facebook

do rankings matter?

by: pnm

I'm trying to keep an open mind going through recruitment but I definitely have some ideas about some sororities after reading things on here. What I'm asking though is if you're in a "lower tier" sorority does it really change your experience? I know there are all types of girls in each sorority but do other people on campus treat you differently based on your sorority? And does your sorority really affect whether some fraternity will hang out with you or not?

Posted By: pnm
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: pnm   

Oh and just adding on, I know these aren't reasons to choose a sorority. I was just wondering after reading different rankings!

By: pnm
#2  by: Guest   

I'm in a "top tier" sorority, and honestly, no being in a lower tier sorority will not affect your experience in the slightest. If you're a cool girl, you're a cool girl, and boys will want to hang out with you whether you're a Phi Mu or a Gamma Phi. And honestly, after Bid Day, no one gives a damn about rankings or whatever. Focus on finding your home, and I promise you'll be extremely happy.

By: Guest
#3  by: no   

I'm in a lower tier sorority and I have friends in old row, new row, top tier, and bottom tier. I go to whatever fraternity parties I want and boys don't treat me differently when I say what sorority I'm in. No one looks down on me because of my sorority. Just go wherever you feel comfortable because that's where you'll make the most friends and have the best experience whether that's in a top tier or lower tier sorority.

By: no
by: noMay 13, 2015 9:12:43 PM

also if anyone does treat you differently that's just a sign that they're shallow and not someone you want in your life anyway

By: no
#4  by: KL   

I'm in the "worst" sorority, and to be honest, it does affect your experience. And before everybody starts attacking me, there are some upsides to it. For example, I feel pretty comfortable in my house, and I have made some amazing friends that I'll have for life. However, we don't mix with a lot of fraternities or have very fun or well-attended philanthropy events, and there are a lot of people who do look down on us. Granted, if somebody is going to judge me for the sorority I'm in, they're not worth my while, but I will admit it was a little disheartening at first until I got used to it. So, honestly, if I could be in another sorority, I'd probably do so, but I still have had a really good time so far in mine!

By: KL
by: ActiveMay 23, 2015 7:29:20 PM

To clarify I'm in a lower tier house too and these things are definitely valid points but I can't imagine coming on here and saying this.

By: Active
#5  by: Answer   

First and foremost, you are here to get an education. Secondly, if you plan to rush then you should be considering houses that you love and where you can make life long friendships. Otherwise to choose a house based on the opinions/gossip/rankings/etc., is to set yourself up for disaster. If people treat you differently based on the house you choose, this is no different than any other choices in life you will make (career, partner, children, where you live, and so on.) People are different and have different criteria for what makes them happy.

As far as any fraternity is concerned, you will have fun regardless. In other words, 1) priority is education, not marriage and 2) just because a fraternity is considered "better" doesn't mean it is the best guys for YOU.

Make the decisions that make you happy and happiness will follow you. It is that simple. Anyone who gets their self value from what someone else thinks, is not happy. Golden rule, promise.

By: Answer
by: 👍May 25, 2015 1:42:40 PM

Why anyone would give this post a thumbs down is beyond me. I guess misery loves company. It's quite lonely being miserable alone.

By: 👍
#6  by: New girl   

My house is lower tier and people aren't always the nicest about it. Some fraternities aren't allowed to talk to us and a lot of times at parties guys will ask what sorority I'm in and when I tell them they're just sort of like "oh..." And trail off. And these are lower tier fraternities too! I do like my sorority but it wasn't my first choice at all. I'm trying to keep an open mind and I'm meeting new people and I think I could end up being happy but the way other people think of me is a lot to get used to.

By: New girl
by: :)Sep 6, 2015 11:42:04 AM

Hang in there! You have a good attitude. You're probably a really great asset to your house and you could help it get rid of that reputation that your house shouldn't even have in the first place.

By: :)

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.