facebook

opinions

by: Perspective

I'm currently considering attending UA next fall. Greek life is something I really look forward to in college. I have heard that Bama has a very very harsh greek system and fits the stereotypes. I'm a pretty liberal person from chicago. I'm not your typical sorority girl by any means but really want the full college experience. So I guess I was just wondering if greek life is taken as seriously as I've heard and if there's really as much drama and superficiality? Or if what I've heard is wrong. Opinions and perspectives would be much appreciated

Posted By: Perspective
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: liberal and northern   

Being northern isn't too bad but being liberal will definitely hurt you in a lot of houses here.. keep your political views your yourself, most definitely. get recs and you should be fine.

By: liberal and northern
#2  by: ---   

I'm the same way. it really all depends on who you hang out with in your sorority. Most chapters have upwards of 300 women, which means that no matter which house you're in, you'll meet girls who are like you and girls who aren't. I doubt you'll find many other liberals (I haven't) so just expect to get your political friends in your classes. The Greek system here is unbelievably superficial at times, but if you find the right group of friends you'll barely notice. Good luck!!

By: ---
#3  by: observer   

There are very superficial elements in Greek life, but I think a majority of that regarding tiers and which frats you hang out with, etc...dramatically decreases after freshman year. So many people come from high school being in a clique and running the social scene that they are shell shocked coming into college, and they are clueless as to what they should do. So, they start saying you need to be A, B, C and have this and that to fit in. There are general socially accepted ways to dress and act, but overall there are plenty of down to earth girls who just want a sisterhood and to enjoy college. It is the south, so don't discuss your political views during rush or when getting to know people. I would suggest sharing that with people you get close to but not forcing it upon them. Use class and the liberal foundations of education to express your views and just avoid it in a social context. That can sound fake almost but it just is customary and you will definitely still find girls who feel the same, just not maybe about a political issue. Give Greek life a chance and experience it yourself, if you are easy to get along with and can engage in a conversation, you will do just fine. Be yourself, relax, and just smile.

By: observer
by: SiriuslyMar 6, 2015 9:39:58 PM

And that thing about recs? Don't worry about it.

By: Siriusly
by: yesMar 7, 2015 11:45:37 PM

Definitely give it a try! Also, please DO get recs, they are super important here, not always required but highly recommended and to your benefit to get them. Also, it's a group of 300+ girls, so there's always going to be some drama somewhere. There's girls who are straight up superficial, some it takes a little longer to figure out that they are, girls who could care less about the Yurman on your wrist and the letters on your shirt, and everything in between.

By: yes
#4  by: eh   

You will definitely find your fair share of card carrying young republicans in Greek life, but college students in general are pretty liberal and sorority women aren't excluded from that. You'll be fine.

By: eh
by: UA Greek Mar 10, 2015 1:37:16 AM

is diverse due too nearly half of the girls are OOS, plus remember it id your experience... Meaning it is what you make it. Just have fun with it, do the suggested recs, etc. You'll be thankful you did in the long run, go in with a an open mind about trying something new. It cannot hurt

By: UA Greek

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.