facebook

help making friends in my sorority

by: lost

Hey yall, Im really looking for some advice. I rushed this year as a sophomore and I've been having a really hard time making friends in my sorority. I have like 3 close friends and my big who I talk to and hang out with at the house and a couple of times a week but I feel really left out because I haven't found my "group" yet. I don't go DT so I think that may be part of the reason because so many girls meet by going out with each other. I thought this semester would be better with eating at the house but I feel really uncomfortable sitting with girls I dont know when my friends arent with me. I'm paying all this money and had so many expectations for making my "lifelong" friends but its not happening and I'm getting more an more discouraged, I spent this whole past weekend alone at my apartment. I love my sorority and I think all my sisters are amazing but I thought this would be better by now. If anyone has ANY advice on how to meet more girls and make more friends or has been in my situation please give me some advice, and it would mean a lot to me. I want to put myself out there but I dont want to seem pathetic and needy by trying too hard to become close with girls that already have their best friends. :( Also the sorority I'm in is irrelevant to this question.

Posted By: lost
Post Reply Report
Page 1 of 1
#1  by: PanhellenicHelp   

You sound exactly like me one year ago. It truly will get better. Most girls make really great friends during recruitment since you're together for so long, and you get to know all sorts of things about your sisters that you never would have had the chance to otherwise. You are also allowed to have friends outside of your sorority-- that's not forbidden once you join Greek life. Balance is key. Don't turn down opportunities to do things with your sisters (unless they make you uncomfortable of course), but don't expect it to be all that you do. Eventually you will get familiar with people at the house, and bond.

By: PanhellenicHelp
#2  by: its ok   

i rushed as a freshman, but i was kind of in the same boat (just graduated). i ended up with a few really close friends in my sorority, but my best friends (including a couple in mine) were scattered across all of GL, GDIs, and some athletes. there's not one mold or formula that says you are going to be bff's with every girl in your sorority... i wasn't, but i am grateful for all the time i spent with them, and for the fact that i had a life outside of it. that said, give it some time and enjoy being in your group, but don't limit yourself.

By: its ok
by: its okJan 26, 2015 3:24:19 PM

and i should clarify... i do have a few "lifelong" friends from my sorority, but probably no more than a handful.

and fwiw, i did go out A LOT. and i met people because of that. not sure if that's not your scene or you don't drink or whatever, but truthfully, you may be limiting yourself in traditional friendship routes because of it.

By: its ok
#3  by: truth   

Get involved!!!! Join a committee or find a panhellenic event or intramural sport you're interested in and play on behalf of your sorority. You have to start doing stuff that forces yourself to hang out and talk with people, then you'll make friends out of it!

By: truth

Before you type:  Remember, do not post names, initials, or any derogatory content.

Nickname:
POPULAR ON GREEKRANK

Didn't find your school?Request for your school to be featured on GreekRank.