.

By: @Fun
#5  by: Fun   

This from sorority101.

The question came up yesterday…”Which is better an Old Row sorority or a New Row sorority?”

The answer is : “You can’t limit yourself to such pettiness”.

If you get caught up in the “social reputation” of a particular sorority then you are in this for the wrong reason and inevitably will be disappointed in your sorority experience. When referring to Old Row and New Row houses we are generally talking about SEC schools and in particular schools like Alabama, Ole Miss, University of South Carolina just to name a few.

The term “Old Row” delineates sorority and fraternity houses that pay extra $$$ to have that label. The label “Old Row” carries with it a certain amount of prestige. This prestige is generated by a false sense that “Old Row” girls are prettier, more popular, more likely to win Homecoming Queen…you get the idea.

So back to the question at hand…”Old Row or “New Row”?

If you are worried about this than most likely you are going through recruitment at a school that has a VERY competitive rush. Letters of recommendation are a must. In addition those sororities that are termed “Old Row” most likely have enough young women who are legacies to fill at least one and maybe two pledge classes. These houses are old, staid, traditionally “southern roots” sororities. And…I am here to tell you that as of today, May 16th…with recruitment a little less than 3 months away, most legacy heavy houses have about 1/3rd of the pledges that they want already chosen! Seriously!!!

I remember calling the national offices of one such “Old Row” sorority to ask a question about my daughter’s legacy status. My husbands mother is a member of this particular house and since there was a chapter at Alabama I wanted to understand whether they considered my daughter a legacy. After what I would term “a talking to” the woman informed me that “no” my daughter was not considered a legacy (granddaughters are not legacies) and she then went on a diatribe about how they have enough legacies to fill multiple pledge classes and yep, they most likely have already picked the girls who will make up the pledge class for that year. Oh by the way this was March!!!!

What I am trying to tell you is to not get caught up in the “label” but to focus on the girls who are going to be your sisters. Remember the mantra, “Maximize your options!” Keep an open mind and be open to what each house has to offer. Don’t listen to the “tent talk” and the reputation labeling. If you limit yourself to the houses that are just “Old Row” then you most likely will be disappointed. You will be setting yourself up for potentially not getting a bid at all. Remember that girls with “Old Row” ties have been visiting and making connections with these sororities for quite a while. These girls have connections through summer camp, legacies, high school, hometown friends. They have a “foot in the door” so to speak.

So don’t limit yourself to labels. In fact I would your best to not even concern yourself with them. Don’t limit yourself to just a few houses but be open to every house on campus. You are looking to find a “home” not a “house”. I have told my children that a “house” is just bricks and sticks but what makes it a “home” is the loving family inside.

Todays’ quote says it all..

.”What we love determines what we seek.” Seek you those who are like you…girls you can create a sisterly, loving bond with.

“What we seek determines what we think and do.” Once you are a member in a sorority that compliments you then you will become one with those sisters. and the ideals and values of your sorority.

“What we think and do determines what we become”. The ideals and values of your sorority will become part of your daily life. Putting them to practice will enable you to do great things!

By: Fun
by: I May 17, 2015 4:51:32 PM

Just want to thank you for your post. Please girls read this and go with your heart. Real friendship is never forced nor can it be. Just like love . You either feel it or you dont. So go with what is true for you and you will always win no matter what anyone says ok? In the end you have to live with you so what you think is all that matters. Keep yourself in prayer and be kind to everyone you met. You never know where the next great friendship will come from!

By: I
by: GoSep 15, 2015 10:24:39 PM

Again

By: Go
#6  by: This is a very old post   

There hasn't been a new post on sororitygirl101 since July 2014.

This blogger has done a lot of damage suggesting to PNM's that they MUST have Lilly Pulitzer, Tory Burch and David Yurman, yada yada yada - she is one of the people most responsible for misguided PNM hysteria over the past 4-5 years. Her understanding of Recruitment at UA is very out of date. Probably why she hasn't posted in almost a year....

By: This is a very old post
by: ActiveMay 17, 2015 4:52:24 PM

Regardless of what her other posts are like, the above quote is spot on

By: Active
by: I'veMay 17, 2015 6:33:29 PM

read every post on her website and she never said that PNMs must have all those designer items. She did say that when her daughter went through at UA they went and got all those designer things because she wanted to, not that you would get dropped by every house if you didn't have all those things. Yes, sometimes she would encourage PNMs to look a certain way or have certain items like the ones you named, but she never said it was absolutely necessary. But that's just my opinion! And yes the above post is most definitely spot on.

By: I've
by: excuse youMay 17, 2015 7:07:41 PM

this woman helped me privately during my rush experience and a number of other girls as well. i went old row. she has a daughter who JUST GRADUATED from bama ADPi. i think she gets it.

By: excuse you
by: @thisMay 17, 2015 9:40:20 PM

So do you agree or disagree with the content of the post? It seems to convey some valuable information that was correct in 2013, would have been correct in 2003, and certainly is informative and responsive in 2015. What is your purpose in attacking the source but not the information?

By: @this
by: ..Sep 16, 2015 10:53:06 PM

Same she helped me privately as well. She knows what she's talking about and what she's doing.

By: ..
#7  by: Some Bama History   

Kappa Sigma is a lot older than some of the old row fraternity's. They used to be old row until they got kicked off in the late 1970's for burning a giant cross on Kappa's front lawn in retaliation for Kappa Voting against the machine causing the first black SGA president to be elected. Pretty sure they're never allowed to be back on Old Row

By: Some Bama History
by: KappaMay 18, 2015 5:23:24 AM

But Kappa stayed w machine? Guess it worked.

By: Kappa
#8  by: Blah   

zeta and adpi are texhnically supposed to be old row but can't be sponsored by alcohol so they sell their spot

By: Blah
by: amenSep 15, 2015 11:06:17 PM

finally explained

By: amen
by: hmSep 16, 2015 11:43:26 AM

what if zeta or adpi were to take their spot back?

By: hm
#9  by: Sos   

So "old row" is available for purchase ? Lol

By: Sos
#10  by: So    

Zeta, ADPi, and DG were all old row before they were put on prohibition or left campus and came back... Like DG was old row before they left and were asked to be back on it when they came back... None of these sororities can be sponsored by alcoholic beverages which is what sponsors the old row name. The only ones that are set in stone is what is referred to as "First Circle" which was the first three houses in their old, original place on sorority row... DDD, KD, and AGD.

By: So
by: ^Sep 16, 2015 2:19:28 PM

I don't think Old Row (as in the party and the T-shirts) became a thing until the early '80s, and I don't think ADPi or ZTA have ever been part of it.

DG was in The Machine and got their spot back when they recolonized. I think they missed the whole Old Row thing since they closed in the late '70s, but they were a bottom house besides. (If you look at old yearbooks from around the time they closed, they were way smaller than the other chapters.)

By: ^
by: NoSep 17, 2015 11:42:36 AM

Zeta, ADPi, and DG have never been "Old Row." Being an Old Row house has nothing to do with Budweiser, how old a chapter is on campus, being invited, or with buying a spot. These are all just rumors spread around by people who are not or were never in an Old Row house.

By: No
by: Fun factSep 18, 2015 5:45:40 PM

They actually weren't a bottom house as you say. DG was actually quite good. They weren't tip top I don't think but they definitely rivaled some of the better houses. They just pulled most of their women from Mississippi since their alpha chapter is at Ole Miss.

By: Fun fact

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.