facebook

blacks in fraternities

by: Rtr2014

What I've never understood is why do traditionally white fraternities not want black members even if said blacks would fit in with the guys? If you can be friends with them and have them to your house all the time, why not just give them a bid and at least give them a chance to be a part of our awesome Greek system?

Posted By: Rtr2014
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 2
#1  by: alum   

The Alum with the $$ would have an uproar

By: alum
#2  by: Rtr2014   

That's what I've heard, but at the same time- I know plenty of alums at old row fraternities pushing for it, so wtf

By: Rtr2014
#3  by: Well.............   

there's a lot of things you don't understand. Including, why traditional black fraternities don't rush white members.....get it? People want 'freedom' to associate with whom they choose.

By: Well.............
by: LOLAug 1, 2014 11:23:26 PM

^black fraternities and sororities do not rush at all in the sense of NPC/IFC. You rush 1 house for like a semester (some longer, some shorter) in secret.

By: LOL
by: AlexAug 7, 2014 6:15:55 PM

The black fraternity was created because blacks weren't allowed in white ones. White people are free and welcomed to join black fraternities..They just don't.

By: Alex
#4  by: This   

Is a stupid argument that you will never win. Yes, there are blacks who don't fit in the traditional black fraternities and fit in with the traditional white fraternities. Yes, there are some blacks who get along well with fraternity members but won't get a bid. It's just how it is at Bama. It's really not fair to the blacks who have nothing to do with the black fraternities not rushing whites. If you really want to be apart of a greek system, I suggest going to another school. Being a GDI sucks and you'll always envy your friends in fraternities. I hate to be the bear of bad news but it's just the unfair reality.

By: This
#5  by: Well   

Actually it's going to change a lot this year.
Black students will have a lot more opportunities within the next couple semesters than they ever had before

By: Well
by: ActiveJul 21, 2014 7:19:56 PM

We should not be force to accept anyone. If so, then the black fraternities and sororities should be forced to actively reach out to and recruit white people for their lines.

By: Active
by: AlexAug 7, 2014 6:19:33 PM

@Active. Shut he hell up

By: Alex
#6  by: well   

this sucks

By: well
#7  by: This    

This is a disgrace. As a member of a traditionally white fraternity here at UA, I think it's an absolute shame that qualified african american students do not receive bids. Obviously it is up to the house to make the decision and forced integration/affirmative action is simply insincere and fake, but seriously, students coming from sane and educated families not considering classy, well dressed, intelligent african americans? I for one, plan to take an active role in being more open minded to different races in my house. Stop making our school and greek system look bad and wake up. It's 2014.

By: This
by: ActuallyJul 21, 2014 7:23:18 PM

You could say the same about the NPHC at Alabama. You're right, this is 2014. Therefore, they should also be forced to reach out to white people as well other races.

By: Actually
#8  by: I    

don't know of anyone that's white that wants to be in a NPHC fraternity lol and if so, two wrongs don't make a right. That argument is invalid.

By: I
by: exactlyJul 22, 2014 3:43:46 PM

….do you not understand the reason NPHC organizations were formed in the first place? because AAs were shunned and rejected from traditional ones. and guess what? they're still being shunned and rejected. trying to spin this around and call them out makes no sense. the ball has been in our court now for decades.

By: exactly
#9  by: JD   

I think we'll see some integration this rush.

By: JD
#10  by: T    

There is already some integration and there will be more.

By: T

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.